Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Good Lord blessed me with a 2914 SRT (base). I am very happy and for some reason it is faster then my friends loaded 392ss.

What tuner do I get?

·
Registered
92 Posts
First whats a 392ss?? Never heard of that

Second get a custom dyno tune, find a performance shop around you that has a tuner that can do 392's. They cost the same and in some cases cheaper than a hand held tuner. You will gain more hp out of it, most tuners don't give you much hp, it feels like it cause it turns the torque management off. The best bang is a custom.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Typos, 2013 base. I and I bear my friends 392's.

The reason I want a hand held is because I purchased a 100K warranty and I would like to turn it off if I had to.

My car is stick ad from some of the reading I've done, the tuners don't help much with stick cars.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Typos, 2013 base. I and I bear my friends 392's.

The reason I want a hand held is because I purchased a 100K warranty and I would like to turn it off if I had to.

My car is stick ad from some of the reading I've done, the tuners don't help much with stick cars.
From what I've read here, the dealer can tell how many times the computer has been flashed so even if you turn it back to stock settings they know it's been changed.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
From what I've read here, the dealer can tell how many times the computer has been flashed so even if you turn it back to stock settings they know it's been changed.
Sure they might be able to tell but they do not know how it was flashed it could have been by a different dealer or any other auto shop that alone is not a reason for them to do anything.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
First whats a 392ss?? Never heard of that

Second get a custom dyno tune, find a performance shop around you that has a tuner that can do 392's. They cost the same and in some cases cheaper than a hand held tuner. You will gain more hp out of it, most tuners don't give you much hp, it feels like it cause it turns the torque management off. The best bang is a custom.
Even if you get a dyno tune you will still need to by a hand held there is no live tuning on the modern hemi's

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
As for FLASH attempt recording counts in the PCM data I do not believe the car lines are doing that yet, I will check mine tomorrow.

What I do know is the Dodge trucks with the 6.7 Cummings do, but then again its just a flash count and not what or who did it. That information was added by Chrysler at the request by Cummings. So if its a newer truck with 12k on it and they see say 20 or more flash attempts when there are a total of 4 actual flashes available from the Dealer, if they suspect anything it may cause them to look further. This was added due to the high cost's for repairs on diesels, Cummings wants EVERYTHING back when replaced.

I would not worry to much about it.

BTW- Posted by a Dealer ;)

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
FLASH
Just an FYI on this and update:

The flash counts are only viewable through Chrysler software from either a Tech Rep or Engineering, not through the Daig software used day to day at the dealer.
Have seen "break-out" software used by our Tech Rep and you can see every module in the car along with all flashes and attempts related to each module, so YES they can if the really want too, but in day to day NO.

That being said do not know if they would see the tuner flash attempts, I would think not.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will a hand held tuner work on my stick? Will I see the same gains like the automatic guys?

Do they make downloadable custom tunes that I can put into the programmer? I remember doing that with my F250 truck.

I remember when I had my 06 300CSRT the tuner really woke the beast up.

·
Vendor
12,389 Posts
Not true they can not tell. Must have been a dealer who posted that.
keep telling yourself that, if we want to know, we can, Chrysler isnt stupid, the hardest ones are the diesel, we normally figure it out with fuel economy and hours of running
Luke

·
Vendor
12,389 Posts
by the way Chrysler see's whatever we see, when ever we connect with witech, and soon with wiadvisor
Luke

·
Vendor
12,389 Posts
the best hand held tuner for gen hemi's is the trinity, but the feel of pants really isnt there on a 6 speed, you feel really not much difference, will feel much better on the auto's

the best tuning is custom tuning, but thats not readily available to everybody,

Luke

Reactions: Flat Top

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Luke. I didn't think the tuner would work so much with my stick.

·
Registered
33 Posts
the best hand held tuner for gen hemi's is the trinity, but the feel of pants really isnt there on a 6 speed, you feel really not much difference, will feel much better on the auto's

the best tuning is custom tuning, but thats not readily available to everybody,

Luke
Luke, in light of the fact that both a dealer and Chrysler/Dodge would be aware of my using a tuner, do you have a general recommendation for or against using one as it relates to warranties and so forth? I recently purchased my SRT8 (auto) and am contemplating purchasing the "lifetime" warranty, but the fact that the dealer/mfr would know I've been using a tuner concerns me. Real concern, or no big deal? :nono:

Also, is adding a tuner going to make a significant seat of the pants feel on a (so far) stock SRT8? I'm guessing a custom tune would be something of a waste (or at least overkill) on a stock car. I'm considering the Diablo inTune DCX rather than the Trinity as I don't see the personal need for the gauges and "race mode" available on the Trinty. Otherwise, the inTune can do anything the Trinity can, correct?

TIA

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
keep telling yourself that, if we want to know, we can, Chrysler isnt stupid, the hardest ones are the diesel, we normally figure it out with fuel economy and hours of running
Luke
Sorry Luke I respect you but there is no way to tell that the car had a tune. I know if you remove a tune and put it back to stock and go to the dealer before the computer relearns every thing they will know some thing was done but not what. May have been an oil change may have been a reflash of the computer they don't know. I work for a Chrysler dealer so I know this for sure. We only know if the customer says something or they leave the tune in or bring it in after putting it back to stock and have not driven it far enough to reset the computer. Then we will ask and act like we know it had a tune hoping to get the customer to admit to it. The computer dose not store any information on what it was set for before the current flash. I have tried it with my 06 no way for Chrysler to know it was tuned if the tune is not in the car when you bring it in. Sorry to disagree with you.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Luke, in light of the fact that both a dealer and Chrysler/Dodge would be aware of my using a tuner, do you have a general recommendation for or against using one as it relates to warranties and so forth? I recently purchased my SRT8 (auto) and am contemplating purchasing the "lifetime" warranty, but the fact that the dealer/mfr would know I've been using a tuner concerns me. Real concern, or no big deal? :nono:

Also, is adding a tuner going to make a significant seat of the pants feel on a (so far) stock SRT8? I'm guessing a custom tune would be something of a waste (or at least overkill) on a stock car. I'm considering the Diablo inTune DCX rather than the Trinity as I don't see the personal need for the gauges and "race mode" available on the Trinty. Otherwise, the inTune can do anything the Trinity can, correct?

TIA
It's hard to tell the difference with a tune on any manual vehicle in my opinion. Because of the consistency in an auto a tune is extremely noticeable. The trinity does the same tuning as the in tune, just has more gauges which we already have on our cars.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Sorry Luke I respect you but there is no way to tell that the car had a tune. I know if you remove a tune and put it back to stock and go to the dealer before the computer relearns every thing they will know some thing was done but not what. May have been an oil change may have been a reflash of the computer they don't know. I work for a Chrysler dealer so I know this for sure. We only know if the customer says something or they leave the tune in or bring it in after putting it back to stock and have not driven it far enough to reset the computer. Then we will ask and act like we know it had a tune hoping to get the customer to admit to it. The computer dose not store any information on what it was set for before the current flash. I have tried it with my 06 no way for Chrysler to know it was tuned if the tune is not in the car when you bring it in. Sorry to disagree with you.
For the most part you are correct, Witech does not show anything about "flash counts" on any of the modules, even ran module reports through the monitors on mine and nothing, nada.

However I have worked on a couple "problem" child's with our regional Tech Rep and he has a personal lap top and software that is completely different then we use or see at the Dealership. When I mean different it looks NOTHING like what we use, it showed everything with every module in the car, the original flash # and all flashes done and attempted on each, from the PCM to the WCM. Also he was able to custom tune or adjust every sensor via the software, now I usually am very busy so I have never really prodded him about the software or asked him relating to "after-market" tuning software, but you can bet the next time I see him I WILL ;)

So when Steve say's if they want to they can, there may be some truth to that, but on day to day routine stuff, no.
Sorry to the OP if I am highjackin the post, just want to set the record straight.

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
For the most part you are correct, Witech does not show anything about "flash counts" on any of the modules, even ran module reports through the monitors on mine and nothing, nada.

However I have worked on a couple "problem" child's with our regional Tech Rep and he has a personal lap top and software that is completely different then we use or see at the Dealership. When I mean different it looks NOTHING like what we use, it showed everything with every module in the car, the original flash # and all flashes done and attempted on each, from the PCM to the WCM. Also he was able to custom tune or adjust every sensor via the software, now I usually am very busy so I have never really prodded him about the software or asked him relating to "after-market" tuning software, but you can bet the next time I see him I WILL ;)

So when Steve say's if they want to they can, there may be some truth to that, but on day to day routine stuff, no.
Sorry to the OP if I am highjackin the post, just want to set the record straight.
Hey, ahhh next time your near that Boss PC. Throw in a disc and burn me a copy would ya. Id really appreacate that. Really. Then I wouldnt have to buy the CMR from Diablo. Hehehe\
FlatTop

1 - 20 of 24 Posts