Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Team A,

Which Premium Gas do you use and prefer for your SRT Challengers/Scatpacks/ R/T's. Please fill the poll below. Lets see how each of us has experienced.

Top Tier Fuel Brand:
Dodge Trim of Car:
MPG Average:
Performance boost experience:

Let me start,

Top Tier Fuel Brand: BP
Dodge Trim of Car: SRT392 Challenger
MPG Average: 17.6 City/
Performance boost experience: No Boost. I think somethings holding back.

That is why i would like to change the fuel brand, so any inputs is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
13,867 Posts
For years I have used Sunoco. However, I now use Valero (93 octane). It is a top tier gasoline and is discounted in my area.

I have a 2009 SRT and average 18 mpg with my 6.1. I have noticed no difference in performance between these two brands.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Love these topics. Opinions/information always changes.

Here goes:
Top Tier Fuel Brand: Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium (93 oct)
Dodge Trim of Car: 09 R/T moderately modified
MPG Average: 22-24 (highway + city)
Performance boost experience: hard to say, been using since mile 10,000. Now @ 105k

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Puzzled... are you expecting to "go faster" or "be quicker" with one brand over another? Or a top-tier brand over a mom-and-pop station?

If so, it isn't going to happen. Gas is gas - as it relates to the potential energy stored in the liquid fuel....

Hello Team A,

Which Premium Gas do you use and prefer for your SRT Challengers/Scatpacks/ R/T's. Please fill the poll below. Lets see how each of us has experienced.

Top Tier Fuel Brand:
Dodge Trim of Car:
MPG Average:
Performance boost experience:

Let me start,

Top Tier Fuel Brand: BP
Dodge Trim of Car: SRT392 Challenger
MPG Average: 17.6 City/
Performance boost experience: No Boost. I think somethings holding back.

That is why i would like to change the fuel brand, so any inputs is appreciated.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Chevron or Shell are my preferred choices.
Challenger SP.
I didn't buy it to track mpg. :smile:
Performance boost.... it ain't rocket fuel. :smile:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good morning, This is the information you requested! No deviation! I typically fill-up on my way home once below 1/4.

SHELL V-POWER NITRO+ PREMIUM GASOLINE
SRT8 2009
I don't typically check If you need, I will check next time out (Sunny day)
Boost?:Non turbo or Supercharged. Car runs excellent on Shell. No issues

·
Registered
537 Posts
Top Tier Fuel Brand: Any Top Tier. Mostly Shell 93 since there's a station right near my house as well as work.
Dodge Trim of Car: 2014 R/T M6 (no mods)
MPG Average: 22-24
Performance boost experience: n/a

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Puzzled... are you expecting to "go faster" or "be quicker" with one brand over another? Or a top-tier brand over a mom-and-pop station?

If so, it isn't going to happen. Gas is gas - as it relates to the potential energy stored in the liquid fuel....
Hello Sad,

While I asked this, I have a few things running at the back of my mind:

1. Would an addition of Octane like "VP Racing Maddative Octanium Octane Concentrate" be a better in mileage and would that add little power (HP) to the engine resulting in better performance.

2. I also know that the 100 Octane for racing cars would not be a great option as mine isnt tuned for racing, however it might lower the output to a negligible extent. But I don't know how that works, so any feedback would be highly appreciated.

3. What is the catch behind getting 20 mpg and above on city roads, DC has a lot of traffic :(

4. BP also I think isnt giving me the best output for my car, so was planning to change and hence wanted a poll from everyone , so it seems that Shell V or Sunoco would be the best option to go for, and also Sunoco is $0.50 cents cheaper here :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
3. What is the catch behind getting 20 mpg and above on city roads, DC has a lot of traffic :(
Get a different car as a commuter that has a chance at getting that sort of mileage in the city. :smile:

I imagine you're just chasing your tail trying to get an SRT to get that sort of mileage in city traffic. Probably not going to happen no matter what boosters and fuel you try. It's the driving style you're stuck doing that's killing your mpg.

And, if you have to baby it all the time to try and get the most mpg out of her, what's the fun of having an SRT?? Get another car as a commuter, or pay for gas and don't worry about mpg. My take on it anyway.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Top Tier Fuel Brand: Unknown, whatever Aafes (Army and Air Force Exchange Service) contracts (rumor is Chevron or BP depending on location).
Dodge Trim of Car: 2014 R/T (A5)
MPG Average: 19-20 city-ish, 27 highway (using mid-grade as outlined in the Owner's Manual).
Performance boost experience: Mine's a cruiser...not chasing every 1/10th. Fuel mileage is exactly where it should be.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Top Tier Fuel Brand: Shell (1) Chevron (2)
Dodge Trim of Car: T/A 392
MPG Average: 19.7
Performance boost experience: Unknown. That is all I have ever run in it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Top Tier Fuel Brand: Speedway (Marathon) - It's in one of the richest areas on a busy road so I know 93OCT turns over frequently
Dodge Trim of Car: R/T 6MT + 93OCT Tune
MPG Average: 14.7 - Autocross and driving aggressively (3rd car)
Performance boost experience: I don't get any ST or LT Knock.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I use BP 93. I used to use Shell 93 but after datalogging a few times with different tanks of gas, I noticed it was getting more knock retard than normal. Switched back to the BP 93 and it went away.
A few years ago I would buy gas a particular Shell station near work and would get "ping" in all of our cars. Switched to another Shell station nearby and all was good. I bought gas at the original station again and the same thing happened.... "ping". I thought it was odd since they appear to be on the same route for the corporate gas delivery truck. Anyway, I just stopped going there. A couple of months (or so) later I noticed the station lot was all dug up. I went in and asked what was going on and the guy told me they were replacing the underground tanks because they were getting water seepage. So, my point is, sometimes it could be the station as opposed to the brand. Just one more data point. :nerd:

·
Registered
37 Posts
A few years ago I would buy gas a particular Shell station near work and would get "ping" in all of our cars. Switched to another Shell station nearby and all was good. I bought gas at the original station again and the same thing happened.... "ping". I thought it was odd since they appear to be on the same route for the corporate gas delivery truck. Anyway, I just stopped going there. A couple of months (or so) later I noticed the station lot was all dug up. I went in and asked what was going on and the guy told me they were replacing the underground tanks because they were getting water seepage. So, my point is, sometimes it could be the station as opposed to the brand. Just one more data point. :nerd:
All fuel is the same. Fortune 10 Oil and Gas employee here ;-)

The way a distribution terminal works (simplified version).... Fuel is fungeable. Meaning refineries pump fuel into the "system"... And whatever they pump in, they can draw out. This fuel is transported and mixed with all other fuel at a giant terminal.

A BP truck comes along and draws fuel from the same terminal that the ExxonMobil truck draws from. The only difference is at the point of draw, the unique additives are injected into the supply - at the truck.

Fuel is made to very strict standards, so it's all the same - one refinery to another - one brand to another. What makes it unique is the detergents and additives. Which themselves do nothing for engine performance.

The observation that one gas station has better fuel than another is one of two things.... simply coincidence... or condition of a particular gas station's pumping/storage system.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
37 Posts
If the above isn't clear... think of the model for banking and an ATM.

When you go to an ATM, you don't get ~your~ money out... it's not the same $20 bill you deposited... And you don't have to go to YOUR bank to get it either.

You go draw $100 from "the system".... and then your bank owes "the system" $100 to cover what you took.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Top Tier Fuel Brand: Costco 93
Dodge Trim of Car: SPS 392 Manual
MPG Average: 17 ish
Performance boost experience: None

I generally run Costco gas because they don't upcharge quite as bad for premium. Until not too long ago it was .20/gallon, went to .40, now it's .35. Most regular gas stations in MD it's .80 or more. I've run Shell, BP and Sheetz, always 93 and not noticed any difference. I really don't care about MPG, but it plummets in heavy traffic. I can make it go even lower with my right foot.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts