Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at changing out the exhaust on my 2012 SXT, but I;m conflicted on how I should do this. I've read several different things and seen a good amount of vidoes, but I'm hearing different outcomes for what I want.

I'm looking to make my car sound loud, mean, and aggressive. So far, it seems that straight piping will do the trick. However, I've seen the same, if not better, results with Flowmasters and whatnot. It's not consistent per say.

So, I guess my question is this, what do y'all prefer?

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,144 Posts
We have a 2015 SRT 392, so it might sound different, but I chose the Solo Street/Race exhaust because it is Very High quality built stainless steel that is mandrel bent (smooth bends with no kinks to hamper the flow). It also had adjustable Heimholz chambers (J-pipes) that keep it from droning and surprisingly enough, they work and work well. The Solo actually has less drone than the stock exhaust. I also found out that Solo's customer service is some of the best that I've come across.

The last fact that it was priced better than anything else that was comparable to it was just the icing on the cake. It also included shipping.

I have Zero affiliation with Solo, other than being a Happy customer.

Now, onto the exhaust......It has no mufflers or resonators, so it is pretty loud, but you get used to the volume quickly and it makes me smile each and every time I hear the bark when I start Ruby! As far as driving around, it's not overly loud and you can carry a normal level conversation on with no problems and listen to your radio on low volume (number 10 on the radio on a 50 for a maximum).

The best part of the exhaust though is WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and the fact that it allowed me to put a set of Huge 4" quad tips on her! They help to just finish off her back end!

It sounds like a cross between the deep, throaty stock exhaust on the SRT cars and a NASCAR Cup car with a bit of Exotic thrown in. It's pretty hard to describe, but I have to say that when I plan on going WOT, the radio gets muted because I just want to hear the song of that Hemi doing its thing (although, even with the radio on, I can still hear that exhaust but I like the song of it better than anything on the radio/USB/whatever).

Here's a little video that I quickly made. I Apologize for the blurriness. I was just learning to use my phone. The sound doesn't show the actual volume, but the tone is actually pretty darned close.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10PHWaskBjeqF0Og3V-g2bCcr_pGq0RYa/view?usp=sharing

By the way, I've heard that they make a pretty nice sounding exhaust for the SXT's too. There are a couple of Guys on this forum that have them, so maybe they'll pop in and give their opinion/review on them.

I Hope that this helps. Good Luck with your choice because it's not an easy one! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I vote for the Borla ATAK's. I just installed them and am really happy. It actually seems to move all the sound to the back of the car. By removing the mid's it really seems to have made the cabin more quite. At WOT it really sounds great. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Freddy, your video makes me want an SRT even more haha. Cant wait to get one finally.

Dan, ive heard alot about the Borla. Sounds really good.

Im going in late tomorrow afternoon (about 4ish EST) so i guess i'll continue researching and popping in to see if anyone else says anything.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,860 Posts
Here is what corsa extreme with mid mufflers replaced with straight pipe sounds like on a 5.7 at a hard launch (I pedaled the throttle instead of standing on it). Sometimes I think it is just too raspy/trumpety. I have a neighbor with a mustang and I think he is running aftermarket exhaust...sounds pretty darn good...with a rrrah rrrah rrrrah type sound. Anyways, when he passes my house I can help but be a little envious of the sound...not the car.

https://vimeo.com/235091331

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,144 Posts
Freddy, your video makes me want an SRT even more haha. Cant wait to get one finally.

Dan, ive heard alot about the Borla. Sounds really good.

Im going in late tomorrow afternoon (about 4ish EST) so i guess i'll continue researching and popping in to see if anyone else says anything.
Sorry about that! :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,761 Posts
No offense, but a bunch of V8's showing off their exhausts, lol. A stock V8 sounds good, it can only get better with a custom exhaust. The V6, much harder to get a good sound. Some just like louder. Some want no drone. Some want a combination. Unless you know someone with the V6, and a custom exhaust, it's hard to judge. I will say, generally, if you like the sound on a video you find, it usually sounds even better in person. The only thing you can't tell by the video, is the level of drone. I am happy with my Solo exhaust, good sound, and zero drone. A Guy

·
Registered
716 Posts
That sounds awesome. Nice job.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,860 Posts
No offense, but a bunch of V8's showing off their exhausts, lol. A Guy
Thanks Guy and my bad as well...with all the posts that pop up for exhaust I assumed it was an 8...that and I saw Freddy's vid and thought I would toss up mine without realizing it was for an SXT.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,144 Posts
No offense, but a bunch of V8's showing off their exhausts, lol. A stock V8 sounds good, it can only get better with a custom exhaust. The V6, much harder to get a good sound. Some just like louder. Some want no drone. Some want a combination. Unless you know someone with the V6, and a custom exhaust, it's hard to judge. I will say, generally, if you like the sound on a video you find, it usually sounds even better in person. The only thing you can't tell by the video, is the level of drone. I am happy with my Solo exhaust, good sound, and zero drone. A Guy
My suggestion to you then is to post up a video for him to hear of your SXT with the Solo on it, then he has a V6 Challenger to listen to. Since you are correct, there is no way on Earth that a V6 can sound like a V8. Help the Brother out!

I was more telling about the company and how happy that I am with both the product and the service.

Sorry that I posted the video of Ruby. I lost track that he has a V6 and posted that.

Peace out! :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,761 Posts
All I have are the WOT videos I posted when I 1st had it installed. There are plenty of cold start videos on Youtube...but unless you are just concerned about how it sounds in the morning...

You can find some inside/outside driving vids usually. Maybe even some drive by. Search Solo 3.6L challeneger

Here are my shaky iPad in hand, windows open vids from July 2016 ;)

From Youtube

A Guy

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts

OOPPS late to the party. Should have read down farther.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got the Flowmaster American Thunder catback system on mine and I really like it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,761 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts