Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Which Challenger?

• Used 2015 SRT 392 6.4L

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Slighty used 2016-17 Scat pack 6.4L

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • New 2019 R/T 5.7L Shaker (If I can find a Shaker model)

Votes: 16 38.1%
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in the Market soon for a new car and am going to buy a Challenger. I always liked the classics and have been in love with the new design since they came out. I was originally just going to get a slightly used R/T model but my financial situation has improved so I think I can get something a step up as I am infatuated with the 6.4L engine. Here are the options that I have been looking at and the top of what I can afford.

2015 SRT 392 w/ approx. 40000-45000 miles
2016-2017 Scat Pack 392 w/ approx. 22000-32000 miles (possibly a shaker if I can find one)
2019 R/T (5.7L) New-12000 miles (possibly shaker if I can find one)

I have done the homework and understand the differences. In short - SRT has a better suspension and brakes than the Scat pack. SRT and Scat Pack have better suspension/brakes and have a large engine that the R/T.

I can't afford a new Scat Pack or SRT, not interested in the V6, above are the models I'm looking at. More miles and more performance or new/less miles and less performance (still plenty of performance though). I know I'm going to love any of those choice but am really liking the 6.4L engine.

The car will be replacing a 2007 Altima SE (3.5L) and will be used for a short commute most of the time, I drive about 3 miles to public transportation, and then recreation use (fun on the weekends). But I have been thinking of picking up an electric motor cycle for the short commute and keeping the Challenger for recreation and days that is rains. Whether I would ever hit the track it TBD. (If I got the SRT I think I would be doing the car a disservice by not going to the race track every once in a while. And yes, I have raced on a track before, not in my car though). But I also live in an area with some good long empty strips of road where I can open up the throttle and find the top end safely.

Anyone have any thoughts on which, and why? The thought of an SRT is exciting but I also like the thought of a branch new car.

(I posted this on other Challenger forums with little response and figured I will try a few to figure out which is the most active.)

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,931 Posts
Look closely at the used 2019’s. Lots of them may qualify for CPO (Certified Pre Owned) with a 7 yr 100k mile Powertrain warranty versus the 5 yr 60k factory warranty if being sold through an FCA dealership. In my perusing of ads on Auto Trader, I was surprised at the number of low mileage Challengers there are for sale.

New is also great, too....especially with the Dodge Power Dollars incentives having been recently extended.

Reactions: Speedlogix-Sales

·
Registered
15,928 Posts
If you can swing it now is the time to buy a 2019 Scat Pack off the dealer lot, might not see discounts like this again for a while. If not, get as new a Scat Pack that you can find, these cars really are the best all around Challengers right now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
5.7 unless you are track/street dude who has a little cash to set aside for expensive parts and little to nothing on that factory promise. Trust me I just finished a Lemon Case on wife’s SUV. R/T is great for a D/D enough for fun and a great highway beast.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,931 Posts
I'd say go with the newest lowest mile model you can afford. The 5.7L is a great building platform and has plenty of pep!

- Alexis
The dealer where I bought my 2018 RAM 4500 from has this new 2018 R/T that fits both criteria above!

Reactions: Speedlogix-Sales

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,728 Posts
I'd vote for the middle one, but actually recommend a 2018 used or new like mentioned. Get the most out of warranty, CPO typically has better warranty than new, cheaper than new and appearance of new. As long as you can find one exactly like you want (like I did). Another thing, if phone integration tech is important to you, remember 2017 is when the uConnect got a little better, and Android Auto/Apple Car Play was standard. That opens up Waze/Google Maps option on the dash.

·
Premium Member
11,606 Posts

·
Registered
'14 R/T Shaker
9 Posts
Both 2 and 3 are good options. It maybe depends on where you live and how you plan to use the car. I just bought a lightly used 2014 RT Shaker and live in a suburban area with a lot of traffic. The 5.7 is a beast of an engine already. Under normal every day driving conditions it's hard to find opportunities to really open it up without being a lunatic. I'm sure the 6.4 is awesome (and it sounds amazing) , but I don't know how often I'd be able to appreciate the extra 100+ hp.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Get the biggest motor you can afford. Simple rules to live by.
This. Sorry but the 5.7L is SLOW and the 6.4L is a totally different animal. I’d rather a used 6.4 over the 5.7.

·
Registered
87 Posts
single owner scat pack IMO. it sounds like you already have your mind on the 6.4L so get it now. to convince you even further, the MPG are nearly identical and I can imagine you would use full synthetic engine oil regardless which trim you choose. It'll make a much more fun track/road car in the future if you decide to track it

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Hellcat Widebody
302 Posts
It just so happens I have a mint condition Scat Pack Shaker available with just over 8000 miles on it. Your lucky day!

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,209 Posts
We got our 2014 this summer for $35K with 176 miles on it !!!

·
Registered
981 Posts
We got our 2014 this summer for $35K with 176 miles on it !!!
sorry, what? 176 miles? Someone bought it and drove it home and left it for 5 years?

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,209 Posts
HENCE why we bought it !!! Owners manuals have never been out of the plastic !!

Point of story, look around and U my find your UNICORN !!! LOL GB

·
Registered
336 Posts
My problem with any Challenger purchase was I did not want something someone drove hard and put away wet for 30k+ miles, not that they can't take it. I wanted one that only ever had one ass in the seat so mine had 9 miles in it :) With that said a 6.4 would be really nice though.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts