Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack 6.4 WK
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a tire for the below situation driving a Scat Pack:

Pretend I'm sitting at a red light and find myself in the wrong lane. I need to jump out in front of traffic quickly to make a turn so I don't have to fight with said traffic (in SF people are A-hats, will tailgate in a line and not let you change lanes). It's 65-70 degrees out and dry. What tire will yield the best traction for getting off the line and out in front of traffic, and, will they make a huge difference compared to the other tires listed? (which tire on the rear will grip better on the street?)
  • 275/40R20 UHP tires (brand generalized, that's a whole other convo.)
  • 275/40R20 DRs (I have been looking at the Nitto NT05 or NT05R on stock wheels)
  • 315/35R20 UHP tires (would need new wheels and possibly a spacer and fender flares, another convo. to be had.)
  • 305/45R18 DRs (would need new wheels)
I want to change out my current tire and wheel setup and am hoping to get some input from people who have run DRs and different size tires/wheel on the street, how do they grip compared to street tires when not heated by a burn out, 65-70 degrees & dry. Is there a significant difference in traction on the street going to a DR and/or going to an 18" wheel? I know it helps on the track but what about on the street with under 500hp?

I know these tire Question have been asked many times but I'm asking about this specific situation above. I'm hoping to get answers from people who have run these different setups on the same car.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one has any input? I know someone has to have some knowledge with different sizes and types of performance tires.

Think I'm going with a set of 275 DRs. Probably the Nitto's on the stock wheels.

I got a set of G-force Com-2 A/S a little while back in 275/40R20 and while they are way better than the stock tires I'm still not happy. I just put them on the rear, keeping the stock 245s on the front for faster steering response and lower rolling resistance.

I would imagine there are other UHP tires that grip better but I would bet marginally, probably not noticeable enough to change from the Comp-2's. While going to a wider UHP tire would help also I'm better even without a warmup burnout the DRs will grip better than any UHP tire.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
179 Posts
I spent 3.5 years in the Bay Area kinda recently and with that traffic, I don't think you need some ultra grip tire just to get out from a stop light ahead of the next guy. Rarely can you open it up there lol. Traffic is awful. But who am I to say.

I have 275/40/20 on my rear as well. They are Nitto but they are the Motivo, not the ones you mentioned and for what you are discribing they work good. Not sure how you drive but the Motivos have been just fine for me.

When I need to replace them, I think maybe I am going to get some BFGoodrich g-force comp sport comp2. Depends when the time comes but it's what I've narrowed a couple down to when researching. It's those, Toyo Extensa HP II or The Motivos again.
Not sure if the BFGs are the same as you mentioned or the other G force comp 2 that have a different tread pattern. But the ones I mentioned are a UHP tire.

However, as for grip, some here really like the Continental extreme contact sport tires.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Get some new 10.5 wheels for the rear and some 315/35 uhp summer tires, or some street drag radials of that's what you want. Have a set of 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch spacers ready on hand in case you need them when you get the wheels put on. My rear wheels are 10.5"x20 with a 25 offset, and 315/35 nitto invos and I used 1/4" spacers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have decided that Drag Radials are not a good fit for my needs. It's cold to much of the year and the weather can be unpredictable.

Im going to either get new rims with 10.5"x20 on the back or widen the rear WTRs, and then put a 315/35R20 on the back.

After finding a few posts of other people doing 315s on the back of their Scat Packs, that's the only setup that doesn't have mixed reviews. With DRs, some people say they are great, others say they get hard as hockey pucks if it's a little cold out, some say they melt off in hot weather, some say they stick without a burn out and others say they won't hook without a good warm up, others say they pick up every rock and pebble off the street. But every person who I can find that did the 315 with a street tire says they get great traction in most conditions, the only hangup is needing to do a little remolding of the inner wheel well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think if someone made a reproduction of the WRT Scat Pack wheel and made it 10.5" wide with a 25mm offset and sold them in pairs they would have a ton of sales.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts