Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of oil filter are you guys using? I am an old Ford guy and always used Motorcraft filters because of the diaphragm that prevents back flow. Noticed that the FL-820S fits our Challengers.

Thanks!
~Raymond

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Since the oil filter is attached to the engine in an upright orientation it would be difficult to get oil to drain out of it without poking a hole in the bottom.

I use the Mopar oil filter because I'm am OEM kinda guy.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
I have been using the K&N flilter but yesterday when I was getting my oil changed the service guy there told me that he cut open a K&N one time and it was so stopped up and was hard as a rock. I would think that would have been due to not changing oil that much.

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
As long as my warranty is in effect, I plan to use the recommended MOPAR filter. Not that others aren't good or maybe better but why risk a warranty issue?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have been using Fram filters for over 40 years.
They were always the standard.
Never had a oil filter failure or oil pressure problem.

·
Super Moderator
13,958 Posts
The best filter out there is the Mobil 1. They are expensive, so an excellent alternative is the Purolator Pure One. That is what I use. It is advertised as being 99.9% effective in trapping contaminants.

PureONE Oil Filters

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I use the K&N 2010

........also.......I have used FRAM filters, Motorcraft filters, WIX filters, MOPAR filters, just about you name it. The only problem I have ever had was not related to the filter, it was related to the idiot installing it. (Not me BTW). One was the idiot at the Dodge place in Amarillo, the other was a Kwik Kar. They simply didn't tighten the filter properly. I used to race my Mustang with the engine hitting 8 - 9K alot. Never had the FRAM filter do anything except what it was supposed to do.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys! I have stuck with Motorcraft for years, being a Ford guy. I may explore using the Purolator or the Mobile 1. I know one thing, I will be using Castrol Syntec.

~Raymond

·
Registered
483 Posts
I wouldn't use a FRAM on anything. Biggest junk around. Do any research on them and you will find nothing but problems. At the shop I used to work at, we would get a few engines a year that would die because of FRAM filters falling apart for many different reasons.

I use WIX or Napa Gold (Same thing) on everything.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Royal Purple now has oil filters also. Worth looking into and I may try one on my next chage in the 09. Prior to that I used the K&N Gold Performance filter on my Daytona and never had any issues.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I wouldn't use a FRAM on anything. Biggest junk around. Do any research on them and you will find nothing but problems. At the shop I used to work at, we would get a few engines a year that would die because of FRAM filters falling apart for many different reasons.

I use WIX or Napa Gold (Same thing) on everything.
^^^
This! Also, don't buy your Mopar oil filters at Walmart, they are NOT the same as OEM. Inside every box at Walmart you will find an ancient Chinese secret.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
According to numerous comparison tests I have read, Amsoil oil filters are the best that you can buy in terms of trapping ultra-fine particles. While Mobil 1, Purolator, et al. are all fine filters, none achieve Amsoil's ability to trap particles down to 2 microns.

- R

·
Registered
66 Posts
Being an ex mechanic and a gear head i've always wanted the best for my cars. I've always used either OEM or Fram. I've never had any problems with Fram no matter what car i've had and i've had over 20 and most of them over 100,000 miles with original engines.

Reactions: salvy59

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
use the Wix filter ....never ever use a Fram
I'm a Wix guy too. I've used them on all my vehicles. From the research I've done, most people with show vehicles, exclusively use Wix and wouldn't use anything else. But everyone has their own preference and reasons why.
I use Mobil 1 for my oil, but now that some stores are carrying Royal Purple, I might switch to that.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
this is my back woods chat here but take this for what you will
i used to use fram yrs ago.. i noticed everytime i used one ( on my silverado ) that oil pressure would drop 15 - 20 psi.. when i would put something else on it would go back up. I also noticed that i had more valve noise with fram.. SO i gave that up quickly. plus on our sprint car we used fram and noticed the same thing.. give that up specially on a 45,000 dollar motor lol

So fast forward to the challenger.. i have a 09 srt. i changed the oil right after i bought it and used a mobil 1 filter mobile one oil.. had LOTS of lifter noise.. not bad but more than i care for. SO i dumped it and put this filter on
Chrysler Jeep Dodge SRT SRT8 Performance Oil Filter Filters Mopar 5 7L 6 1L 6 4L | eBay

NO MORE LIFTER NOISE.. this works on 6.1 6.4 and i think ( don't hold me to it ) the 5.7 motors.. after i went to this no more noise.. yes you have to buy them from a vendor or order from the dealer. but i will stick with it.. worked for me very very well.

just passin what little info i have along.

chris

Reactions: O_Racing
1 - 20 of 50 Posts