Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 63K miles on my '15 Challenger R/T 6M. I bought it new, and it looks like I am going to have to keep it for another couple years. I am wondering what expenses are looming around the corner.

At shop today getting aligned and they claim my front left shock is leaking. So, what's next of breaking due to age / miles? Alternator, water pump, battery, seals....? :|

·
Registered
953 Posts
60,000 isn't very many miles. I'm surprised one of your struts would be leaking already. Struts need to be replaced in pairs, so if one is leaking, you need to replace both (you can replace one but your car may feel weird).

I always get more concerned around 90,000. At 90,000 plastic part of the cooling system tend to start failing (in my opinion, any cooling system component that lasts past 90,000 is on borrowed time, this includes radiator, hoses, fan clutch, overflow tank, water pump, thermostat and can include the heater core).

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
From what ive gathered from the dealer service schedule and other forum members, i have sinilar miles (about 45k) on my 6spd 16 rt. Blake fluid flush if dirty (clutch fluid), and check your brakes. I am looking to do the trans fluid also which i think is recommended at 50k

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
From what ive gathered from the dealer service schedule and other forum members, i have sinilar miles (about 45k) on my 6spd 16 rt. Blake fluid flush if dirty (clutch fluid), and check your brakes. I am looking to do the trans fluid also which i think is recommended at 50k
24k for severe service, high ambient temps, high % of stop/go driving. 48k would be 'normal' service interval for M6 fluid service (these use ATF+4 type lubricant).

flush brake fluid every two years - its hygroscopic and absorbs moisture, which lowers boiling point and can induce corrosion in parts of the system, which isn't good. With the ABS system you have redundant lines, so there's a lot of tubing and IIRC, the system doesn't cycle the solenoids on each startup.
- my GM car would do that...couldn't hear the solenoids cycle when you let off the brake after start-up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
At shop today getting aligned and they claim my front left shock is leaking.
Do you think you might have hit a pot hole to damage just one side? Any tire or rim damage to that corner?

Might be a good time to upgrade to some better components.
Last time I hit a significant pothole which I got a flat was over a year ago, but I guess any recent pothole that at the moment I might not have thought was significant might have messed the shock up. I still have to take the wheel off to see my self.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What do you guys think the battery and alternator should last? Alternator I am guessing water pump and alternator should last over 100K miles. I just don't want to find out on some of these items when the car leaves me stranded late at night somewhere,

Timing belt and water pump service guides I've read indicate to be changed at 100K miles. What should I expect that to cost, ball park to have replaced when the time comes (65K miles now)? I am having a local shop do it, not the stealership.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts