Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Which Challenger vs 2011 Camaro 2SS

6K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  6bblbird 
#1 ·
Ok, so I am in the market for a Challenger.
Friend has a 2011 Camaro 2SS. No mods/upgrades, all factory.

What I need to know is what you folks feel is the Challenger I need to be looking at to dust this Camaro? :)

Can I get by with a 2011 R/T? If not, with some mods and if so which ones?
Would a used 2010 SRT8 do the trick?
Or do I need to be looking at the 2011 SRT8?

I'll probably have other questions but I am little $$ conscious but not at the point where I will lose to that Chevy. :)
Thanks.

#3 ·
Get an SRT8 for good measure. With an R/T you will need a fair amount of bolt ons. The best one, however is not available for the 2011, and that item is the Diablo Predator tuner.

A lot depends on the driver too.

#4 ·
Get a 2011 SRT8 and you won't even have to worry about him beating you. It would take him quite a few bolts ons to give the stock 392 some competition

#5 ·
x2, the 2011 SRT8 392 will easily smoke the camaro ss.

#6 ·
well is his Camaro an Auto or a Stick. If its an auto you may be able to eek by him in an R/T, but if you want to be sure to never see that ugly UGLY rear end of his stick or auto, the 392 is your ticket. I'm almost 650 miles in...and its AWESOME

Ok, so I am in the market for a Challenger.
Friend has a 2011 Camaro 2SS. No mods/upgrades, all factory.

What I need to know is what you folks feel is the Challenger I need to be looking at to dust this Camaro? :)

Can I get by with a 2011 R/T? If not, with some mods and if so which ones?
Would a used 2010 SRT8 do the trick?
Or do I need to be looking at the 2011 SRT8?

I'll probably have other questions but I am little $$ conscious but not at the point where I will lose to that Chevy. :)
Thanks.

#7 ·
well is his Camaro an Auto or a Stick. If its an auto you may be able to eek by him in an R/T, but if you want to be sure to never see that ugly UGLY rear end of his stick or auto, the 392 is your ticket. I'm almost 650 miles in...and its AWESOME
Yep, in the Camaros, the auto has the L99 rated at 400 hp. The manual gets the LS3 @ 426 hp. As a former Camaro owner and admin of the OK club website, I have played with quite a few now with my Challenger R/T 6 speed. With a good launch, I am pretty much dead even with the L99 cars - sometimes I can nose them out, and sometimes they can me. It's really a drivers race and I am still learning to launch this beast. The manual LS3 cars, well it's not so pretty. I need mods. :( But it's ok, if they piss me off too much, I just go get the 5.0. :D

My R/T is stock other than a K&N drop in and resonator delete.

#11 ·
^^^^^ YES!

Jack

#13 ·
get any SRT, does not have to be a 2011 and stock for stock you should do well. this is comming from a GM die hard who still is positive that the LS market is so much better than the Hemi market mainly because of aftermarket support.

BTW, I used to blow away every RT that tried to race my 2007 vette. it has 400 hp stock which is less than the newer LS3's in the new camaros but weighs a good 1000 pounds lighter than the challenger.

#14 ·
Ok, thanks everyone for the replies. I am glad to come home and hear this because another friend (a Mustang guy) said to "forget the Challenger, even the SRT8 cannot beat the Camaro due to size/weight". Though I really didn't believe him I am glad to hear your opinions.

And as for the Camaro owner, it is a "she" (yes she is hot in case you were gonna ask) and yes it is an automatic.

I understand that a race is as much about the driver and experience which she has none and I have minimal from my old man's 69 Super Bee....but it is good just knowing I can work any Camaro over, hers or someone else's.

#15 ·
Future-proof yourself and buy a 392. Then you can slap a supercharger on it and you'll be putting down more power than 90% of cars you run into at the track, and the other 10% can't drive theirs home afterward without a flatbed.

#17 ·
Yeah, I am not saying the Camaro or Mustang isn't a fun car, great car, etc.
I just love the look of the Challenger...there is just nothing out there that looks so mean and cool all at the same time IMO. The Mustang looks good but I see one of those every quarter mile on the highway into work. The Camaro looks very nice too but too modern looking for my liking (that is just me). Plus my dad has always been a Mopar guy so that influence is there of course...

#19 ·
I bought the 392 and love it. I have played with a couple camaro 2ss's and that is all it is. They can't even think of beating me. I played with a Z06 and it seemed even. We were on a hwy that went from 45 to 70. I was behind him and he got on it up to 90. I was right on his butt. I didn't want to push it more as we were coming into traffic. I would love to race one at a track to see how they do.

#21 ·
I had a 2001 Z06 with the 385 HP engine. With 120k miles on her she was still a mid to high 12 second car stock. I think the 392 might beat the C5 Z 06 but I am not so sure about the 505 HP C 6 version.

Anything other than straight line though dont even bother with a Z 06. The car handles like it is on rails.

Attachments

#20 ·
I had the chance to mess around with a friends 2ss auto when I had my 09 RTC auto. The RT auto can take the SS auto. We did two runs 1000' on an old runway and then switched out driving each others cars with the same result. The RT pulled it each time.

We then did the same with the SS 6 speed against the auto RT. The only way the RT could win is when the SS got bad wheel hop otherwise no way.

#23 ·
In pure stock form, SS vs R/T, the guy who spins the tires less will win!
I've gotten a best of 13.15 @106 (good air) out of my bone stock 5.7 Challenger. I have seen very few SS Camaros come close in stock form. Most SS cars will run 106 to 107 mph with ease. They should, but they don't beat my e.t.s.
5.0 Mustangs? They will whomp you easily! I've seen low experience drivers put them in the 12s with seeming ease.
WF
P.S. I get to see a lot of these cars run being the announcer at a major metropolitan drag strip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.