Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know which wheel weighs more? i'm really considering finding a set of the heritage wheels to throw on mine as i'm liking the looks more and more, however if they are heavier, i will hold off and look for aftermarket rims down the road.

thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
does anyone know which wheel weighs more? i'm really considering finding a set of the heritage wheels to throw on mine as i'm liking the looks more and more, however if they are heavier, i will hold off and look for aftermarket rims down the road.

thanks.
I weighed one of my 20" Chrome Clad wheels the other week. 56/57 lbs! don't know about the Heritages but would like to know also.

FYI,
Marion

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I weighed one of my 20" Chrome Clad wheels the other week. 56/57 lbs! don't know about the Heritages but would like to know also.

FYI,
Marion

wow! i take it that was with the tire installed? ...i would hope so!

Reactions: Milkdudd

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I really don't think a few pounds either way will affect anything, unless you are drag racing and looking for that one-hundredth of a second.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really don't think a few pounds either way will affect anything, unless you are drag racing and looking for that one-hundredth of a second.
actually, the wheels are one of the best areas to look to reduce weight for drag racing, which i intend on doing more of this summer.:)

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
I'd like to know the answer to this question as well. I really don't feel like jacking the car up right now to weigh them..but I'm off work and might get bored enough to do it lol.

I do know that my drag radial combo weighed in at 52.5lbs (30lb tire and 22.5lbs rim). Now that I just (a few hours ago) sold my drag rims, I'll be getting some weld racing rims on all corners. The skinnies I'm getting should weigh around 25lbs for the rim and tire. So 60+lbs of unsprung weight gone bye bye all together..hope it'll net me a tenth!

In the mean time..someone go look up what the RSAs weight while I pull one to weigh it. Then we will subtract the tire weight to get a good estimate

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Just took one off real quick and it weighed in at 61.5lbs. These are Heritage rims with 245/45/20 RSAs

Not quite sure how accurate my scale is though. The scale shows 30lbs for my MT ET drag radials, while MTs website says they way 28lbs..pretty close I guess

Reactions: Litos

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I think the r/t clad wheels are cast with cladding whereas the classic wheels are forged. Since forging increases strength, I would bet the classic wheels can meet the strength specs with less weight.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks chris for the info! you are once again, very helpful :) what rim were you running with your drag radial combo?

noz34me..it looks like the chrome clads may be 3-4 lbs lighter if we go by what tracpac2010 weighed his in at vs chris' numbers minus 2 or so lbs to make up for chris' scale.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
No problem! I was running 17x9" Torque Thrust M's, but sold them to support my fund for some Welds which should weigh like 18lbs a piece.

While my Torque Thrust M's weigh in around 22lbs a piece (looked it up). <-- Which confuses me, the rims are suppose to weigh 22lbs and the tires are suppose to weigh 28..which should equal 50lbs even..but my scale reads 52 for the combo and 30 for just the tire..This means the rims weighed 22lbs (like its suppose to, but the tires seem to weigh 2lbs more than advertised..hmmm idk. It's kind of hard to experiment with a home scale lol

Reactions: Litos

·
Registered
287 Posts
You forgot to add the weight of the air. :bigthumb:

Brad

·
Registered
485 Posts
The chrome clads weigh about 32 lbs. And unsprung weight of the wheels is a big deal.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
You forgot to add the weight of the air. :bigthumb:

Brad
:browsmiley:

Plus, it shouldn't be anywhere near 2lbs but did the rim have wheel weights attached?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Who'd pay $2,400 for Heritage wheels and then buy tires to boot? You can't pay that much if you bought the car itself?

·
Registered
98 Posts
On my old GTI, I had upgraded to lightweight wheels for autocrossing and you could very quickly notice the improvement in acceleration & braking.

In this case, the heritage wheels look so much better than the chrome clad. For a few pounds, either way - its not worth it! If you want performance go with smaller, aluminum wheels, but it won't look as bitchin'.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts