Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I've stated on here a few times, I bought a very modded out Challenger that someone traded in to a dealership and of course they knew very little about it and I'm still struggling to try to get ahold of the original owner so I turn to the trust community on these forums for potential guidance!

The 2015 Challenger I bought was originally a 5.7L V8 Shaker. It is now a 6.2L Hellcat Shortblock. THIS is all I have to go on with what was done to the Challenger.

The manual recommends 5W-20 for the 5.7, and 0W-40 for both the 6.4L and the 6.2L Supercharged SRT.

If I had to take an educated guess, I'd say the 0W-40 would be the way to go. But I plan on getting the Penzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic and its not cheap. So I'd like to be sure before I go ahead and get it.

Which would be what you all would say I should use in this engine based on what's been done to it as shown HERE

I'm unfortunately pretty ignorant when it comes to most mechanical things..so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,551 Posts
You'll definitely be looking at oil for the 6.2L installed, so yes, the Penzoil would be a good choice

A Guy

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Penzoil 0w40 Mobil 1 0w40
Amsoil 5w40. Redline Gibbs ext

It’s comes down to what makes you sleep better at night. I am not a huge fan of mobil in performance motors and personally like redline. I also hear a lot of people and trued myself 5w40 shell rotella.

You can ask a2speed what they think also since you have it built by them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
I can't think of anything in that car that says 5w20 except maybe the grill emblems. Your car is essentially a 6.2, but I would do as us1champ says and ask the builder. NICE RIDE (builder may have another preference over Penzoil 0w40)

·
Super Moderator
13,334 Posts
Mobil 1, 0W-40, was recommended by Dodge for my 2009 6.1 engine It's a high quality synthetic oil that is reasonably priced. I figure that if it's good enough for NASCAR, its good enough for my SRT.

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
check with your local dealer(s)

I just bought 7 qts from the local dealer. With sales tax ~ $7.55 / qt.

- I can't find prices that cheap on Amazon or Walmart (which seems to be more expensive than in past)

So anymore, I'll buy from the local dealer, and don't have to wait for shipping

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Almost certainly the 6.2l Hellcat short block has the same bearing clearances as the Hellcat engines installed into various cars.

Thus I'd use the oil Dodge says to use with the Hellcat engine which is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-40 Full Synthetic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
9 Participants
Marks_1320
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing