Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm counting down the days until the loan on my Mazda3 is paid off so I can finally buy a Challenger R/T.

With that said, for some reason, the reliability of the Challenger worries me. With that said, am I better off buying a 2016/2017 for the powertrain warranty which to my knowledge is 5 years/60k miles? Low mileage examples go for between 23k-30k at dealers around me.

Or is it worth it to go older, say 09-14? I found a couple clean looking low mileage examples for under $20k.

Is it worth the extra few thousand dollars for the warranty and upgraded interior? Is the warranty comprehensive? Is it worth it to buy from a private seller?

As an interesting sidenote, it looks like the older challengers come in the best colors! The newer ones around me tend to be solid grays, silvers, and blues.

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
I've had a 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016. The quality has continually improved. I have had zero problems with my 2016 and IMO, it far surpasses the pre-2015s in terms of durability, fit, finish, comfort and features. The only fault I find with it is the paper thin sheet metal. Other than that I'm highly satisfied with my 2016. Keep in mind for every complaint on a Forum there are a thousand who didn't have that problem. As far as colors, the 2016 & 2017s have an array of high impact colors too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
With the 2017's you get the active exhaust and it sounds great. You don't need an aftermarket exhaust with that sound. As far as colors, I guess it depends on what you like. I was torn between the Octane Red and Maximum Steel, and decided on the Max Steel, a dark blue-gray. I find it really unique. I think warranties are always good if you can swing it.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
No one I know has had any issues with their Challengers, and some get hard use.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just a suggestion. Maybe try and find a certified pre owned. It pushes the power train warranty to 7 years / 100,000 miles. Kind of hard to beat.

I found a CPO 2015 R/T M6 with Super Track Pack and navigation with 8,000 miles on it in October of last year for $25,500 out the door. Couldn’t be happier.

Reactions: silver scat

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yesterday, I picked up my 2018 Challenger GT after its 4th trip to the dealership in seven weeks (no resolution to the problem). They had two F8 green ones. Very nice color in person.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,937 Posts
The 15' and up Challengers have been pretty awesome for me so far, though my 2015 Shaker's water pump just went bad at 28,500 miles, still covered under warranty though. Also my 2017 T/A has only had minor issues (early on) with the new infotainment system. It's been pretty good this past 9 months or so, the only thing I don't like about it is the NAV is not very accurate some of the time.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Yesterday, I picked up my 2018 Challenger GT after its 4th trip to the dealership in seven weeks (no resolution to the problem). They had two F8 green ones. Very nice color in person.
Doesn't the lemon law kick in after 3 visits for the same problem now? There should be a fire lit under someone's butt by now.

Reactions: CtheW0rld

·
Registered
194 Posts
Doesn't the lemon law kick in after 3 visits for the same problem now? There should be a fire lit under someone's butt by now.
I sent an email to my ChryslerCare rep last night about that very thing. I asked, nicely, if we could settle this without getting lawyers involved. Here is ihs response:

"I'm notifying the appropriate personnel for review. It might be a couple days before I get a response -but if anything happens in the meantime please let me know. "

To his credit, he's been pretty good to work with.

I've given them a couple choices:

1. Return my trade (dealer still has it on their lot) and money paid and let me walk away
  2. Replace the vehicle

PA has tight lemon laws. Three strikes and you're out. It would be nice to have a company do the right thing for a change, though.

EDIT: Literally 3 minutes after I made this post I received this from the ChryslerCare person:

"Good evening .... your case has been taken over by the appropriate personnel. You should hear back from them in 1-2 business days."

Reactions: elitechallenger

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
EDIT: Literally 3 minutes after I made this post I received this from the ChryslerCare person:

"Good evening .... your case has been taken over by the appropriate personnel. You should hear back from them in 1-2 business days."
I feel a little better after reading that. At least it sounds like your case has been kicked up the food chain, so to speak. I'm pulling for you.

Reactions: CtheW0rld

·
Registered
220 Posts
I bought a 2015 sxt w/ stp option about a year ago.
The super Track Pack option makes it a much different car from the base sxt.
But it is not a sxt plus. No leather no 8.4 radio or adaptive cc or power tilt telescopic steering wheel.
This car is very nice the 20” wheels the summer tires the sport suspension sits lower then a base sxt
i live in Ca. Rarely ever gets below freezing. I love the car

I drove a bunch of R/T’s last year during my search But
Once I sat inside the 2015+ challengers w/ the redesigned dash gauges I was sold
I made a rediculous offer on this car and they took it. 305 hp is Decent power

Now I Want a 2017 R/T shaker A8 in billet silver with super track pack.
In hindsite I Should have bought that last year, but I still love this car. I might keep it.
I agree 2015+ Challenger have much nicer interiors, quality seems better less hard plastic
Brushed aluminum surrounding shifter

I would suggest you Get a 2015 or newer RT Shaker w/ stp option.
Good Luck

·
Registered
194 Posts
I feel a little better after reading that. At least it sounds like your case has been kicked up the food chain, so to speak. I'm pulling for you.
Just had a call from a "Patricia" at Dodge Resolution (214-583-2171). She said they will not be doing anything for me. I found it particularly sketchy they wouldn't put that in writing.

To the OP: I didn't mean to hijack your thread, sorry. I stand by my original post, though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I try not to buy used. Sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't. I just don't take the chance even with buying extended warranty on pre-owned. If money is a factor you can get great deals on 17's just wait for rebates to come back on them. They'll be offering rebates very soon again on 17's usually $4500 to $5500 off before you negotiate price off sticker. My 15 R/T I got $5500 in rebates before my wife beat them up off sticker price:wink3:.(Bought R/T in Jan. 2016). Don't have any longer but will be getting left over 17 or maybe waiting till fall of 18 to get one. Good luck with what ever you decide.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Personally I am loving my 2015 R/T Plus A8 with STP. Can still find them with low miles and still under the factory warranty.

Reactions: silver scat

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Picking a Challenger is like picking a donut from a variety dozen box. No matter which one you pick, it's going to be good.

When I bough my used Challenger, I struggled with all the choices. I was all over the map with possibilities. But what got me focused was when my wife asked "haven't you always wanted a black car with red interior". This from the woman who seem disinterested every time I pointed out a sharp classic car over our nearly 40 years together. Turns out she was listening and knew what I wanted more than I did.

Think about what your priorities are. If it's the performance, then any R/T will do. But if color, stripes, wheels, sound system, hood scoop style.....or your budget........are most important, use that to narrow your search.

For me, it was Black with Red interior, second was NO CHROME WHEELS (I hate chrome), I ended up with one with matte- black stripes on black paint and a sunroof (things I really didn't care about), but ended up liking.

And final advice....is be patient. If you wait for the "right car" to come along, you'll be happier in the end.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I have an '09 R/T Classic in B5 Blue and have had very few problems with it over 8 1/2 years. I just replaced the original battery which is an incredible comment on its durability and only because the info center showed it had 11.9V, so it was decaying slowly. I still have original brakes. Tire wear has been excellent. I get 28 MPG cruising at 75-85 with a M6.
I did have an issue with the key fob not being recognized and had to start it with the key in the dash. That was fixed under my lifetime warranty. And the master cylinder had an internal leak also replaced under warranty. Other than that, no issues at all.
But if I were to replace my car, I would get the 485 HP engine and Brembo brakes as they are far better than the R/T engine and brakes.
Best of luck,
Bob

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a 2013 R/T with 70k on it. I have not had any issues with the car. I used to drive 100 miles a day though LA traffic with a 4+ hour round trip commute and the car is still solid.

CTheWorld: I had a 2011 Mustang that had issues from day 1. Airbag light would go off, ABS would randomly activate, windows would roll down, car would stall etc... Ford passed me though there Customer Advocate team which was a total joke. I gave them the 2 options you asked for and got a no from them after 2 months. I took the car to several dealers and was actually told not to come back to one service department when i showed video of the issues. I ended up having to get an attorney and they got my money back. It took about 3 years to get it settled.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought a 26k miles used '15 RT last summer. It's been solid so far and such a great car to drive around. LOVE it. Anyhow, for me it all came down to the color I wanted. They change colors out year to year so took some hunting to find the perfect color I wanted.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Picking a Challenger is like picking a donut from a variety dozen box. No matter which one you pick, it's going to be good.

When I bough my used Challenger, I struggled with all the choices. I was all over the map with possibilities. But what got me focused was when my wife asked "haven't you always wanted a black car with red interior". This from the woman who seem disinterested every time I pointed out a sharp classic car over our nearly 40 years together. Turns out she was listening and knew what I wanted more than I did.

Think about what your priorities are. If it's the performance, then any R/T will do. But if color, stripes, wheels, sound system, hood scoop style.....or your budget........are most important, use that to narrow your search.

For me, it was Black with Red interior, second was NO CHROME WHEELS (I hate chrome), I ended up with one with matte- black stripes on black paint and a sunroof (things I really didn't care about), but ended up liking.

And final advice....is be patient. If you wait for the "right car" to come along, you'll be happier in the end.

That was one awesome response. :wink3:

With me, I always had the dream of a purple Challenger with a white interior, and white side stripes. It wasn't until 2016 that they let you have a white interior with purple. It's my everyday car, and I absolutely love it! I'm an old fart, so I'm more into creature comforts than joining the horse power club. The only issue I see where we disagree is chrome. It was chrome or go home in the old days. lol

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts