Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

New to the forum! I’ll keep it brief , but I’m here for help. I’m 24 and getting ready to buy my first Challenger. I’m deciding between two models. One is a 2014 R/T Shaker with about 47k miles and red leather seats. The other is a 2016 R/T Plus with about 41k miles and black leather seats. The ‘16 is about 5k more. I do t plan on keeping either longer than 2-3 years and then will trade in for a new one. Does it make sense to get the newer one even though it’s more expensive because the trade in value will be better (possibly) or is it better to save money and get a slightly older model?Are there any issues I should look out for that make the post ‘14 models better/worse? Anyone own both? Which was better and why? Thanks for all of your help. Sorry for all the noob questions but this is my first financed car..

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The 2014 and 2016 look different mainly in the front and back and interior, do you like the look of one better than the other? If you're getting automatic. The 2015+ has a 8 speed auto that is better than the older 5 speed. I can't say what's better financially but those are the differences in the cars to consider

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 2014 and 2016 look different mainly in the front and back and interior, do you like the look of one better than the other? If you're getting automatic. The 2015+ has a 8 speed auto that is better than the older 5 speed. I can't say what's better financially but those are the differences in the cars to consider
i don’t think I like the loom of one better than the other. I like them both a lot. I’m more interested in buying the better overall car in terms of value when it comes time to trade up and looking for any red flags with either series..

I am going automatic

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Do you guys think a 6 year old R/T with 47k Miles is too old to consider in this situation?
Depends on state, where was it kept, etc? I've seen 2 year old cars with perfect bodies in NY, but look underneath, and they're all rusting out. They're driven in winter and the owners didn't even bother to wash the salt off occasionally.

Reactions: AceBoogie

·
Registered
2018 R/T 6M
244 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,505 Posts
Which one is a better value now, who knows what the future holds for anything? You can’t go about this with so many what ifs.
how about what if they don’t still make the Challenger in 3 years or they turn it into something less desirable? Maybe buy a brand new one now. It's just a car and your showing too much of an emotional attachment already so you may not make a wise business decision in purchasing one. Why these two examples, there are tons of them for sale. You must have a poker face when buying anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which one is a better value now, who knows what the future holds for anything? You can’t go about this with so many what ifs.
how about what if they don’t still make the Challenger in 3 years or they turn it into something less desirable? Maybe buy a brand new one now. It's just a car and your showing too much of an emotional attachment already so you may not make a wise business decision in purchasing one. Why these two examples, there are tons of them for sale. You must have a poker face when buying anything.
I’m looking at these two because they are local and in my price range with the options that I desire. I just have no previous experwith Dodge and wanted to know if one series was preferred over the other and why.

·
Super Moderator
17,431 Posts
the shaker hood (factory model) will hold its value better than a regular R/T

the advance the '16 has is the eight speed automatic vs. the five speed (which is still a good transmission)

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
3,227 Posts
If the 2014 has an automatic transmission, get the 2016, otherwise I'd go for the Shaker for some strange reason...

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,002 Posts
Get the 2016, you will get more value for your money, more resale out of it when you get rid of it, and the refreshed items present on the 2015+ are well worth the extra cost over a 2014 and below.

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts
I'll offer this; I had a 2009 (very similar to the 2014) and now have a 2015 (very similar to the 2016). I like the 2015 and up model a lot more.
You will have to decide which one you like better and what you can afford. But you really can't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just an opinion from a 13 owner. Get the newer one. Shaker option realistically won't mean much more at trade in time. Also, you want to be as close as possible to current bodystyle if you're only keeping it a short while.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought the 2014 had 16,650 km on it.
If it’s Shaker it will be limited edition as on 2000 made in US and 131 in Canada.
There should be a number on the dashboard.
I like the older version including inside, new are nice with digital but I like old school gauges.
Both are nice but I like Shaker, mine never seen winter but as someone said earlier check for rust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.