Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, my first post here, I'm about to get my first challenger and I dont know if I should go with the V6 or V8, this would be my daily driver, and my car now is a 2017 Toyota Corolla. Performance and stuff doesnt really matter to me since I dont plan on going racing or anything like that but I do like the sound of the v8. I just wanted to know your guys thoughts and if the v8 is worth it for me. Also is buying a used challenger with under 20k miles risky?

·
Premium Member
11,797 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Great question, that is a hard decision. We can all give you our opinion, but really it is a matter of what will make you happy.

The payment on the v6 should be a lot less than it will be on the v8. ( are you willing to pay more just to hear the sound of a v8 ) ? I had the v6 and I LOVED it. But I did want more power and ended up purchasing an SRT a short time after. My insurance and vehicle payment went up significantly. In my opinion for daily driving the v6 has plenty of pep! I would not hesitate to purchase a Challenger with under 20k miles as long as I checked it out or had a trusted mechanic look it over too.

Good luck with your search :)

- Alexis

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,310 Posts
Depends on Budget, Depends on Aggressive or Avg Driving Style, Depends on what Mods you might be considering, That's a wide open space to consider before anyone can Honestly give you a more fitting suggestion. Anything past 2015 has a Locked PCM and lowers options for Mods without going deeper in the Wallet. Hope you get the idea...

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger GT AWD
144 Posts
I went for the v6 due to the awd you can get with it. Does it snow near you? Do you want to be able to go somewhere when the roads aren't perfect? Get the v6 and chop up the exhaust. Otherwise if traction isn't an issue you can go for the v8

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,310 Posts
Remember the V6 Comes in SXT and AWD forgot to mention that... So there is Rear Wheel Drive and All Wheel Drive Models...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
You can always rent newer Charger in V6 trim just to see what power it delivers for you. Then decide if V8 is worth the extra cost in payments/insurance/gas/etc.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey everyone, my first post here, I'm about to get my first challenger and I dont know if I should go with the V6 or V8, this would be my daily driver, and my car now is a 2017 Toyota Corolla. Performance and stuff doesnt really matter to me since I dont plan on going racing or anything like that but I do like the sound of the v8. I just wanted to know your guys thoughts and if the v8 is worth it for me. Also is buying a used challenger with under 20k miles risky?
id go 5,7 rt you won't regret it .....

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
That was me in 2015 when gas was $4 a gallon. We all know gas prices will go back to where they were, pre-COVID. In my case, I wanted to still be able to DD my Challenger, no matter what. Yes, we don't get a Challenger for MPG, but 30MPG is nice and make it more acceptable for DD use. You would hate to have a beautiful Challenger and then "can't drive it" or worst, get another car to help offset the MPG. At the end of the day, there is a cost to transportation from A to B.

I would recommend a brand new V6 Challenger, SXT Plus and loaded. Including safety features such as blind spot warning. You will be happier down the road. Is the V6 slow? No, it's fast enough. 305 is plenty. I rather gun it, and not be in "trouble." If you do want to spend more $$$, the insurance cost on a V6 will be 2X the cost of your Corolla at the least.

We all love a V8, but honestly, there's too much power in a V8 (is the best way to put it). I know, I know, we can never have too much horsepower..

In summary, I would get a loaded brand new V6 vs a used V8. You know the previous owner already did several burn outs, and driven hard. A new V6 is a brand new car. No other man's dirty hands have touched her...

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,090 Posts
I think you would be doing fine either way. One thing to consider is that you can treat your V8 like a V6, but your V6 (stock) wont be able to act like a V8 when you want it to. As I said, you won’t go wrong either way. As far as used goes, a sub 20,000 mile car should be fine as well. You’ll need to do your due diligence to assure it is mechanically sound just like any other used car.

By the way, go and test drive both. Your decision will be easier. The goal is to choose what is right for you and to have no regrets. Settling is not the way to buy a Challenger.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
If you want to feel like king of the road then you need the BIG hemi.
(I fixed it for you)
Also, after riding around a good bit in my brother in law's Jeep Grand Cherokee with 3.6, I gotta admit, that thing runs quite well, and the Grand Cherokee is HEAVY.

