Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read a few posts about these and I am convinced to get one for my new 2018 RT, but now my question is "which one" to get!

I assume they are pretty much the same for any of the engines really but thought I'd specifically mention I have a 5.7L just in case. I just want to see what people's recommendations are and preferably "why". Though I realize they "probably" all do about the same job so the "why" might just be personal preference. And I'm not fully aware of all the different brands out there yet either.

Thanks!

EDIT - Ended up going with the Speedlogix one. I was already going to order a few things from there and after looking over the many recommendations they all started to seem kinda the same (no offense) so figured it'd be easier to get one of theirs since I was already gonna place an order. Went with the black one, in hopes it blends in more in the engine bay and appears more "stock". I'm all for that "sleeper" look :) (not that this really affects performance)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I put the Speedlogix one in. Easy install. Looks good. No complaints.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,480 Posts
I went with the large Moroso catch can, because it has a valve on the bottom to empty it, and ran a drain hose to the bottom of the car. I mounted it on the fender where I found a metal tab with a hole in it, so I didn't have to drill anything.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the speedlogic one as well, however it will not work with the factory intake tube as the silencer chamber blocks the mounting location. You would need to get a charger air intake tube (see pic) or aftermarket one. I could never drain the can without swinging the catch a little to twist off the bottom.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f449/5-7l-charger-intake-tube-torque-loss-625002/?625002=#post7973162

Thanks for the link! Now has me rethinking my original idea to get the Hellcat intake with Charger tube from speedlogix, hmmm

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with the large Moroso catch can, because it has a valve on the bottom to empty it, and ran a drain hose to the bottom of the car. I mounted it on the fender where I found a metal tab with a hole in it, so I didn't have to drill anything.
I'd love to see pics of your install of this!

·
Registered
291 Posts
For you guys running the Speedlogic, check your fitting that attaches to the intake and see how much oil you have there. I used to run a UPR clone of that can on my Mustang and I would have a ton of oil pooled in the fitting at the intake which meant a lot of oil was still getting past the can.

I run a Bob's Auto Sports can now and it only leaves a slight film. I know there are a few people using this can on here.

Not all catch cans are the same as far as effectiveness due to their internal designs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
For you guys running the Speedlogic, check your fitting that attaches to the intake and see how much oil you have there. I used to run a UPR clone of that can on my Mustang and I would have a ton of oil pooled in the fitting at the intake which meant a lot of oil was still getting past the can.

I run a Bob's Auto Sports can now and it only leaves a slight film. I know there are a few people using this can on here.

Not all catch cans are the same as far as effectiveness due to their internal designs.
I was just doing some researching recently about the efficiency of the different brands. Haven't found too much that's conclusive, just anecdotal. Personally, I've used a BT catch can on three previous Hemis, and am about to install it on my 2018 R/T 5.7. I have a Charger intake still from my 2014 5.7 installation, but I think I'll keep the factory silencer in place for my new one. Just received the fender mount bracket from BT. I've also read that the fender mount is a cooler location and therefore helps coax more oil out of the crankcase vapors, so that seems like a plus (if true). We'll see how it goes. In all three previous applications the can was about 2/3 full at each oil change.

·
Registered
2015 R/T
496 Posts
I went with the Speedlogix can so far works fine and last time I emptied I had about 1 ounce of oil. I had to chnage to the Charger air tube to mount mine in the frt you can just see the top of my can in pic

Attachments

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,480 Posts
I'd love to see pics of your install of this!
It can still be seen in my garage.

I haven't changed the photos there yet, because half of the stuff on this website doesn't work for me. Once I'm able to update it, you'll see the super charger I now have instead of the catch can.

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Went with a product that was sold by Steve White Motors on my 2017. Read the description as to why and you can also verify fittment with Steve White Motors before purchase.

https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/steve-white-catalog/challenger-charger-5.7l-6.1l-6.4l-intake-manifold-catch-can-oil-air-separator/swmcatchcan/?parent=1003

The only thing I had to do was take off the big plastic engine cover as it would not fit with the Can installed but no big deal as it was a heat trap anyway.
I'm sure all of the brands do a great job of trapping oil vapor, but I went with my BT can on the fender mount because I didn't want to remove the silencer or factory engine cover this time around (this is my fourth Hemi with the same can). My 2009 300C SRT8 was what I originally bought it for, and just used the standard mount (front bolt). On my 2015 R/T 5.7 I used the standard mount with the Charger intake but kept the engine cover on. My 2015 Scat Pack used the Z bracket. My only concern with the fender mount was the extra-long length of vacuum hose needed, but I haven't heard of any concerns. However, the fender mount sure makes it easy to unscrew the can once the 8-32 socket head screw is removed and the unit lifted over the washer bottle (but still a little fussier that the Z bracket on the Scat Pack). I always struggled with the standard mount location to get a good grip on the can to unscrew it. Check out the pic. The left-side elbow on the can interferes with the plastic wire tray by the fuse box, but I just popped the xmas tree of the tray out of its bracket hole and put the can underneath it. I just put it on at 1400 miles, and it always amazes me how quickly oil starts collecting in it with just a few days of driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put the Speedlogix one in. Easy install. Looks good. No complaints.
This is what I ended up going with, but the black one to hopefully try and make it blend in more in the engine bay. I was already ordering some parts from them, and as I looked around they mostly all seemed about the same so just was easier to thru that in there too. :) Should get it later this week!

·
Registered
185 Posts
what hose did you use? unfortunately the hoses they sent me were not that flexible... Maybe they were just cold lol
I used the ones they sent me - I installed it a couple of months ago when it was probably in the 60's here and had no issues.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
This is what I ended up going with, but the black one to hopefully try and make it blend in more in the engine bay. I was already ordering some parts from them, and as I looked around they mostly all seemed about the same so just was easier to thru that in there too. :) Should get it later this week!
It blends in pretty well. If you didn't know what the "before" looked like, it would be relatively invisible.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts