Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thank you. I'm buying a 2016 sxt plus challenger and could us some help on which sound system I should put in.
So we have the base sound which I believe has 6 speakers 200 something watts or the Sound Group 2 with 506 watt amplifier 9 speaker & subwoofer then there is the Premium Sound Group with 18 speaker Harman/Kardon 900watt system.
How do you people like the systems you have?
I'm looking more between the group 2 or premium for the subwoofers.

·
Registered
14,416 Posts
I like the Sound Group 2, for $795, I think it's worth it and sounds pretty good. There's some complaints on the Harman Kardon although the two different 2015 systems I just sampled sounded good to me, I'm just not sure it's worth another $700 over SG2 plus you lose your your spare tire with the HK.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I too have heard complaints about the HK system, the consensus is that SGII is the best value so that's what I ordered.

Reactions: snwman

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
485 Posts
I really don't think the HK system is "bad", I have one, I do believe a lot of people expected more for their money though. I am satisfied because it's pretty much the same as any other top of the line audio system installed by a manufacturer, My luxury cars have sounded similar. None of them hold a candle to the systems I created, when I was younger, had access to professionals, and cared about getting the best sound in a car that I could. Today, I much prefer the exhaust sounds of my SRT to any stereo.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's sad that the premium sound system is getting such underwhelming reviews. I was hoping that it would rock the car. I had ordered the hk but may switch it to the sg2 before they build it. Or do I keep the premium and aftermarket if it does not impress.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I went with sound group II, I think it is a good system for the money!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
If thre are no mods in your plans then SGII. But the 276w Alpine system is the best value as a mod platform. I went with the latter, swapped the door/rear speakers for Alpine SPRs and JLs in the dash, Dayton 10" sub, added 2 Alpine amps and an Audiocontrol LCQ-1. With cabling and accessories I invested about $1000 ($300 more than SGII) and it will run circles around SGII in both output and SQ.

·
Registered
929 Posts
agreed. if you are not a do it yourself-er... just get the middle option and be happy.

A lot also depends on your listening tastes and budget. The $1500 you would spend on the HK ststem would be much better spent on $500 components, $500 5 channel amp and $500 subwoofer system... hell you could get some Audison voce av K6 6.5" components and it would kill the HK system.... depending on your choices, you could end up a few dollars over budget if you wish to add a DSP and fancy install.. but its a fantastic start!

If you dont want to go that route you could just get the stock middle stereo and just order some aftermarket speakers from crutchfield or whoever and you will be MILES off better in sound and price.

I got the HK system and i really dislike it.

If i end up trading my 15 srt for a 16 HC i will totally skip that option.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really wish my local had some challengers so I could hear the system but my local does not get them in often. I just think that if I get the upgraded hk then it would be financed and if I end up not liking it I have more speakers I could upgrade. I still have a few week to decide before it's made. Thanks for everyone's help and keep it coming.
Anyone up grade the hk system?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I really wish my local had some challengers so I could hear the system but my local does not get them in often. I just think that if I get the upgraded hk then it would be financed and if I end up not liking it I have more speakers I could upgrade. I still have a few week to decide before it's made. Thanks for everyone's help and keep it coming.
Anyone up grade the hk system?
I dont get buying highest level premium system with a backup plan to upgrade it. Honestly it sounds like you're justifying the cost by saying "you're financing it."

The whole idea of getting a premium system is to not have to upgrade it. No disrespect, but it's your $, your car.

That said, I have yet to hear a factory premium system that dollar for dollar even comes close to aftermarket.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see people talking here saying good and bad about the hk premium system.

I would hope for the best with any of the systems but I'm not hoping to upgrade.

I would prefer not to do aftermarket and enjoy the factor system, so that is why I am leaning towards the premium system so I won't have to do aftermarket.

What systems do you guys have?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I see people talking here saying good and bad about the hk premium system.

I would hope for the best with any of the systems but I'm not hoping to upgrade.

I would prefer not to do aftermarket and enjoy the factor system, so that is why I am leaning towards the premium system so I won't have to do aftermarket.

What systems do you guys have?
Fair enough. I've never heard the HK, but have read lots of people disappointed with it, some satisfied, none blown away. At the end of the day, it depends what you're looking for.

My system is modded Alpine 6 speaker 276w. See post 7 for more info

·
Registered
929 Posts
Anyone who would say the HK system is great has never heard a "great" system.

Its like saying if all you ever had were pan fried walmart flank steaks... they would take great to you and you would love them compared to your normal mac and cheese diet.

but then here comes some magician with a marinatedtenderloin and bastes it with butter over some charcoal and wood chips... and then you find out what something great can be like.

The HK system is fine... it gets the job done. But for the same $1500 you could have something MUCH tastier.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I've heard both the HK and SGII, and to me, the SGII sounds a little better, not so "hard" as the HK does. And you can improve the SGII a lot by simply changing the front dash speakers, as I did in my car. For a couple hundred bucks including labor, it's a very nice upgrade.

·
Registered
300 Posts
First off, let me say this is why I love this forum: someone already asked this question before I got a chance to! I just ordered my challenger today and I was leaning towards the HK audio group but decided to just go with the standard audio. But, after reading this... I am definitely going to back to my dealer tomorrow and add the SGII to my order!

I've heard both the HK and SGII, and to me, the SGII sounds a little better, not so "hard" as the HK does. And you can improve the SGII a lot by simply changing the front dash speakers, as I did in my car. For a couple hundred bucks including labor, it's a very nice upgrade.
Can I ask what are your upgraded speakers on the front dash?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I used these, obviously you need two pairs to get the three you need. You might read on car stereo websites that they don't fit. Unless they changed the size of the dash speakers after 2014, and I doubt they did, they drop right in.

http://www.abt.com/product/27881/JL-Audio-TR350CXI.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=sc&utm_campaign=TR350CXI&camptype=cpcGooglePLA&kwid=productads-plaid^169452969604-sku^27881-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^77416723924

Reactions: xHEMI

·
Registered
2015 SRT
291 Posts
I have the HK system because it's the only option on the SRT. I must say that I'm a little underwhelmed. It's not bad but I was expecting better for a 18 speaker system with 2 sub woofers in the trunk and I am not sure about the advertised 900 watts.

·
Registered
14,416 Posts
There is an Amplifier flash available for the HK, not to be confused with the UConnect flash. Must be brought to dealership to have this done but most report much better sound after the update.

·
Registered
2015 SRT
291 Posts
There is an Amplifier flash available for the HK, not to be confused with the UConnect flash. Must be brought to dealership to have this done but most report much better sound after the update.

Does this apply to the 2015 models?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts