Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R/T 392 Scat Pack Widebody
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, with me being 'from the other side of the pond' it can be a little difficult for me to ascertain the current market, and car values in the US.
I've heard all about the 'market adjustment prices' and the lack of offers on new cars, and the prices of used examples being absurd.

Here is my ideal build on a new car:
Scat Pack Widebody
8 Spd Auto
Indigo Blue
Shaker Package
Plus Package
Driver Convenience Group
Alpine Audio Group with Subwoofer
Red Brake Calipers
Red Alcantara/Nappa Seats
SRT Performance Spoiler
TOTAL $56,995

I've been quoted from a dealer in FL, the rebates (currently at $2,250) bring this down to $54,475 (or somewhere in that ballpark). My agent should be able to save on the Sales tax.
I could always delete the Red Brake Calipers, SRT Spoiler and possibly the Alpine Audi Group options to bring the price down further, to $52,160 after rebates.

I've seen a used 2019 Scat Pack Widebody (23,600 miles) with the following options:
8 spd Auto
Indigo Blue
Technology Group
Plus Package
Driver Convenience Group
Alpine Audio Group with Subwoofer
Power Sunroof
Matt Grey Vinyl Stripes
$47,249

My question is, what would be the better deal?
What would I be more likely to get further discount on? (If that's even likely in today's inflated market.)
Or should I hold out for the market to settle again? (Whenever that could be!)

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
849 Posts
I have always been of the opinion that it is better to buy what you want instead of settling for whatever is available. In looking at the two Challengers that you listed, it seems the biggest difference between them (other than price and miles) is the Shaker package and the sunroof. If you really want the sunroof and don't really care about the Shaker, you probably can get the used one much quicker than ordering a new Challenger.

With that said, I think the used one is probably a better value. The difference in price might be enough to offset the cost of transportation, and maybe even a modification or two.

But for me, there is nothing like looking out over that Shaker scoop when I drive my Challenger. I liked the Shaker so much that as soon as the factory Shaker came out, I swapped it onto my '12 Challenger R/T Classic. When I traded that Challenger in, the replacement was factory equipped with a Shaker.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have always been of the opinion that it is better to buy what you want instead of settling for whatever is available. In looking at the two Challengers that you listed, it seems the biggest difference between them (other than price and miles) is the Shaker package and the sunroof. If you really want the sunroof and don't really care about the Shaker, you probably can get the used one much quicker than ordering a new Challenger.

With that said, I think the used one is probably a better value. The difference in price might be enough to offset the cost of transportation, and maybe even a modification or two.

But for me, there is nothing like looking out over that Shaker scoop when I drive my Challenger. I liked the Shaker so much that as soon as the factory Shaker came out, I swapped it onto my '12 Challenger R/T Classic. When I traded that Challenger in, the replacement was factory equipped with a Shaker.
I do like the appeal of looking over the hood and seeing the shaker bulge. I did consider fitting a Shaker hood to a used example if I got one, but it seem's to be very expensive compared to optioning on a new car.
I don't care much for the sunroof on the used one (I'm 6ft 3") so sometimes they can be a little restricted, although never experienced one in a Challenger.

I don't know yet if the Dealership with the used one, will negotiate on price.

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
Being new and having the Shaker and the under hood clear coat, red calipers, red seats and SRT spoiler are well worth the extra 7k.
To me the decision would take about a millisecond.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
849 Posts
I do like the appeal of looking over the hood and seeing the shaker bulge. I did consider fitting a Shaker hood to a used example if I got one, but it seem's its very expensive compared to optioning on a new car.
I don't care much for the sunroof on the used one (I'm 6ft 3") so sometimes they can be a little restricted, although never experienced one in a Challenger.

I don't know yet if the Dealership with the used one, will negotiate on price.
I added the Mopar Shaker hood to my Challenger, and I didn't consider it to be too expensive. At the time, the two part numbers required to swap it totaled to less than $3,000 if I remember correctly. Painting added about $300, I had a friend paint the hood for me. He did a perfect match, and my only regret was not having the scoop painted body color. At the time, the Shaker package added the Super Track Pack, stripes, and interior upgrades if ordered on a new Challenger. I didn't want the stripes and was indifferent about the interior upgrades, so it was worth it to me to buy the parts for the hood and scoop and add it to my Challenger.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Being new and having the Shaker and the under hood clear coat, red calipers, red seats and SRT spoiler are well worth the extra 7k.
To me the decision would take about a millisecond.
I haven’t seen the SRT Spoiler in person so it’s hard for me to imagine what it looks like compared to the standard one.

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
I have at my dealership recently. I really like it. Only reason I didn't order it is you can't combine it with the Bumblebee Scat Pack Stripe. I had to have the stripe so I stayed with the standard spoiler.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
29,022 Posts
Standard spoiler

Performance spoiler

A Guy

Reactions: ScottishChallenger

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Standard spoiler

Performance spoiler

A Guy
Useful info. Thank you. There isn't much difference in my eyes to warrant the additional $995 for the SRT Spoiler. Plus you seem to lose the Scat Pack badging on the rear spoiler as well, on the SRT one.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So what I have discovered so far, is that on new cars they add lots of hidden costs! In the UK that would be illegal as any price advertised is legally binding and they have to sell it at that. No hidden costs.

I think I will be looking at Used cars. I can avoid the sales tax so that is no issue. I just want to pay the price that is advertised.
Finding an Indigo Widebody with the Plus Package is proving to be a hard find. If anybody come across any, please let me know.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,224 Posts
Doing a long distance buy would cause me a lot of heartburn particularly on a used car. I’d have to be standing in front of it I think, agent notwithstanding. It may be worth the extra money if you buy a new one. All the history will be what you make of it, not the unknown from the previous owner. I keep thinking of spending the money, then the anticipation of the delivery, only to find it as some condition issue when you finally have it. At the minimum, warranty could cover things that may arise On a new unit with no unknown history. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doing a long distance buy would cause me a lot of heartburn particularly on a used car. I’d have to be standing in front of it I think, agent notwithstanding. It may be worth the extra money if you buy a new one. All the history will be what you make of it, not the unknown from the previous owner. I keep thinking of spending the money, then the anticipation of the delivery, only to find it as some condition issue when you finally have it. At the minimum, warranty could cover things that may arise On a new unit with no unknown history. Good luck with whatever you decide.
It's the hidden added dealer costs of up to $10k that make a new one unaffordable to me. I have to factor in the 30% tax I will have to pay when I import it to the UK.
I've imported cars from the US before so I have abit of experience.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,224 Posts
Used cars? Any surprises? There are many dealers that actually sell these cars without any hidden fees or up charges. a trusted vendor on this site is one of them….Steve White Motors.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Used cars? Any surprises? There are many dealers that actually sell these cars without any hidden fees or up charges. a trusted vendor on this site is one of them….Steve White Motors.
I actually saw all the praise he was receiving so I checked out his site. I would much rather but from a respected dealer like that. Unfortunately, at the moment, he doesn't seem to have the car I'm looking for.

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
Useful info. Thank you. There isn't much difference in my eyes to warrant the additional $995 for the SRT Spoiler. Plus you seem to lose the Scat Pack badging on the rear spoiler as well, on the SRT one.
This is correct. With the SRT spoiler you lose this due to the angle if it.

Cloud Car Wheel Tire Sky

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I've just found another one which I like even more. 2019 Scat Pack Widebody (6,634 miles) with the following options:
  • 8 spd Auto
  • Indigo Blue
  • Plus Package
  • Driver Convenience Group
  • Harmon Kardon Audio Group with Subwoofer
  • Uconnect 4C Nav
  • SRT Performance Spoiler
  • Red Brake Calipers
  • Matt Black Bonnet (Which I'm hoping is a wrap that I can remove maybe?)
$49,999

I'm wondering if this may be a better deal. What do you all think?
I will try and get them down on the price and the sales tax isn't applicable to me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The lower miles (6k miles), HK, red calipers and SRT spoiler more desirable over the tech pack and higher miles (23k miles)?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Usually the hood was painted matte black and the roof and trunk were wraps on the T/A's at least... You might want to just get Steve White to act as your agent and find you the car you want. Dealers have much better search capabilities. If you can live with a different color, that opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
Since I have one, I can tell you that the HK is awesome. (y)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Usually the hood was painted matte black and the roof and trunk were wraps on the T/A's at least... You might want to just get Steve White to act as your agent and find you the car you want. Dealers have much better search capabilities. If you can live with a different color, that opens up a whole new world of possibilities.
Yeah it may be an option. I have an agent in Florida, who is a good friend, sorting things out for me.
But I may reach out to Steve. I’ve got my heart set on Indigo. My last few cars were my first choice in colour, something which I’ve regretted afterwards, so I won’t have second best this time.
All the cheapest wide bodies always seem to be octane red. Can save quite a few $1000
If you retake one in that colour. But I’m not a fan. It’s Indigo or nothing for me, which is seems to be, a super rare colour unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 231 Posts