Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just looking for opinions on 2 cars that i'm thinking about purchasing....

#1 2016 Challenger RT Classic (Jazz Blue) A/T

or

#2 a 2014 Challenger Shaker edition (Orange) A/T

Both are low miles and comparably equipped....which would you choose and why?

Thanks for your help!

1st Post Btw....It looks like I've come to the right place!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Welcome to the forum! That's a tough choice! The 2016 has the redesigned interior and with the 8-speed auto is probably going to be an overall better performing and a more comfortable car for general day to day use I'd think. The 2014 Shaker only has a 5-speed auto with the same 375 horse motor as the 2016 (the Shaker scoop if for looks only - no added HP because of it). The "coolness factor" of the 2014 Shaker is something to consider though because I believe it was a limited run special edition car, so you'd likely not going to see another one out and about while you are cruisin' around. I think the Shaker will get more looks since it reminds most people of the "old school" Challengers. It would be fairly similar to your current 2010 as far as the interior goes too.

If this is going to be a car used only for nice weather cruising, going to car shows and cruise nights I'd say pick the 2014 Shaker. If this is going to be your daily driver 365 days of the year come rain or shine (not sure what area of the country you live in) , I'd pick the 2016 Classic just because of the 8-speed auto and more comfortable interior and other updates the newer models have. I say drive both and then see if that influences your decision - they would both be nice cars to own, just different "flavors" that's all. I'm sure some others will chime in with their opinions...;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,944 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk. Since the difference in styling is fairly significant between the two, you may prefer one over the other. Otherwise, unless the shaker is a must have, everything tips towards the 2016. Good luck!

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,881 Posts
I owned a 2014 Shaker in Header Orange, it was a fantastic car!! There are days I wish I didn't sell it, in fact if it was a six-speed I wouldn't have sold it. Best looking car of the bunch I have had, I also had a 2015 Shaker in Sublime also an auto but it was the 8-speed. I preferred driving the orange '14 because of the color I think.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I used to own a 2012 SRT M6 and now own a low-miles, used 2016 Scat Pack A8. The lure of the new interior swayed me towards looking for a 2015+ this time around.

Don’t get me wrong, the A8 is fantastic, but my 2012 didn’t make a squeak driving over rough surfaces; this 2016 is one giant, rolling rattle. And judging by the number of posts and threads, my experience is not unique.

It seems all that “stuff” thrown into the newer cars creates opportunity for more things to buzz, squeak, flap and rattle.

If I were to do it again, I’d look for another 2012-2014.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Both are beautiful cars. You cant go wrong with either.

With that said, and with all due respect, only you can answer that question.

Who cares what the forum thinks?

Which one excites you more? Which one makes you a little crazy? Which one will you want to sit in the garage at nite and stare at?

Doesn't matter what I, or anyone else thinks.

What do YOU think?

Sorry, not trying to be rude. Just my opinion.

Best of luck with your decision,

Varooom

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
You have received tremendous advice. All the pros and cons. As the last poster said it is your decision now. Good luck!
Let us know what you do...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I love the jazz blue and had planned on buying it until I got right up on it and I saw that it was sparkly. I am a huge glitter hater and it would bother me to only enjoy the color of my car from a distance. That’s just a me thing tho, I still think it’s an incredible color. If I got the orange it’d be impossible for me to not put the all the markings of the general lee on it (minus the confederate flag of course). I also prefer the non shaker hood, I just think the style of hood looks so much better without the large air intake on the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
716 Posts
To each his own my man. Drive them - sit in them, and you'll resonate on one of 'em. I had a 2014 RT M6 that to this day I still absolutely love. Now a 2015 Scatpack 392 M6 which is unreal. I plan on keeping this car a long time so I decided to go with the updated interior and the 6.4's power. This is 100% a subjective opinion and the only opinion that matters is yours. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
You have two different styles between those choices so that's going to be a subjective item.

The '14 Shaker has STP suspension as part of that package, so its going to handle better over a std. '16 R/T (unless it was equipped with that option).

The transmissions - the A8 will probably have more responsiveness (more gearing) over the A5 which is a good transmission of itself, just different tech from an earlier era.

They're both nice examples - you just have to decide which flavor you like. Both are iconic representations of the styles that were available in '70 & '71 (the '16 is more similar to '71 R/T with the grille, tail lights and stripe of '71 models)

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,464 Posts
Having owned both a pre and post ‘15, I was torn. I love the 1970 like touches on the exterior of the 08 -14, and really appreciate the interior changes in the 15’s to current. You can tell by the picture which one I fell toward finally. For me personally, shakers look nice but are a very expensive hood decoration. I’d lean to the ‘16 based on the interior upgrades and updated transmission. The way a car looks is obviously important, but where will you have the most interaction? In the cab.

Good luck whichever way you go.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,709 Posts
Both are beautiful cars. You cant go wrong with either.

With that said, and with all due respect, only you can answer that question.

Who cares what the forum thinks?

Which one excites you more? Which one makes you a little crazy? Which one will you want to sit in the garage at nite and stare at?

Doesn't matter what I, or anyone else thinks.

What do YOU think?

Sorry, not trying to be rude. Just my opinion.

Best of luck with your decision,

Varooom
Well said! :cheers:

By the way, Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
Price difference between that 2 cars wasn't mentioned, or is that even a factor?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,944 Posts
Congratulations, good choice ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,881 Posts
Congrats!!! Yeah that is one of my all time favorite colors!!! With that Shaker and that color, it will keep you smiling as you hit the throttle!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts