Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
"ARTIE" is a Black 2016 R/T+ with Super Track Pack, 6 speed, Ruby Red Interior
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating between 3 modifications on my faily new 2016 R/T STP in this video.
https://youtu.be/Fzb9A2jhiU0
I would like to get your opinion guys, which mod should I do first?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,866 Posts
Before you spend coin on a cat back system. Try replacing the mid mufflers with straight pipe.

As for which mod you should do 1st...depends on what you desire more....power, looks/sound, or handling?

·
Registered
"ARTIE" is a Black 2016 R/T+ with Super Track Pack, 6 speed, Ruby Red Interior
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Power, looks/sound, handling...that is where I'm having a hard time to choose right now.I Might have to wait a bit more to get a better feel of the car before moving towards any of those.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,866 Posts
Power, looks/sound, handling...that is where I'm having a hard time to choose right now.I Might have to wait a bit more to get a better feel of the car before moving towards any of those.
Well if you go power, plan on spending ~$1000 right off the bat to get an unlocked PCM, a tuner and a custom tune. Going this route will most likely give you grief is you want any warranty work on the power train.

If you go looks/sound, cat-back (gives no power) will run you $500-$1500 depending on which set-up you go with. If I were to do it all over again, I would have just removed the mid mufflers.

If you go handling (this includes mods that improve drivability), and considering you have an M6, get rid of the clutch delay valve (costs $0), install a skip shift eliminator ($20 and is plug and play) and get a barton shifter assembly (~$400-500 and takes about an hour or so to install - there is a detail vid on how to do it on youtube). IMO these 3 things are a must for the M6.

·
Registered
724 Posts
IMO do the catch can 1st then the rest in this order. Cai, dyno or email tune and that's it and leave the stock exhaust alone. I made believers out of a lot of guys spending $1000 + just to make a bunch of noise with no performance advantage. I have found out old school mods really don't work on these new generation mods lol.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,866 Posts
Oh yeah, catch can definitely a worth while mod. How much power increase you seeing with just a CAI and custom tune?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Oh yeah, catch can definitely a worth while mod. How much power increase you seeing with just a CAI and custom tune?
On my 07 srt8 jeep with 91 gas with the only mods of cai and cmr dyno tune on a ALL WHEEL DYNOJET it made 27 hp & 34 lbs tq to the wheels and picked up in the 1/8 mile .28 ET & 2.5 mph with a race wt of 5190 lbs.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,866 Posts
On my 07 srt8 jeep with 91 gas with the only mods of cai and cmr dyno tune on a ALL WHEEL DYNOJET it made 27 hp & 34 lbs tq to the wheels and picked up in the 1/8 mile .28 ET & 2.5 mph with a race wt of 5190 lbs.

With jeeps there is power to be had but what about on the challenger?

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I would want it louder. Catch can. Trans stuff (cheap), then looks. Nice car, love the interior.
Good luck.

·
Registered
724 Posts
With jeeps there is power to be had but what about on the challenger?
The challenger has the same mods you can get as the jeep. Mine was a 6.1 motor. The jeep runs on a 4 wheel dyno turning 4 wheels and the challenger runs on a 2 wheel dyno turning 2 wheels so it will put out more hp than the jeep as it takes more hp to turn 4 wheels than 2.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,866 Posts
The challenger has the same mods you can get as the jeep. Mine was a 6.1 motor. The jeep runs on a 4 wheel dyno turning 4 wheels and the challenger runs on a 2 wheel dyno turning 2 wheels so it will put out more hp than the jeep as it takes more hp to turn 4 wheels than 2.
Wait, so you are saying with just a tune and CAI a challenger should expect to see gains of 27HP or greater?

On a jeep I can see squeezing more power out...for example, my 2013 GC has a 5.7 and it only puts out ~340hp at the motor and it's air intake is half the size of the challenger. I ran a 93 octane tune on it and it really woke the motor up. I have heard people eeking out 10-15hp on the challengers but 27hp? Again, I find it hard to believe.

Well I did a search and it looks like the 6.1 does respond well to a dyno tune.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/expected-hp-gains-tuner-6-1l-436314/?436314=#post5940378

·
Registered
724 Posts
Wait, so you are saying with just a tune and CAI a challenger should expect to see gains of 27HP or greater?

On a jeep I can see squeezing more power out...for example, my 2013 GC has a 5.7 and it only puts out ~340hp at the motor and it's air intake is half the size of the challenger. I ran a 93 octane tune on it and it really woke the motor up. I have heard people eeking out 10-15hp on the challengers but 27hp? Again, I find it hard to believe.

Well I did a search and it looks like the 6.1 does respond well to a dyno tune.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/expected-hp-gains-tuner-6-1l-436314/?436314=#post5940378
E mail tunes will not put out what dyno tunes do 1st time out unless the E mail tune as had at least 3 revisions or more on it. The guys in our group with e mail tunes have to data log after every revision to see how the tune looks and to get it all dialed in to get max hp they do at least 2 to 3 revisions on a good tune to get it all dialed in. My self I only have had dyno tunes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts