Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Vendor
12,070 Posts
in race set up( remember this is road racing)

·
Vendor
12,070 Posts
the car started life as a 2011 R/T......;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oh my! It’s whining on idle, me likey!
I need to hurry up and start building my block and stick that awesome charger:)

Is Big Red ever going to get APR spoiler? What a monster!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yup. As for tunes I have been doing them myself but plan to take it in for a dyno tune in the spring. I tell you the 6.2 cam definitely woke the motor up...and a very inexpensive upgrade, just time consuming.
What else did you get with the cam? Lifters or pushrods? I’ve been looking at cams but now that you mention that combo that sounds nice

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,152 Posts
What else did you get with the cam? Lifters or pushrods? I’ve been looking at cams but now that you mention that combo that sounds nice
Since I have an M6 there was no need for non-MDS lifters as the 6.2 (it's a non-MDS motor) use the same lifters. However I did change the springs (no need to change keeper or add shims) and pushrods (were replaced before the cam swap to quiet down the valvetrain).

Springs - Mopar P5160074 kit (but purchasing the springs individually is much cheaper 68277306AA)
Pushrods - Comp cam 7929 & 7748

Here is my post of the swap with all my ramblings. In one of the posts I loaded the HP tuners tune I used as a starting point.

·
Vendor
12,070 Posts
Downforce Solutions.....

·
Vendor
12,070 Posts
we use the 6.2L Hc cam in nearly all our supercharged build, including Bigred

·
Registered
109 Posts
Since I have an M6 there was no need for non-MDS lifters as the 6.2 (it's a non-MDS motor) use the same lifters. However I did change the springs (no need to change keeper or add shims) and pushrods (were replaced before the cam swap to quiet down the valvetrain).

Springs - Mopar P5160074 kit (but purchasing the springs individually is much cheaper 68277306AA)
Pushrods - Comp cam 7929 & 7748

Here is my post of the swap with all my ramblings. In one of the posts I loaded the HP tuners tune I used as a starting point.
Just because inquiring minds want to know would you suggest that combo (Cam & Super Charger) for the A8 5.7 RT as well?

-Dogg

·
Vendor
12,070 Posts
the engine is a BGE block, Molnar crank, the best pistons and rods money can buy, stock Hellcat cylinder heads, unported, everything studded, stock HC oil pump and lifters, 6.2L stock Hellcat cam, 2650 Magnuson with only 16 degrees of timing on Ignite 114, 950 whps and 950ft/lbs, with increase timing and different pulley 1200/1300whps!!!!!!!!!!

its all about money, producing the best possible combination and get the most bang for the buck

if we were drag racing, we would have pushed the combo into the 1200hps range, however on a road course or autox we would never control tire spin, especially since by the rules we have to run 200 threadwear tires, we actually have 4 different tunes ready to load into the car, and a smaller pulley to bring us down in hps depending on the track and course we have to compete on:cool:

·
Vendor
12,070 Posts
the 6.2 cam will probably flatline above 1k whps

·
Vendor
12,070 Posts
and we are changing the suspension again and going very high in spring rates, Red will now beat you do death on the street

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,152 Posts
Just because inquiring minds want to know would you suggest that combo (Cam & Super Charger) for the A8 5.7 RT as well?

-Dogg
The 6.2 cam does not come in an MDS version so you would have to swap out the lifters for non-MDS (might not be completely necessary but would change the lifters) which means the heads need to come off. But taking the heads off makes it way easier to install headers and makes swapping the valve springs easier to do as well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The 6.2 cam does not come in an MDS version so you would have to swap out the lifters for non-MDS (might not be completely necessary but would change the lifters) which means the heads need to come off. But taking the heads off makes it way easier to install headers and makes swapping the valve springs easier to do as well.
Chally T from what you are saying if one was to make the 6.2 cam change then swapping lifters, installing headers and swapping valve springs at the same time would be wise? Does anyone know of a bundle package that covers all parts for said upgrade? I know many have made the mod so not trying to recreate the wheel...

-Dogg

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,152 Posts
Chally T from what you are saying if one was to make the 6.2 cam change then swapping lifters, installing headers and swapping valve springs at the same time would be wise? Does anyone know of a bundle package that covers all parts for said upgrade? I know many have made the mod so not trying to recreate the wheel...

-Dogg
Yup that is what I was saying. As for a kit or a bundle, I don't know of one off hand but I thought MMX had a gasket kit or you can just source what you need from Steve White parts using the CHA1 discount code. Luke should be able to help you with what you need as they also have the supercharger kits. That is where I bought my cam and springs from. I forgot to mention that the head bolts need to be replaced as they not supposed to be reused. Most guys go with ARP studs. In terms of gaskets all you need is the head, exhaust, water pump, timing chain cover and oil pump o-ring. No need for intake as the supercharger usually comes with it's own gaskets. If you are having a shop do the work the labor might be pricey as is time consuming.

·
Vendor
12,070 Posts
we have done it both ways, we have found it better not be locked, and tune for it
Red is not locked or restricted

41 - 60 of 61 Posts