Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be running a semi-active exhaust on my 2010 stroker.

I would like to be able to enjoy my tunes and have a conversation without yelling, so I'm looking for a set of mufflers that will quieten the rumble while still flowing well.

I will have a set of electronic cut outs that will switch the flow from mufflers to side pipes when I want the 426 to be obnoxious.

Anyone run mufflers that meet the quiet and flow criteria?
I'm looking for recommendations.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
Check out the Magnaflow Street Series, it’s the quiet version of my Competition Series as it also has resonators.

Reactions: chizzle1

·
Registered
109 Posts
Will the newer active exhaust fit.
The 2.75” version from the Scat Pack would flow well and maintain a quieter tone.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will the newer active exhaust fit.
The 2.75” version from the Scat Pack would flow well and maintain a quieter tone.
I was wondering that myself, but what would the price point be.
Putting together a similar kit with cutouts, mufflers, and piping is going to wind up being around $500-$700 and that's me using band clamps. If I have it installed it will be at or over $1k.
My buddy has dual 3" flowmaster hushpower mufflers on his 55 with a modded 454 and it's amazingly quiet. You see the entire car rock when he gooses it but all you hear is a mild rumble from the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm about to go nuts trying to figure out which mufflers to by...I like the quiet of the walker quiet-flow but know if it will flow well enough to let it breath.
The solution would be a electronic cut out setup by that adds $500 to the bill...

I don't want to go with flowmasters or magnaflows due to some reviews mentioning drone in the cabin.
Trying to find a set of dynomax VTs for reasonable, but they all list as unavailable. Guess the spring technology didn't work out for dynomax.

watched a lengthy demonstration of the difflerent flowmaster options, but didn't see any flow numbers.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I ended up going with straight through resonators infront of the stock tips for $250 installed, which look a lot like glass packs to me.
They definitely cleaned up the sound, i think the packing material in stock bottle mufflers must be gone because it sounds much less raspy with the resonators on. Still has a good sound at WOT but much quieter in the cabin.
Sadly I don't have a before video clip, and the after clip sucks due to the wind. I'll try and get a better one later.
mufflershop.jpg

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
I was wondering that myself, but what would the price point be.
Putting together a similar kit with cutouts, mufflers, and piping is going to wind up being around $500-$700 and that's me using band clamps. If I have it installed it will be at or over $1k.
My buddy has dual 3" flowmaster hushpower mufflers on his 55 with a modded 454 and it's amazingly quiet. You see the entire car rock when he gooses it but all you hear is a mild rumble from the exhaust.
Keep a watch for a take-off system. You get people taking these off since they feel the OEM is "too quiet"...

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,723 Posts
I have no problems hearing the stereo with my JBA exhaust when the windows are rolled up. Of course, my system is a tad more than just the cat-backs... >:)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the resonators helped some. after driving around it seems to smooth out the straight pipe sound I had before.
you can still hear the cam lope and choppy idle, and it still sounds good when you get on it.
The interior resonance is reduced by maybe 60%, still there but much less pronounced.
I'm don't think adding straight through resonators decreased performance any, i don't think they would add a noticeable amount of back pressure.
I'll take some pics of them when I do the oil change.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I installed a Flowmaster Force II system on my 16 Challenger. I think its the perfect sound level. On the first start up after installing it I was a little disappointed - didn't think I heard enough of a change for the money spent (I think I spent a little over $600.) But after driving it for awhile its really grown on me, and I realize its exactly what I was looking for when I started shopping for exhaust systems. It's louder, but not obnoxious at all. Zero drone (I have a 6-speed.) When the exhaust is cold I do hear a little buzz/rattle that annoys me, still trying to figure out if its the new exhaust or one of the factory heat shields - kind of tricky to determine. Well built kit, easy to install with no issues, I have access to a hoist but would be easy on jack stands also.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I installed a Flowmaster Force II system on my 16 Challenger. I think its the perfect sound level. On the first start up after installing it I was a little disappointed - didn't think I heard enough of a change for the money spent (I think I spent a little over $600.) But after driving it for awhile its really grown on me, and I realize its exactly what I was looking for when I started shopping for exhaust systems. It's louder, but not obnoxious at all. Zero drone (I have a 6-speed.) When the exhaust is cold I do hear a little buzz/rattle that annoys me, still trying to figure out if its the new exhaust or one of the factory heat shields - kind of tricky to determine. Well built kit, easy to install with no issues, I have access to a hoist but would be easy on jack stands also.
Zero drone? Even at 1700-2100? I am debating on spending some coin for a summit system and installing additional mufflers, but 600 for a catback is a good price.
I'm not worried about it being super loud, I can add some cut outs if I want that. I'm looking for quiet when cruising, and for me that's right around the drone zone of 1700-1900. With the compression I have I can't upshift to 6th until I'm at 75+ or it will cause knock. So I'm generally cruising in 5th at 50-70 mph. Still getting around 24 mpg, but a little louder than I want. When the stock motor was in, i could run 6th as low as 65 with no issues.
would you mind posting some pics and a part number. I'm skeptical of flowmaster due to all the bad drone problems they had in the past. notice any power loss?
thanks for the information. I was looking at the borla and others but they are out of my price range.

damn, $1000 for my application...back to the drawing board.
https://www.flowmastermufflers.com/...ry=Exhaust Systems / Kits&category2&category3

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
so here's the kit I've come up with, cost effective and functional for what I want:
summit no frills SRT8 3" cat back $600
badlandz dual 3" cutout kit $300
Tips & pipe for cut out $50
installation - $0 (me)

I'll keep the stock system for now, and if the mufflers on the summit cat back are too loud I'll add to it as needed.
the cut outs will exit infront of each back tire, with hidden blacked out tips angled down and out.
I would like have the cutout exhaust line exit the back also but there isn't enough room.

thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,865 Posts
Nothing looks quiet with that set-up. :naughty: The mid muffler looks like the stock mufflers and H pipe I had and when I paired it up to glass pack type resonators from BB the drone at lower rpms was pretty annoying. :11:

·
Registered
947 Posts
I bought the magnaflow axle-back system and it probably one of the more conservative systems out there. No drone, fairly quiet, nice quality. I think it was about $550 or so from Maryland Speed.

I'm actually considering the Dynomax mini bullets to replace the mid mufflers to get a little more aggressive sound in the upper rpms, but I fear drone!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nothing looks quiet with that set-up. :naughty: The mid muffler looks like the stock mufflers and H pipe I had and when I paired it up to glass pack type resonators from BB the drone at lower rpms was pretty annoying. :11:
I know I may have to add a set of mufflers, but I will be upgrading to 3" pipe from the cats back. That should let the 426 breath better than the 2.75 to 2.5 inch pipe I'm running now.
$400 for a set of 3" duals with H pipe is a good deal even without the mufflers.

I bought the magnaflow axle-back system and it probably one of the more conservative systems out there. No drone, fairly quiet, nice quality. I think it was about $550 or so from Maryland Speed.

I'm actually considering the Dynomax mini bullets to replace the mid mufflers to get a little more aggressive sound in the upper rpms, but I fear drone!

Challenger SRT8 Magnaflow Axle-Back (Traction Off) - YouTube
Drone sucks. On the 5.7 it wasn't very bad but on the stroker it's 3 times as bad.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,865 Posts

Challenger SRT8 Magnaflow Axle-Back (Traction Off) - YouTube
My experience has been that mid mufflers do not play as much of a role in drone as the resonators do. I replaced the rear resonators with glass packs and good God the drone around 1500-2000 rpm was mind rattling.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My experience has been that mid mufflers do not play as much of a role in drone as the resonators do. I replaced the rear resonators with glass packs and good God the drone around 1500-2000 rpm was mind rattling.

i drove the car this morning and the resonators seem to be working better. they may have needed a few miles to get burned in??
it's definitely quieter, i don't hear the exhaust echoing off buildings anymore (which I'm sure my neighbors appreciate).

and yes, the drone with the resonators gone was very annoying.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I did the reso-delete on my old R/T with straight pipe and had unbelievable drone! This Magnaflow axle back system replaces the resos with a straight-through baffled muffler, resulting in minimal drone. I hope you are right about the mid-mufflers. I think I'll try the mini bullets and see if that gets me where I want to be.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 68 Posts