Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hearing a whining sound from the engine area. What's the most likely culprit? Power steering pump or cold air intake leak?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
The pitch of the whine will change with steering wheel position if it’s related to the steering components. Do you hear this with the noise?

I don’t know if a CAI can emit a whining noise when in use, I have not heard it if they can.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Take the belt off and start the car. Is the noise still there or gone? Traced mine to a bad alternator bearing this way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm hearing a whining sound from the engine area. What's the most likely culprit? Power steering pump or cold air intake leak?
Is it a V6? Does it only whine when someone passes you?

JK. Pop the hood and track down the sound. Middle? Right Side? Left Side?
Then narrow it down to front or back.
Upload an audio file or a video.

My shaker and CAI combination has a little "spinning air sound" when I step on it. It sounds like a tiny supercharger.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Is this on a 2016 RT? If it is steering is electric rack and pinion.

Could be:

1) alternator
2) bad idler pulley bearing
3) water pump impeller just starting to scrap the housing
4) if it is more of a whistle sound...vacuum leak

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this crop up a couple months ago. Had it tested, the alternator was "ok" but the battery was recommended for replacing. 2 months later, the whining came back. Took it to another garage who tested the alternator for a good minute and noticed the charge would be fine at first, but then drop over time, and then go up and down. So, we replaced the alternator, and its gone now.

Hopefully that fixes it for good. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have a '09 R/T 6 speed with an aftermarket Shaker intake that is functional and I have this whine every time I get on the gas and the engine comes close to red line. It doesn't sound like a "little" supercharger but a supercharger on steroids. Have had this scream for years and have never been able to figure it out.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Only things I can think of that can cause a whine like a supercharger on a stock motor running an M6 are:

1) alternator (could be bad pulley damper, if equipped, or bad bearings)
2) water pump (impeller is hitting housing at higher RPM and accessory load due to bad bearing)
3) power steering pump (if equipped)
4) AC clutch
4) Idler pulley bearing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
ChallyTatum
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing