Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I love the looks of the quad tips on the Borla pipes, but I can't for the life of me tell the difference between the three kinds.

I'm not after an obnoxiously loud set of pipes, but the Borla website just says they all make your car louder and sound better, but give no indication of just how much louder each one is.

So what, from a volume/tone standpoint, is the difference between the S-Type, X-type and ATAK systems? Which one is the quietest/loudest?

And just how loud is loud? (I had carbon pipes on my 1k v-twin sportbike, that was pretty loud when I twisted the loud handle). I want to hear the motor, but I don't want to attract too much attention from the local fuzz.

Which one is the one that MOPAR brand?

Cheers.

ps. How the hell do I know if I have an EZC or EZH engine? (still waiting for the damned car to arrive)

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
By looking at the website, the same part number is for both EZC and EZH motors, I believe those codes signify MDS(auto) and Non-MDS(6spd).

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I have the X type and I can tell you it's deep and louder than stock. Very mellow tone until you get on it, then it's balls out. There is some drone.

I got my system dirt cheap because I bought it locally from a fellow member. It's the Mopar performance exhaust so the Borla tips have an M on them.

If I could choose between the three I'd get the S type.

Here is a good sound clip of the x type on an SRT 8

YouTube - Dodge Challenger SRT8 Borla Exhaust

The X type is the one you'd probably want if you don't want it too loud. It does not attract that much attention. If anything, my car itself gets attention, not the exhaust.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks.

So I guess X-Type is the quietest, it's also the MOPAR one.
S-Type is intermediate
ATAK is the loud bugger

How much louder than the X-Type would you say the S-Type is? Do you know if you can buy the mufflers separately so you could upgrade it later?

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Ok thanks.

So I guess X-Type is the quietest, it's also the MOPAR one.
S-Type is intermediate
ATAK is the loud bugger

How much louder than the X-Type would you say the S-Type is? Do you know if you can buy the mufflers separately so you could upgrade it later?
You got it right as far as the sound levels between the three. I don't blame Mopar for going with the X since it's the least intrusive. Still can tell a difference between stock, at the same time. I love my exhaust but I wish it was a little louder. Then again I love things loud but I do have a wife who has to put up with it too. But I am happy enough, the X still sounds badass, and makes for a good daily driver. And yes, the quad tips look AMAZING! I have them lined up just a tad out, but fairly flush with the bumper, looks great!

I haven't heard the Type S or the ATAK on our cars. But here is a video clip from Borla, showing the differences between the three on a 5.0 Mustang. Very informative and entertaining video, check it out:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thanks for the vid, that was very helpful.

Given that they're all street legal, I think I'm going to go with the S-Type and see now many car alarms I can set off in the parking structure at work :)

If it's too loud, I'm sure there'll be no shortage of people willing to swap it for an X-Type system :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ordered :)

It'll look pretty sad sitting in the corner of the garage waiting for the car to show up though :(

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Ordered :)

It'll look pretty sad sitting in the corner of the garage waiting for the car to show up though :(
Look at it this way, it will make you more excited, and eager to get your car, especially having it sound right. :thumbsup:

I have a 2010 R/T Classic in black. Black is the best color, nice choice on that!

Oh, and get a sound clip once you get it installed. Very eager to hear the S Type!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Look at it this way, it will make you more excited, and eager to get your car, especially having it sound right. :thumbsup:
That's what I figured, I had some pretty silly pipes on my motorcycle, but it always brought a grin to my face when I thumbed the starter (at least until some scumbag stole it).
I have a 2010 R/T Classic in black. Black is the best color, nice choice on that!
Oh yes :) Went with black stripes as well and will be throwing on the SRT repro wheels with black accents when it shows up as well (since I will almost inevitably curb one of the damned wheels and the repros are a lot cheaper to replace :))
Oh, and get a sound clip once you get it installed. Very eager to hear the S Type!
Definitely, as soon as the car arrives and I have it bolted on, I'll do a recording.

Incidentally, what's a skip shift eliminator?

Edit: Never mind, that's spectacularly idiotic, I'm glad there's a way to bypass it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mopar has used relabeled Corsa and Borla exhausts. The Borla has dual tips, is loud and has some drone. The Corsa looks like the stock tips, great sound and no drone at all.. I would suggest the Corsa, no drone, quality fit and finish and you can get the sport which has a more european sound like a masarati or the extreme which has a more traditional american muscle car sound and is louder than the sport model. I have the Corsa sport and love it. You can find sound clips on utube. Good luck.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am disappointed that Borla has different systems for the RT but has only 1 setup for the SRT. They also have detailed videos for the mustang and camaro but no videos AT ALL for the challenger. Very unprofessional for what is supposedly "the best exhaust company on the planet" :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts