Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im looking to upgrade my interior speakers inside and the head unit.. I went on crutchfield and there suggestions are confusing.. I am contemplating between the infinity kappas 6x9 and the kappas 6.5 for the rear.. I wanna know what you guys went with that didnt have much modicfication to put in and whats the best sizes that fit... I would appreciate all the help

·
Registered
495 Posts
So im looking to upgrade my interior speakers inside and the head unit.. I went on crutchfield and there suggestions are confusing.. I am contemplating between the infinity kappas 6x9 and the kappas 6.5 for the rear.. I wanna know what you guys went with that didnt have much modicfication to put in and whats the best sizes that fit... I would appreciate all the help
I had the RES in my old SE and have the RES in my 2010 R/T. I did this exact 4 speaker change on the SE and pitched the paper cone disasters that were stock. It makes a huge difference. I also put the 6 x 9 Infinity Kappas in the R/T doors and Polk audio in the rear deck. Frankly it sounds the same as the all infinity set up, but my hearing is not the best and anything beyond this change would likely be wasted on me, albeit a sub & separate amp might help.

You didn't indicate what radio you had so I don't know what features you are looking for. I installed Uconnect in both cars and that is sufficient for me. Getting digital control of my IPOD is what I really like.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have gift cards to BB and I want to get my 6x9 door speakers. However, when looking at 6x9's on the BB site, it says the 6x9 infinity kappas won't fit in fact, virtually ALL their 6x9's won't fit-strange...
EDIT: I just checked Crutchfield and it said they won't fit either...

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I have bought my speakers and amp, but won't be able to install them until the weather clears up (as in warms up).

I have a Pioneer AVH-P3200 head unit installed in the dash now:

As for speakers, I have a pair of 6.5" Pioneer TS-G1643R - Crutchfield says that they fit (except for that three mounting holes stock speaker vs four mounting holes for almost every aftermarker speaker made in the world), they were $40.00 for a pair at Wal-Mart, so I snapped them up.

I've ordered a pair of Alpine 6X9 SPR-69C from Amazon for less that $100 for the pair. I also have an Alpine MRP-F300 - Amplifier - V-Power - 4-channel on the way (brand new $125 via Amazon). I know this is a good amp because I have one in my Corvette.

I'm thinking about a place to mount the amp, but I'm most concerned about the rear speakers: It seems that nobody makes an adapter for the 4 screw-hole speakers to fit in a 3 screw-hole mounting area for the rear panel. So unless somebody can helpme with this adapter thing, I'm going to have to wait until I have the back deck apart and I can actually see what needs to be done make the Pioneer Speakers fit.

After this is done, then I'll start working on getting the cash for a subwoofer system. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Wicked, I don't know what your looking at on Crutchfield, but I just checked for my 2010 four speaker system that I previously replaced and get a big thumbs up for the door 6 x 9 Infinity Kappas?????????

There are rear deck speakers with adapters and wire harness kits that make the whole process a non event. As I said I put these in a 2009 and 2010.

I have gift cards to BB and I want to get my 6x9 door speakers. However, when looking at 6x9's on the BB site, it says the 6x9 infinity kappas won't fit in fact, virtually ALL their 6x9's won't fit-strange...
EDIT: I just checked Crutchfield and it said they won't fit either...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the RES in my old SE and have the RES in my 2010 R/T. I did this exact 4 speaker change on the SE and pitched the paper cone disasters that were stock. It makes a huge difference. I also put the 6 x 9 Infinity Kappas in the R/T doors and Polk audio in the rear deck. Frankly it sounds the same as the all infinity set up, but my hearing is not the best and anything beyond this change would likely be wasted on me, albeit a sub & separate amp might help.

You didn't indicate what radio you had so I don't know what features you are looking for. I installed Uconnect in both cars and that is sufficient for me. Getting digital control of my IPOD is what I really like.
Im leaning to the Alpine iXA-W407 made mostly for ipods i dont listen to cds or dvds so imma go with this unit for the price and for it being alpine you can not go wrong so you were able to fit 6.5s in the read and the infinity kappas 6x9 in the front with out any problems
i checked that link and it was real helpful i think imma just go with the infinitys they got them for a set for 174$ on ebay cant go wrong with that as well

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wicked, I don't know what your looking at on Crutchfield, but I just checked for my 2010 four speaker system that I previously replaced and get a big thumbs up for the door 6 x 9 Infinity Kappas?????????

There are rear deck speakers with adapters and wire harness kits that make the whole process a non event. As I said I put these in a 2009 and 2010.
which rear decks did you go with

·
Registered
495 Posts
which rear decks did you go with
Infinity on the 2009 and Polk Audio on the 2010. Crutchfield supplied a mounting adapter and wire harness adapter for each one.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Be careful buying things like this on eBay and even Amazon. Crutchfield is overpriced, but they're "official resellers" of Infinity, and Infinity will not honor their warranty unless you buy from an official reseller. This may or may not be a big deal to you, so I'm just putting it out there. Grey market stuff is rampant, and Infinity is likely not the only company that operates this way.

·
Registered
495 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Go with 6.5" speakers for the rear shelf. Just snag some adapters for them to fit the 3-hole Dodge configuration.

Scosche SAC656 $9.70
FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25

Amazon.com: Scosche SAC656 1995-up Neon 5.25/6.5-Inch Jeep Speaker Adapter - Pair: Electronics

If you purchase Infinity 6.5"s they come with adapters already in the box.

Most installers use the rear 6.5" speakers as FILL and typically amp the front door 6"x9"s and install 3.5" dash tweeters instead. So the rear fills don't really need to be expensive or high wattage since they can be driven off the head-unit.

For some really good deals on untouched/returned items: I snagged some Pioneer 6.5" TS-G1643R speakers (35 watts rms) for .99 cents w/ $9.99 shipping from Online Auctions at OverStock.com
https://auctions.overstock.com/
Also snagged some DXI 350's 3.5" Polks for .99 cents with $9.99 shipping as well - brand new untouched speakers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Go with 6.5" speakers for the rear shelf. Just snag some adapters for them to fit the 3-hole Dodge configuration.

Scosche SAC656 $9.70
FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25

Amazon.com: Scosche SAC656 1995-up Neon 5.25/6.5-Inch Jeep Speaker Adapter - Pair: Electronics

If you purchase Infinity 6.5"s they come with adapters already in the box.

Most installers use the rear 6.5" speakers as FILL and typically amp the front door 6"x9"s and install 3.5" dash tweeters instead. So the rear fills don't really need to be expensive or high wattage since they can be driven off the head-unit.

For some really good deals on untouched/returned items: I snagged some Pioneer 6.5" TS-G1643R speakers (35 watts rms) for .99 cents w/ $9.99 shipping from Online Auctions at OverStock.com
https://auctions.overstock.com/
Also snagged some DXI 350's 3.5" Polks for .99 cents with $9.99 shipping as well - brand new untouched speakers.
man .99 cents thats like a double stack from wendys lol you def cant go wrong with that at all.. i went on there i seen what they have and thats awesome and i was def going to go with some 3.5 instead of tweeters thanks for the info really appreciate it

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Where did some members place their aftermarket amps?

I'm interested in where different people place their amps. At this point I'm placing in Alpine BMP-F300 to drive 4 speakers (also after-market). After my income Tax refund, I'm going to place a subwoofer & another amp in the trunk of the car. I plan to use Alpine amps to drive everything and want to place them next to each other. Any ideas or already done that? Information with pictures wwill be very useful.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
A lot of retail/mainstream stuff is recommended here. You can get much better for your money. To the original question I have Imagine Dynamics X69 in the doors and Image Dynamics CD1 Pro Mini Horns under the dash. Lots of $$, but the SQ is something you don't see besides high end competitions.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Where did some members place their aftermarket amps?

I'm interested in where different people place their amps. At this point I'm placing in Alpine BMP-F300 to drive 4 speakers (also after-market). After my income Tax refund, I'm going to place a subwoofer & another amp in the trunk of the car. I plan to use Alpine amps to drive everything and want to place them next to each other. Any ideas or already done that? Information with pictures wwill be very useful.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I had the same question as well.

Some unbolt the passenger seat and cut the heating duct back and install one under the seat. I've see other's place one upside down (some amps allow this configuration) in the rear shelf over the 8" opening - hidden by the carpet around the rear 6.5"s. And I've seen those who use thin wood to support an amp on either side in the trunk near the rear quarter panels - between the rear wheel tub and tail light areas. Or in a pinch those without too much funding just bolt them onto the sub-woofer box.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this prolly has been my hardest choice to decide the speakers im leaning more towards the infinity kappas but im hearing good reviews about the polk audio i might just go with the infiinity 6x9 in the front and polk in the rear deck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Matrix,
I was thinking of doing the same thing you described and it is encouraging to hear you got a significant improvement.

Just to clarify, you changed speakers out but kept the RES head? Is the RES head sufficient to power the kappas? Also to clarify, you used the 6x9's in the door, the 6.5's in the rear, and left the dash speakers alone? Thanks so much

·
Registered
495 Posts
Matrix,
I was thinking of doing the same thing you described and it is encouraging to hear you got a significant improvement.

Just to clarify, you changed speakers out but kept the RES head? Is the RES head sufficient to power the kappas? Also to clarify, you used the 6x9's in the door, the 6.5's in the rear, and left the dash speakers alone? Thanks so much
Yes, I kept the RES head and have never exceeded 1/2 the volume or current in the output transistors of the RES head. It has sufficient power for the Kappas and rear deck. It is a four speaker system. The typical RES with SIRIUS satellite and a self installed U connect does not have dash speakers. I have done this upgrade on both Challengers that I have had with no problems.

Someone is welcome to jump in here, but If I remember correctly you needed a sound upgrade package to get six speakers and I believe they would have been Boston Acoustics and I am not sure what head came with that package.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts