Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i've decided my first mod on my 2011 Challenger SE 3.6L is going to be a Tuner. The DiabloSport Trinity seems to be the popular one on these forums, but I'd like to hear your recommendations directly on my challenger.

My primary concern is not getting in over my head, but I have some plans for air intake, exhaust, and other modifications and I want to know that I can get in and make the requisite adjustments after adding each item without having to pay for someone to write me a custom tune each time.. I'm concerned that I've read this is NOT the case with the DiabloSport. Money isn't the issue, flexibility and ease of use is. I'm new to tuning so simple is important, but i'm an IT pro and know my way around programming if I know what it is i'm doing.

.... So, what do ya'll think, what should i get?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
if you can get a trinity go for it. otherwise the intune will be fine.. for 90% of the stuff the intune is fine and 200 cheaper.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Champ - what does the trinity offer that the intune doesn't? I might have messed up when I was looking at it but I didn't see dodge as a selection for the intune.

on the trinity, if lets say I pickup a new suspension, or exhaust, CAI or any number of other parts, can I go into the tuner and make the changes I need to myself or do I need to pay someone to draw up a custom tune for me? - thats the question at the heart of my decision. I'm throwing the purchase on a rewards card and not buying anything else for the car until it's paid off, so that 200 difference it's THAT big a concern for me, i just want to make sure I end up with what I need

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
Thanks, Champ - what does the trinity offer that the intune doesn't? I might have messed up when I was looking at it but I didn't see dodge as a selection for the intune.

on the trinity, if lets say I pickup a new suspension, or exhaust, CAI or any number of other parts, can I go into the tuner and make the changes I need to myself or do I need to pay someone to draw up a custom tune for me? - thats the question at the heart of my decision. I'm throwing the purchase on a rewards card and not buying anything else for the car until it's paid off, so that 200 difference it's THAT big a concern for me, i just want to make sure I end up with what I need
The trinity has more memory for data logging and maybe some other things. I have it for that reason (longer data logs).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
very useful, Brandy - how about the bit about needing custom tunes when I add a new mod, or can I do those myself.. thats the real question here

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
the trinity has more memory and you can view more things on the screen for logging.

the intune works fine also i have that one acually right now..

you can do custom tunes on either one. you can tune ( canned tunes preloaded on both ) for either one.

if you don't plan on a supercharger, heads and cam ect.. the intune will do you just fine and save you a couple hundred dollars.

if you think you are down the road.. just buy the trinity now.

·
Banned
697 Posts
Diablosport all the way! There really is not any other tuning for Mopar that I would recommend. Remember to contact us for a great Challengertalk deal!

·
Registered
209 Posts
So if your planning to go with a super charger go with the trinity ? Getting ready to order my tuner and a super charger will come later.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
yep get a trinity and be done with it

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
very useful, Brandy - how about the bit about needing custom tunes when I add a new mod, or can I do those myself.. thats the real question here
No, you cannot build your own custom tunes. That is done with CMR software (Such as CMR) and this is what people use to provide custom tunes based on mods and datalogs.

A number of people providing custom tunes also provide discounts for future tunes after you've done mods, so it's not like you have to spend $150 for a new tune every time you make a change.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not trying to thread jack, but would it be worth getting a custom tune from say Johan or hemi fever? Or is it not worth while? Reason being speedlogix will price match which gives you the pre loaded tunes. Hemi fever does not price match, but gives you their custom tune. Going with speedlogix might give you about $100 in savings if the hemi fever or custom tune is not worth it.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Not trying to thread jack, but would it be worth getting a custom tune from say Johan or hemi fever? Or is it not worth while? Reason being speedlogix will price match which gives you the pre loaded tunes. Hemi fever does not price match, but gives you their custom tune. Going with speedlogix might give you about $100 in savings if the hemi fever or custom tune is not worth it.

every programmer no matter where it comes from all have preloaded tunes. and a custom tune is worth it.. more power, reduced torque management ect. so if you get a programmer from HEMIFEVER it will have all the preloaded tunes and also have his custom tunes.. that is part of his package

the only decision you need to make is who do you want to get the custom tune from

·
Registered
74 Posts
every programmer no matter where it comes from all have preloaded tunes. and a custom tune is worth it.. more power, reduced torque management ect. so if you get a programmer from HEMIFEVER it will have all the preloaded tunes and also have his custom tunes.. that is part of his package

the only decision you need to make is who do you want to get the custom tune from

Thanks champ,

I see you have a custom tune done by johan. Did you notice a significant increase or difference between the pre loaded and his? Also as far a pricing goes, reliability, support etc how is it?

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Thanks champ,

I see you have a custom tune done by johan. Did you notice a significant increase or difference between the pre loaded and his? Also as far a pricing goes, reliability, support etc how is it?
I too have a custom tune from Johan and I'm sure Chris will agree with me that there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between the canned tunes and a custom tunes. The canned tunes tend to run too rich and still have some % of torque management with them. The custom tune will be perfectly balanced to YOUR car with YOUR mods. When I drove my car with Johan's custom tune it felt like a new vehicle. Much more natural power delivery and NO torque management which means better driveability and better throttle response.

I would go with him, as he is the lead tuner for Diablo. Hemifever is also a good option. Either one you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
yes before i put the supercharger on i had johan do the tune on my stock set up.. NIGHT AND DAY difference.. well worth the time and money pricing he works off donations.. NO ONE SET PRICE.. if it takes long i just payed him more.. kinda how it works.. plan on 150 - 300 bucks i guess depending on what happens.

reliability.. NO ISSUES.. start and drive.. honestly it will ( was ) probably going to be more reliable than this blower i put on LOL!!

chris

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for all the input, really appreciate the feedback. Do you guys have the contact information for johan? Maybe I can get in contact with him?

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Locked Tunes?

Nevermind.... Found my answer in another thread.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's amazing how before I bought it I had several people say "yes, you can do custom tunes" and then magically, right after I purchased my trinity as if the internet knew the jig was up, these comments started popping up saying "nope, you still have to pay for custom tunes".. I really wish I would have known this, I would have gone with a significantly cheaper tuner and used that money for the custom tune.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's amazing how before I bought it I had several people say "yes, you can do custom tunes" and then magically, right after I purchased my trinity as if the internet knew the jig was up, these comments started popping up saying "nope, you still have to pay for custom tunes".. I really wish I would have known this, I would have gone with a significantly cheaper tuner and used that money for the custom tune.

That's what I'm struggling as far as decision wise? Cheaper tuner custom tune? Better tuner pre loaded tune? The trinity does have several advantages or the intune, so I guess you have an advantage there. And as far as a custom tune if you have basic bolt ons idk if the custom tune would benefit you or I over the pre loaded.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts