Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 challenger 6.4. I found a reasonable deal on a full whipple 2.9 kit with 8k miles minus the heatexchanger.Im looking at the bwoody and im trying to figure out if I should go with the FULL RACE or will the STANDARD heatexchanger will be enough? I know the standard claims to support 900hp and Im nowhere near that but I live in Austin TX and its hot as hell here!Suggestions?

·
Registered
438 Posts
My suggestion would be that you do not supercharge a 392, as it is not designed for it. There are multiple threads on this forum that discuss this. Best of luck.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,853 Posts
Luke @stevewhite says you can run 7 psi on the 6.4L no problem if you have it tuned correctly. I believe he says 7.5 psi would be the max safe boost. They do Magnuson though, but I'd think boost is boost. It's not that you can't supercharge a 6.4L, but that you need to stay to a certain level, and tune correctly

A Guy

·
Registered
438 Posts
@A Guy That's fine - but I've read a lot of technical information regarding the design of the 392 that leads me to conclude - along with many others - that it is not safe unless you rebuilt the engine. The OP is going to do it either way - that's fine - I posted this simply for historical internet record sake.

There is no doubt that you can physically FI the motor and have it run without blowing up - but from a mid/long term reliability standing point - not a great idea.

I do imagine it would be a very fast and exhilarating 20-30k miles though with a supercharged 392 :)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,180 Posts
A member recently made changes to his intercooler set-up and was able to achieve a 20 degree delta. My magnuson setup runs about 30 degree delta.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A member recently made changes to his intercooler set-up and was able to achieve a 20 degree delta. My magnuson setup runs about 30 degree delta.

How do you like the Magnuson? What kind of numbers are you at?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,180 Posts
How do you like the Magnuson? What kind of numbers are you at?
Love the maggie...nice and quiet...with only a hint of whine when you really get on it. Don't have any dyno numbers but probably around +450RWHP on my 5.7. That is based on other challengers with similar setup. The supercharger power is night and day when compared to when my 5.7 was stock.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I ran my 392 for 10k miles with a blower on stock Internals ran great when we opened it up was not sure what I was going to find. Figured a fracture or 2 on top of the pistons but nothing they looked mint block looked mint running 6 psi. As far as the heat exchanger goes I went with the whipple oversized hx if u go to my heat exchanger post I made u can see the difference in power i got out it lowered my iats by 25 degrees. Have dyno graphs before and after

·
Registered
140 Posts
And on top of that if you can by a used whipple kit do it now !!! They are the most effective roots style out there. At my local dyno shop they got 640 whp out of a stock kit. To be honest was a bit jealous. About these motors and blowers it's the heat that kills them pistons are not cut out for the sc system just go to a shop that knows how to tune a 392 with sc setup the shop I go to will not send you out with detonating or a lean fuel trim.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,180 Posts
I have heard and seen that on a stock motor it is the piston rings (although pistons will melt if mixture is lean enough) that can't take the heat. The gap is not sufficient for boost application and when it closes the ring basically binds to the cylinder wall and cause the top piston landing to bust off.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have heard and seen that on a stock motor it is the piston rings (although pistons will melt if mixture is lean enough) that can't take the heat. The gap is not sufficient for boost application and when it closes the ring basically binds to the cylinder wall and cause the top piston landing to bust off.
What he said.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,180 Posts
As for buying used Whipples, you may need to shop carefully. Some folks have complained about the SC unit being noisy at idle. Not bashing whipples...they make solid power...but giving a heads up that they may produce unwanted noise.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Yes this is exactly correct. If you were to properly re-gap the stock rings you could likely run more boost with ?
zero issues so long as you are well tuned. The other thing is the slugs are Hyperutectic so they aren't forgiving
to detonation (others use Hyper slugs in FI setups). Most folks aren't going to waste time re-gapping stock rings
though. So when you crack it open it just makes sense to drop in new slugs and minimum and might as well
do rods too and then go crazy! :)

6LBS is 100% SAFE. I put my Maggie on at 50k miles and I now have nearly 70k miles and it's been absolutely
perfect. There is no reason NOT to SC the 392 so long as you understand that stock you need to stay at 6lbs
or 7LBS with a great tune.

·
Vendor
12,072 Posts
be careful, maximum boost with great tuning, 7 psi, better yet 6

this is what happens!!!!!!!

·
Vendor
12,072 Posts
result, broken piston, damaged head and if lucky no damage or little damage to the block........also be careful with the Whipple or KB they deliver boost instantly where as the Magnuson builds up to it, more difficult to tune the first two to protect the engine

·
Vendor
12,072 Posts
ps what you see in the top of that image is the piston ring

1 - 20 of 30 Posts