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
454 Posts
If power isn't a big determining factor go with the v6, it will be 10x more fun to DD than your corolla but you also won't be hit so hard in the wallet everywhere else. You can put the money you save in 1 or 2 months towards a nice CAT back exhaust and be very happy how it sounds. (it wont sound like a v8). If performance but also budget isn't an issue get the v8.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I ordered a 2021 Scat Pack Widebody as my daily driver.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Alabama! Looks like everyone has given you all the angles. So I won't add much to it except from your description, It sounds like you should give the RT/5.7 a good look. I just took possession of a 21' SPWB Shaker M6 and I love it. Especially the V-8!

·
Registered
2020 F8 Scat Pack 392 6 Speed Stick
352 Posts
Hi,

A few questions you have to ask yourself,

Is it a daily driver really or just a decent weather driver?

What is your environment, do you have snow or lots of rain as a RWD vechile will handle very differently vs the FWD you have now. If snow and yes a true daily driver V6 AWD would be my choice.

Do you want a manual or automatic transmissions, 3 pedals only come with a V8 although have heard rumors of delays.

Are you going to always wanting a V8 once you get a V6, nevermind a 5.7, 6.4 or 6.2 envying thing.

Only you can answer the questions and what dollar amount you can afford, personally I got a 202 Scat Pack 392 M6 for a summer month daily driver.

Good luck with the decision, there all nice cars no matter which you choose.

Regards,
Jim

Reactions: Loopy

·
Registered
353 Posts
I own both and I can tell you that there are benefits to both trim levels.
The V6 AWD is an awesome Trim. Beast in the Snow and rain and still very fun to drive. You don't however ge the good sounds like you do a V8 Trim. Still it's much quicker than your Corolla so power is going to be plentiful.

Now Steping up to a V8 model is a whole different level. Even the R/T 5.7L is going to almost scare you at first especially coming from a Toyota. It's a fun car , burnouts for day, you say your not into performance but once you have it , it's hard not to play with it. Down side here is as a daily Driver and if it snows where you are, your basically in trouble with this trim. Unless you plan on buying Snow tires or very high end All season don't plan on driving it in the snow. It's sucks completely . This is where the AWD V6 is superior.

I have a V8 6.4L Scat Pack and that I don't think is for you. It's very powerful and it can get away from you easily especially if your not use to that kind of power. The R/T 5.7L is more manageable but still a beast.

I honestly think you should get the V6, it's a hell of a car and if you have snow, absolutely get the AWD model. It's so damn good. My Wife drives it as her Daily and she totally loves it. Like I said I have a Scat Pack which is 2 levels up and I totally love driving the AWD v6 . It's so good soft impressively quick and don't feel under powered at all.

Let us know what you end up buying. Looking forward to see it. One last thing, Dodge has an array of totally awesome colors. This is the hardest thing to choose. Buying Used however at least you'll be limited to what you can find in your price range. When you buy new, It sucks as I like all the colors and couldn't lock in on a color. So I got Pitch Black.

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
585 Posts
You can always rent newer Charger in V6 trim just to see what power it delivers for you. Then decide if V8 is worth the extra cost in payments/insurance/gas/etc.
This is an excellent idea if you've never driven one before. A lot of rental car companies carry both V8 and V6 Chargers/Challengers.

I have a Grand Cherokee with the same engine as the V6 challenger. It's a strong V6, and I don't think you would be disappointed if you're not buying it for the performance. Still, everyone here had their first muscle car at some point, and it can change your whole attitude toward driving when it's actually a thrill and not just a means of transport. Don't sell yourself short by making the decision without driving both.

Some dealers also offer overnight test drives, which would give you a good bit of time with each vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger SXT, Octane Red Metallic, Ruby Red/Black Int.
293 Posts
My personal opinion for a daily driver is that the V6 can't be beat. Great fuel mileage, more than enough power in everyday situations. It would considered a muscle car back in the day. The plus package has a lot of nice touches like the leather seats. Any model Challenger has timeless styling that still turns heads. Again, just my opinion

1 - 20 of 44 Posts