Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I get regarding in-tank fuel pumps if I'm going with either a procharger or roots style maggie?

I have seen prices from $100 for a walbro 450 pump to $680 for a "replacement kit" that essentially replaces the fuel hat and installs an aftermarket pump in the basket.
My buddy was able to upgrade fuel system in his blown C5 by drilling a larger opening for the fuel line, installing a bulk head AN fitting, and installing an aftermarket pump in the factory basket for about half what a similar "kit" was going for.
Is this an option for the LX setup?

I want to start getting the car prepped for a e-force or procharger running ~8 pounds of boost, and since the fuel hat is easy to get to I'm starting with upgrading the pump.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
duplicate posting -----

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Reactions: chizzle1

·
Registered
7 Posts
What should I get regarding in-tank fuel pumps if I'm going with either a procharger or roots style maggie at 8 pounds?

I have seen prices from $100 for a walbro 450 pump to $680 for a "replacement kit" that essentially replaces the fuel hat and installs an aftermarket pump in the basket.
My buddy was able to upgrade fuel system in his blown C5 by drilling a larger opening for the fuel line, installing a bulk head AN fitting, and installing an aftermarket pump in the factory basket for about half what a similar "kit" was going for.
Is this an option for the LX setup?

I want to start getting the car prepped for a e-force or procharger running ~8 pounds of boost, and since the fuel hat is easy to get to I'm starting with upgrading the pump.

Any advice is appreciated.
I run a walboro 400 and I have not encountered any fueling issues. D1 Procharged 2015 scat pack

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
If you anticipate running any E85 make sure the pump is compatible. The API one above is not just a FYI. I know this because I didn't think about the E85 possibility before I put this one in.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
You are correct on e85
Neither is the lines in the car no injectors nor the in take fuel return
Plan on 2000 to do a e 85 conversion. Give or take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DanO15

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
You are correct on e85
Neither is the lines in the car no injectors nor the in take fuel return
Plan on 2000 to do a e 85 conversion. Give or take

Yeah I that's what I've been told. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was asking specifically if you would recommend doing the conversion (installing a new pump into the stock basket) or do a complete replacement.
No E-85 planned for the future.
I found a drop in replacement (pump, basket, fuel hat) for ~$650 shipped but a friend of mine told me I can simply upgrade the pump in my stock setup.

I don't think the stock fuel line is large enough to upgrade the pump and flow enough volume.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Do not skimp fuel is the life of the car besides oil. U go cheap and have a issue specially on a blower and you will remember it and so will your wallet
Get this unless you are going monster monster hp

API Competition Single Pump Fuel System - shopHEMI.com

that's the one I was looking at.

forgive my ignorance, does that work with the stock fuel hat or do I need to drill the stock one / buy an aftermarket one?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
was just reading on the other forum i belong to that a stock 392 fuel pump will work, and is a lot cheaper than the arrington variety.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack
231 Posts
was just reading on the other forum i belong to that a stock 392 fuel pump will work, and is a lot cheaper than the arrington variety.
The Arrington pump that Steve White Parts linked to has a 400lph pump and fits in the stock basket with very little modification. You could squeak by with the 392 pump but why spend thousands of dollars on a blower and not want to spend a few hundred more to feed it properly? Another option is to modify the basket to fit the Walbro 450. I know it's been done but I haven't done it myself so I can't help you there.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Arrington pump that Steve White Parts linked to has a 400lph pump and fits in the stock basket with very little modification. You could squeak by with the 392 pump but why spend thousands of dollars on a blower and not want to spend a few hundred more to feed it properly? Another option is to modify the basket to fit the Walbro 450. I know it's been done but I haven't done it myself so I can't help you there.
From what I've researched, for my application, a 392 pump would be more than adequate.
I'm only going to be running 8 pounds of boost and I won't be tracking the car.
If I upgrade later to forged internals and increase boost I'll upgrade the pump and fuel line.

·
Vendor
12,973 Posts
we will not install a supercharger on a gen 3 Hemi without upgrading to stage one pump and with good reasons, we dont want to loose an engine, things to remember, quality of fuel varies dramatically, ethanol content etc, and you dont need a blower to loose an engine.....

we never skimp when it comes to fuel system and superchargers, probably why we have never lost an engine on the street, and race tracks and full blown race cars dont count.....

Bigred made 741 whps a few weeks ago with a stage one pump and was averaging a 100mphs climbing the hill this past weekend

beyond that level a custom system is required and expect to spend 3k easily

Luke

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
I run an AEM 50-1000 (320lph) replacement pump on my procharged RT. Its been going strong for 3 years now. I think it was about $100 + $25 in other various pieces to make it work with stock hoses and basket.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack
231 Posts
From what I've researched, for my application, a 392 pump would be more than adequate.
I'm only going to be running 8 pounds of boost and I won't be tracking the car..
I don't know where you're doing your research, but this thread alone is full of great advice from people who are running boosted cars. Not to mention Luke, who has been involved in more supercharger installs than he can count.

8 psi is nothing to sneeze at, and adequate fueling to match it is important. The 392 pump is only 200lph which is garbage in my opinion. I don't want to pester you anymore about this, but I will reiterate, get a pump to match your build. I see in your signature that you've done lots of mods $$. Why spend $7-$8,000 on a supercharger and skimp on such an integral/affordable part of the system?

And finally, I just did a search for the Walbro 450 install. If you're on a budget, these are The same price as the 392 pump and require very little modification to install.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f175/walbro-450-stock-basket-525593/

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know where you're doing your research, but this thread alone is full of great advice from people who are running boosted cars. Not to mention Luke, who has been involved in more supercharger installs than he can count.

8 psi is nothing to sneeze at, and adequate fueling to match it is important. The 392 pump is only 200lph which is garbage in my opinion. I don't want to pester you anymore about this, but I will reiterate, get a pump to match your build. I see in your signature that you've done lots of mods $$. Why spend $7-$8,000 on a supercharger and skimp on such an integral/affordable part of the system?

And finally, I just did a search for the Walbro 450 install. If you're on a budget, these are The same price as the 392 pump and require very little modification to install.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f175/walbro-450-stock-basket-525593/
Understood, I wasn't aware there was another option.
I thought $600 for a fuel hat was a little steep.
The setup in the link you provided is probably the route I'll go.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack
231 Posts
Understood, I wasn't aware there was another option.
I thought $600 for a fuel hat was a little steep.
The setup in the link you provided is probably the route I'll go.
Thanks for the input.
Right on. I think that pump is e85 compatible too, so that's another bonus you might take advantage of someday.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
we will not install a supercharger on a gen 3 Hemi without upgrading to stage one pump and with good reasons, we dont want to loose an engine, things to remember, quality of fuel varies dramatically, ethanol content etc, and you dont need a blower to loose an engine.....

we never skimp when it comes to fuel system and superchargers, probably why we have never lost an engine on the street, and race tracks and full blown race cars dont count.....

Bigred made 741 whps a few weeks ago with a stage one pump and was averaging a 100mphs climbing the hill this past weekend

beyond that level a custom system is required and expect to spend 3k easily

Luke
would you push any more than 8 pounds on a stock bottom end 5.7?

·
Vendor
12,973 Posts
would you push any more than 8 pounds on a stock bottom end 5.7?
I ran just over 9psi for 3 years on my 5.7 until I change it out for a large cube stroker, however on customer's cars we normally do the 6.4L at 7 psi and the 5.7L at 8 psi, the 5.7L is very robust, unlike the internals of the 6.4L, in FCA defense they never meant it to be boosted, hence the internals are more than adequate for unboosted life....

Luke

1 - 20 of 81 Posts