Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2019 Challenger R/T June 19, AM Considering a CAI, which one does a good job? I"m considering the K&N 272,00 on Ebay.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Personally, after back and forth with different CAI systems, the hellcat oem setup with afe filter worked best for me. And is a true cold air. Someone is selling rn in the for sale section, box tube and filter for a good deal.

If you want something more aesthetic, legmaker makes nice CF intakes

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
Yep, HC lower box with tube is the way to go IMO too.

You want as much ambient temp air to get to your engine. It does that for a very reasonable cost.

I installed this with the OEM HC filter on my SP. No issues, just more coolet air.

It won't be louder, and you'll gain no extra power. Most CAI HP gains are marketing BS. Just bling for a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Yep, HC lower box with tube is the way to go IMO too.

You want as much ambient temp air to get to your engine. It does that for a very reasonable cost.

I installed this with the OEM HC filter on my SP. No issues, just more coolet air.

It won't be louder, and you'll gain no extra power. Most CAI HP gains are marketing BS. Just bling for a lot of money.

Tbh when i went from my Legmaker, back to stock i lost the the engine growl. The hc box with filter brought it back

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,647 Posts
Personally, after back and forth with different CAI systems, the hellcat oem setup with afe filter worked best for me. And is a true cold air. Someone is selling rn in the for sale section, box tube and filter for a good deal.

If you want something more aesthetic, legmaker makes nice CF intakes
This is exactly what I run on mine but I also got the Charger intake tube without the silencer to run a catch can.

·
Registered
583 Posts
This is my set up after I swapped manifolds and sold my LMI. It is an air raid universal kit I custom made into a true fender pull cai. With a huge filter and velocity stack. Also each piece directly butts to the next and is smoothed internally(via die grinder and stone bits) for little to no turbulence. The entire setup cost me 200$ and imo this is the best setup of I’ve seen and used. Alternatively for a stock look , the hellcat box is the ONLY other option(LMI as well). EVERY other CAI out there is a fraud.

EDIT: this is not metal , it is composite plastic wrapped in heat shielding tape.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,188 Posts
1.) Hellcat airbox with hellcat paper filter
2.) LMI True CAI (most likely better performance than the hellcat airbox, but costs way more and more of a PITA to install)
3.) All others not really worth it unless you just want it for looks

·
Registered
583 Posts
1.) Hellcat airbox with hellcat paper filter
2.) LMI True CAI (most likely better performance than the hellcat airbox, but costs way more and more of a PITA to install)
3.) All others not really worth it unless you just want it for looks

Cost is why I didn’t do the lmi(didn’t want to waste any more money while I’m planning a turbo build), my iat’s are right on par with my former lmi numbers and flow is superior imo because each tube butts to the next and is smoothed with no elbow connections to cause turbulence, not to mention the velocity stack at the filter. And all for only 200$:)

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,410 Posts
Unless you're buying it for looks save your money for other mods. On some vehicles the boost hp but on the Challenger they don't.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,299 Posts
Unless you're buying it for looks save your money for other mods. On some vehicles the boost hp but on the Challenger they don't.
plenty of data shows otherwise for the hellcat air box. 5-7hp on most 2015 & later challengers using it. The cars fuel adaptives will reset the bump in A/F for the small but noted gain. It also reduces AIT by several degrees over ambient.
Even dodge is on record as stating (in 2014), that the hellcat air box and drivers side inner open headlight was what allowed them to achieve the HP for the hellcat, giving it the air it required, to hit 700+.
The new twin snorkle hood on certain 2019's challengers has also been credited ( by Dodge) as aiding in the 10hp gain over the previous hood design for the hellcat models (707 vs 717).

A true CAI will draw air from the outside, perferably in a high pressure zone - where air can be rammed into it. Anything with a cone filter under the hood is not a "cold air intake" despite what people who want to sell them advertise them being.
If its drawing hot air from the engine bay, it is also heat soaking the transfer tube (normally made of shiney aluminum), as both tube & filter are always exposed to hot underhood temps and the resulting hot air coming off the engine. It then transfers that heat to the already warm intake air charge. Reducing hp & slowing heat soak recovery.
The hellcat air box is a proven way to go, if your challenger is 2015 & later.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Back in my early mustang days (early-mid 2000’s) guys were popping out their headlight cause any intake tube you bought was starving for cool air, and you would make POWER.

I think we take for granted how good the factory did on this one

·
Registered
583 Posts
plenty of data shows otherwise for the hellcat air box. 5-7hp on most 2015 & later challengers using it. The cars fuel adaptives will reset the bump in A/F for the small but noted gain. It also reduces AIT by several degrees over ambient.
Even dodge is on record as stating (in 2014), that the hellcat air box and drivers side inner open headlight was what allowed them to achieve the HP for the hellcat, giving it the air it required, to hit 700+.
The new twin snorkle hood on certain 2019's challengers has also been credited ( by Dodge) as aiding in the 10hp gain over the previous hood design for the hellcat models (707 vs 717).

A true CAI will draw air from the outside, perferably in a high pressure zone - where air can be rammed into it. Anything with a cone filter under the hood is not a "cold air intake" despite what people who want to sell them advertise them being.
If its drawing hot air from the engine bay, it is also heat soaking the transfer tube (normally made of shiney aluminum), as both tube & filter are always exposed to hot underhood temps and the resulting hot air coming off the engine. It then transfers that heat to the already warm intake air charge. Reducing hp & slowing heat soak recovery.
The hellcat air box is a proven way to go, if your challenger is 2015 & later.

Hence the lmi fender pull, or custom[composite plastic(much like the manifold most of you have on your 6.4) wrapped in heat shield tape] as I did. Literally the only two CAI’s that I know of. Hellcat box is decent upgrade , but not on par with lmi or mine. The fender pull draws air from where the brake duct used to be, the fog light grill and the lower front grill (Charger)please forgive how filthy she is.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,299 Posts
Hence the lmi fender pull, or custom[composite plastic(much like the manifold most of you have on your 6.4) wrapped in heat shield tape] as I did. Literally the only two CAI’s that I know of. Hellcat box is decent upgrade , but not on par with lmi or mine. The fender pull draws air from where the brake duct used to be, the fog light grill and the lower front grill (Charger)please forgive how filthy she is.

I 100% agree.
Looks like a viable option to the hellcat box arrangement, especially for pre 15 cars.

Reactions: Ronan978

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hellcat lower airbox and air tube should be the only performance CAI to worry about on 15+ cars...Cheapest, and works great. I sold my Rc2 CAI for this one...How can you compete with direct air intake from the headlight?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts