Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm currently saving up to buy a challenger. However I'm stuck when it comes to what trim I want. I know for a fact I don't want any of the v6s, the demon, or hellcat. So I just wanted to know what you guys think would be the best pick? I will also be creating the car So what extra options should I get if any? What can I expect for maintain costs per year? I'm not worried about insurance because for some reason a scat pack cost more to insure than the hellcat for me. I currently make 50k a year before taxes. I will be putting down between 15-20k for the car.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. ?

·
Registered
978 Posts
The scat pack is generally considered the sweet spot in the lineup if you’re interested in the 392 engine. It can be had in the low-mid 30s if you don’t add options. You’ll probably be getting into the low 40s if you want the leather/alcantara seats, GPS, sunroof, premium stereo, etc.

If you’re more of a bells and whistles person than a pure horsepower addict, the R/T Plus is probably a good starting point. It has the 5.7L so less powerful than the 392, but comes standard with leather and other niceties. You’re not going to end up saving a lot of money over a Scat, just trading standard features for a bigger engine.

Conventional wisdom is spending anywhere near your annual income on a car isn’t well advised. You’re the only one who knows your own financial situation, but you may want to consider the R/T or even v6 SXT for a cheaper price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
You can put nearly $10k in options on some trims, so it can vary a bit.

You can load up a 5.7L and make it more expensive than 6.4L, so it depends on if you want more power or more toys.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
775 Posts
Three words...ESSSS...Arrrr...Tea...

Reactions: Klink

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The scat pack is generally considered the sweet spot in the lineup if you’re interested in the 392 engine. It can be had in the low-mid 30s if you don’t add options. You’ll probably be getting into the low 40s if you want the leather/alcantara seats, GPS, sunroof, premium stereo, etc.

If you’re more of a bells and whistles person than a pure horsepower addict, the R/T Plus is probably a good starting point. It has the 5.7L so less powerful than the 392, but comes standard with leather and other niceties. You’re not going to end up saving a lot of money over a Scat, just trading standard features for a bigger engine.

Conventional wisdom is spending anywhere near your annual income on a car isn’t well advised. You’re the only one who knows your own financial situation, but you may want to consider the R/T or even v6 SXT for a cheaper price point.

You can put nearly $10k in options on some trims, so it can vary a bit.

You can load up a 5.7L and make it more expensive than 6.4L, so it depends on if you want more power or more toys.

I personally don't have a problem with just getting an STX however I've seen so much hate for people who drive v6 instead of v8. I live in a city in Virginia so I won't be trying to like reach 100 plus. Especially when it almost gridlocked traffic most of the time. But I guess I why I really wanted the higher trims was just to stand out from the others. You I see plenty of SEs, STX, and RTs but Ive never seen a T/A or scat pack.

·
Registered
70 Posts
FWIW... I went SRT as i wanted the suspension and sepia leather. Brass monkey wheels as well.

Considering the TA on the lot came out to more than an ordered SRT it was a no brainer.

Plus. ..if it matters. .. only 150 or so SRTs come to Canada a year. 500 hcs and 1000 scats/tas show up.

An f8 green srt with sepia and brass with a stick likely won't be seen being driven by anyone but me

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
Generally speaking you shouldn't spend what you earn in one year on a car, but I'm not going to lecture you on that. With that said with 20k down on a 40k car your looking at a 20k note at about 300 a month for 5 years assuming you have good credit as in above a 700 or better. I also would advise you buy a car that you like and not necessarily to make others happy, eventually youll regret your decision and probably regret it financially.

SXT well these v6 muscle cars are pretty snappy your talking over 300 hp for any of the major three brands that have sports cars. RT is also great but a loaded out RT can cost at much as a low to mid level scat pack. You also have SRT but your talking a 50k car, nothing wrong with an SRT but the insertion of the scat pack it kind of puts that package in no mans land, and sales figures prove that. A base scat will run you less 40k out the door with tax. Add leather, gps, appearance package and all that you can easily get into the mid 40s to upper 40s with a scat. My scat with leather, appearance package, and wheels, was 42 out the door with taxes.

As far as maint you will have a three year warranty so you should be just looking at 2-3 oil changes across all the engines per year. Tires go quick on these cars, and wouldn't expect to last more than 2-3 years depending on driving habits.

All up to you. I wouldn't advise on a 40k car with a 50k income. so maybe the sxt or low optioned RT is the way to go. Maybe even leasing is a good option to get your feet wet. Lots of financial decisions I would be thinking about before dropping big coin on performance car, do I have a house, am I saving 10% for retirement, do I have a 6 month reserve fund for emergencies?

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
T/A is more of an appearance package. You could easily buy an SXT or R/T and have it wrapped like a T/A for ~$600 or so.

Modern SXT is faster than old muscle was. 2017 and up R/Ts sounds amazing with the new active exhaust, and will put a dumb grin on your face whenever you start it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FWIW... I went SRT as i wanted the suspension and sepia leather. Brass monkey wheels as well.

Considering the TA on the lot came out to more than an ordered SRT it was a no brainer.

Plus. ..if it matters. .. only 150 or so SRTs come to Canada a year. 500 hcs and 1000 scats/tas show up.

An f8 green srt with sepia and brass with a stick likely won't be seen being driven by anyone but me

I know for a fact which ever one I pick will be either purple or green.

·
Registered
188 Posts
...You’re the only one who knows your own financial situation, but you may want to consider the R/T or even v6 SXT for a cheaper price point...
I have a Hellcat and a STX and I love my STX.

smallchally(1).jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So from what I'm seeing I should just go with a STX or R/T but then if that's the case. Why do people get so much flack for driving a v6 challanger instead of a v8?

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
So from what I'm seeing I should just go with a STX or R/T but then if that's the case. Why do people get so much flack for driving a v6 challanger instead of a v8?

Same reason people get crap for driving automatic instead of manual, either they're pulling your leg for a laugh or they're absolute snobs that need to be disregarded.

With $10-20k down, an R/T is perfectly reasonable and your monthly payments won't be very high. I would just worry about getting a good price and doing your research.

·
Registered
188 Posts
...Why do people get so much flack for driving a v6 challanger instead of a v8?...
It's just a thing, I guess. At the dragstrip I had a couple of old guys come up to me and say their 70s Challenger with a V8 wasn't as fast as my bone stock V-6 was. If it's going to bug you, get the 5.7. I have the luxury of saying: "If you want to race, I'll go get my other car." That shuts them up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Generally speaking you shouldn't spend what you earn in one year on a car, but I'm not going to lecture you on that. With that said with 20k down on a 40k car your looking at a 20k note at about 300 a month for 5 years assuming you have good credit as in above a 700 or better. I also would advise you buy a car that you like and not necessarily to make others happy, eventually youll regret your decision and probably regret it financially.

SXT well these v6 muscle cars are pretty snappy your talking over 300 hp for any of the major three brands that have sports cars. RT is also great but a loaded out RT can cost at much as a low to mid level scat pack. You also have SRT but your talking a 50k car, nothing wrong with an SRT but the insertion of the scat pack it kind of puts that package in no mans land, and sales figures prove that. A base scat will run you less 40k out the door with tax. Add leather, gps, appearance package and all that you can easily get into the mid 40s to upper 40s with a scat. My scat with leather, appearance package, and wheels, was 42 out the door with taxes.

As far as maint you will have a three year warranty so you should be just looking at 2-3 oil changes across all the engines per year. Tires go quick on these cars, and wouldn't expect to last more than 2-3 years depending on driving habits.

All up to you. I wouldn't advise on a 40k car with a 50k income. so maybe the sxt or low optioned RT is the way to go. Maybe even leasing is a good option to get your feet wet. Lots of financial decisions I would be thinking about before dropping big coin on performance car, do I have a house, am I saving 10% for retirement, do I have a 6 month reserve fund for emergencies?

From reading this you remind me of Dave ramsay without the yelling lol. But I have the emergency fund. I'm working on my credit now it's in the mid 600. I asked about the maintenance because I've seen some people who spent a lot on maintain for their challanger. Do you think I'd be better of get a used one? With low miles or just go new without the customization?

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
From reading this you remind me of Dave ramsay without the yelling lol. But I have the emergency fund. I'm working on my credit now it's in the mid 600. I asked about the maintenance because I've seen some people who spent a lot on maintain for their challanger. Do you think I'd be better of get a used one? With low miles or just go new without the customization?

On a new car there shouldn't be any maint cost unless you crash it. You'll have to do oil changes, but in the first three years everything is covered, I don't see what people should be working on. Paint colors can always set you apart, vinyl wraps and decals is another cheap option to look different. Challenger in general is rated pretty well in terms of break fix maint. I don't know what you should do, still pretty broad in describing what you want. IMVHO and not being jerk, with that credit which isn't horrible but isn't good, and making 50k a year Id be looking for a car probably in the 15-20k range, maybe put a little down, pocket the rest and have a very manageable payment per month. End of the day the SXT is going to be the cheapest to buy, run and maintain, the RT and the scat pack/SRT will be about the same, and cost more all around than the SXT. Substantially more no, but it will cost more.

I think you really need to put an amount you want to spend then we can better assist, just realize at a 600 though your rates are probably going to be in the high single digit range to maybe teens. If I were you I would google loan calculator and put 10% in the for interest rate and calculate different amounts and see what you are lookin at. I have good credit and 20k would cost me 3-350 a month somebody with a 600 is going to pay 10 % or higher which puts them closer to 500. So I like said maybe narrow down what you want spend total, rethink your money down which by the way is a good idea, and come up with some final numbers and maybe list out options you must have and ones you don't care about.

Used cars can be a great option but usually they don't offer any sort of real cost savings until you get one that's at least 2 years old and probably closer to 4 or 5 years. So it depends. You could find some very lightly used car that is 3 years old and get a great deal on it. heck my 15 scat is three years old with only 8k miles on it, just because it has low miles its not like its worth tha tmuch more than a car with 30k on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
On a new car there shouldn't be any maint cost unless you crash it. You'll have to do oil changes, but in the first three years everything is covered, I don't see what people should be working on. Paint colors can always set you apart, vinyl wraps and decals is another cheap option to look different. Challenger in general is rated pretty well in terms of break fix maint. I don't know what you should do, still pretty broad in describing what you want. IMVHO and not being jerk, with that credit which isn't horrible but isn't good, and making 50k a year Id be looking for a car probably in the 15-20k range, maybe put a little down, pocket the rest and have a very manageable payment per month. End of the day the SXT is going to be the cheapest to buy, run and maintain, the RT and the scat pack/SRT will be about the same, and cost more all around than the SXT. Substantially more no, but it will cost more.

I think you really need to put an amount you want to spend then we can better assist, just realize at a 600 though your rates are probably going to be in the high single digit range to maybe teens. If I were you I would google loan calculator and put 10% in the for interest rate and calculate different amounts and see what you are lookin at. I have good credit and 20k would cost me 3-350 a month somebody with a 600 is going to pay 10 % or higher which puts them closer to 500. So I like said maybe narrow down what you want spend total, rethink your money down which by the way is a good idea, and come up with some final numbers and maybe list out options you must have and ones you don't care about.

Used cars can be a great option but usually they don't offer any sort of real cost savings until you get one that's at least 2 years old and probably closer to 4 or 5 years. So it depends. You could find some very lightly used car that is 3 years old and get a great deal on it. heck my 15 scat is three years old with only 8k miles on it, just because it has low miles its not like its worth tha tmuch more than a car with 30k on it.

So I just built a GT how I wanted it. Then I went to a online calculator. The total purchase price was 37,935. The average intrest rate they gave me for someone with my credit was 9.78. So with a down payment of 15,000 it came out to 518 a month for a 60month term add my insurance 250 brings it to 768 a month.

I didn't include rebates seeing that they could be different at the time I try and buy the car.

Is that good?

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Try a credit union. I had ~600 and only a year of credit history and I got 2.5% on a $30k loan for 60 months.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As others have noted, your current credit score is going to hit you financially with the loan. It can also affect your insurance rate.

Get a (free) CreditKarma.com account and see what it would take to improve your credit score. They can really drill down with specific suggestions, and the check it every month to monitor your progress. Depending on other financial details, it may make more sense to improve your credit to debt ratio, rather than making a large down payment.

If you're current ride is reliable, you might consider holding out until your score moves into the Good to Excellent range.

Edit-
Just noticed the title of this thread is "What trim to pick?"

I really like my R/T with a Track Pak, MT and sunroof. :grin2:

·
Registered
17 Posts
As others have noted, your current credit score is going to hit you financially with the loan. It can also affect your insurance rate.

Get a (free) CreditKarma.com account and see what it would take to improve your credit score. They can really drill down with specific suggestions, and the check it every month to monitor your progress. Depending on other financial details, it may make more sense to improve your credit to debt ratio, rather than making a large down payment.

If you're current ride is reliable, you might consider holding out until your score moves into the Good to Excellent range.
I can't agree more. Get a creditkarma account to see where you can improve. I've been in the US for only a year and my credit score is in the mid 700s. The credit score is a game, you have to follow the rules as closely as you can and it's incredible how quickly things can change.

Having said that, the question to ask yourself is what are you looking for in a car.
Look at "A Guy"'s car, it's one of the best looking cars on the forum. Who cares what's under the hood.

Reactions: A Guy
1 - 20 of 28 Posts