Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
That's just a high performance ventilated piston. It allows them to go up and down faster....

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ps what you see in the top of that image is the piston ring

·
Registered
74 Posts
idk why you are getting so many irrelivent answers here! you're going to whipple your car, dont worry about "noisey rotors" as long as there is good oil in the gears, (visisble from glass port on back passenger side of unit). The whipple gets noisy when a/c is on, extra load from a/c compressor + jack shaft design = gear noise. Not an issue. Id recommend the whipple HD or "stage 2" heat exhanger found on their site. Run distilled water and redline water wetter. Just be mindful of how your driving, making boost right after sitting at idle for 10 minutes isnt smart for any FI car due to high IAT's. Dont be an idiot and youll have no problem with heat from the whipple. they have the largest and most efficient IC of any 2.XXL PD blower currently available

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,287 Posts
What is irrelevant about warning the OP about the noise some whipples make? There are a few members here that have complained about it and if they knew about it beforehand they would have probably gone a different route.

Not to mention some folks didn't know that the hood had to be cut to make clearance for the pulley or that the whipple will not work with a shaker equipped challenger.

The whipples do make great power but like any PD SC kit they have their quirks. Just like maggies come with components that look like they came from a napa parts bin special.

And I think you have it all wrong, the whole reason for running a supercharger is so you can be an idiot on the road if you want to be. ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
What is irrelevant about warning the OP about the noise some whipples make? There are a few members here that have complained about it and if they knew about it beforehand they would have probably gone a different route.

Not to mention some folks didn't know that the hood had to be cut to make clearance for the pulley or that the whipple will not work with a shaker equipped challenger.

The whipples do make great power but like any PD SC kit they have their quirks. Just like maggies come with components that look like they came from a napa parts bin special.

And I think you have it all wrong, the whole reason for running a supercharger is so you can be an idiot on the road if you want to be. ;)
The irrelevant answers were aimed more at people saying not to boost a 6.4L, also the whipple instruction manual availible for download on their site clearly states that the hood will have to be modified. In my opinion, after seeing the big 3 pd blowers, KB and whipple are just superior. The KB is ugly AF though. Now again with the sound the whipple makes at idle with the A/C on is just the nature of the design, no ill effect just kinda scares you at first. Besides, who uses A/C anyways.

·
Vendor
12,110 Posts
obviously you dont live in the south, for years we own at least one convertible, and it never saw daylight, driven at night with the top down, cause you couldn't do it during the day

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,287 Posts
The irrelevant answers were aimed more at people saying not to boost a 6.4L, also the whipple instruction manual availible for download on their site clearly states that the hood will have to be modified. In my opinion, after seeing the big 3 pd blowers, KB and whipple are just superior. The KB is ugly AF though. Now again with the sound the whipple makes at idle with the A/C on is just the nature of the design, no ill effect just kinda scares you at first. Besides, who uses A/C anyways.
Oh giving warning about boosting a 6.4 is very relevant. It is fact that they can't handle any mistakes in the tune and they tend not to take too kindly to too much boost.

As for the hood, the instructions say "clearance to hood may be an issue" making it sound like it is not a must. Although they should put in the instructions that the SC unit is prone to making noise that makes it sound like it just sh!t the bed with the AC on and to not to be too concerned as it is normal. :p

BTW when you say whipples are superior out of all 3 PDs are you including the Magnuson TVS2650 in that comparison or were you just considering the TVS2300? Both are smaller than the Whipple 2.9 but the TVS2650 is quite an upgrade compared to the TVS2300 when you get into double digit boost.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts

"Ugly" is subjective. I think the Whipples are pretty ugly compared to my Maggie. But I do realize that Whipple makes far larger SC Cases and can ultimately deliver more power. So if
1/4 mile times are the end game it's going to be Whipple and KB over the Maggie. The biggest maggie we have that works on these Hemi's is the 2600 and my friend runs a 4 Liter
Whipple on his Coyote! It's pretty insane :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oh giving warning about boosting a 6.4 is very relevant. It is fact that they can't handle any mistakes in the tune and they tend not to take too kindly to too much boost.

As for the hood, the instructions say "clearance to hood may be an issue" making it sound like it is not a must. Although they should put in the instructions that the SC unit is prone to making noise that makes it sound like it just sh!t the bed with the AC on and to not to be too concerned as it is normal. :p
View attachment 979677

BTW when you say whipples are superior out of all 3 PDs are you including the Magnuson TVS2650 in that comparison or were you just considering the TVS2300? Both are smaller than the Whipple 2.9 but the TVS2650 is quite an upgrade compared to the TVS2300 when you get into double digit boost.
I have no experience with the 2650

·
Registered
74 Posts
obviously you dont live in the south, for years we own at least one convertible, and it never saw daylight, driven at night with the top down, cause you couldn't do it during the day
I live in Kansas, our summers are often 95-105 and humid. I just roll the windows down and don’t cry about it

21 - 30 of 30 Posts