Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning.
I saw this was treated already other times. However my noise comes in different conditions.
Scat pack 16
During the bedding of my rotors,
After the strong brake , during the sudden restart( sorry for my bad english..) I hear this whining noise from the engine like a "progressive recharging noise increasing with the rpm .
I dont know how to describe and I will try to post a link of the noise toninght.
Here the link

https://youtu.be/WK3los2M_ug

I heard many people say is the alternator.
I also started to notice this(but lighter) in hard acceleration( without breaking before)
Question is.
Is just noise or it is the prelude of a breakage?
Please let me know
Fly

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Good morning.
I saw this was treated already other times. However my noise comes in different conditions.
Scat pack 16
During the bedding of my rotors,
After the strong brake , during the sudden restart( sorry for my bad english..) I hear this whining noise from the engine like a "progressive recharging noise increasing with the rpm .
I dont know how to describe and I will try to post a link of the noise toninght.
I heard many people say is the alternator.
I also started to notice this(but lighter) in hard acceleration( without breaking before)
Question is.
Is just noise or it is the prelude of a breakage?
Please let me know
Fly

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Someone else mentioned this a while ago. I have not read the thread but might give you some insight.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forum...when-i-accelerate-606785/?606785=#post7773353

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Does this happen when you have a passenger in the car?

They tend to do that when you accelerate too abruptly.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. Just me Praise.
I have those 2 noises that annoying me a lot.
1. This whining
2. The active exhaust valve noise.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
No. Just me Praise.
I have those 2 noises that annoying me a lot.
1. This whining
2. The active exhaust valve noise.

That seems weird, are you sure it's not the same thing acting up?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No ,completely different.
The valve noise is from the back of the car and goes away with sport mode.
While the whining is from the front and it seems like ..a turbine increasing speed with the rpm.
I'll be back home tonight and I'll try to record it.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
No ,completely different.
The valve noise is from the back of the car and goes away with sport mode.
While the whining is from the front and it seems like ..a turbine increasing speed with the rpm.
I'll be back home tonight and I'll try to record it.

BTW the water pumps are known to fail prematurely. Can you place a sound recording device in the engine bay (near water pump or near alternator) to see if you can track the noise?

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
It almost sounds like you're driving a Hellcat in the video.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Ha!
I wish.
What you think is that?

I have a track day in 1week.
I'd like to understand if it is safe to go.

It looks like yours is +2015. Is it still under warranty? Why not take it in to the dealer?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Im following this thread. I have the exact same sound during exact same scenario too. I have a 2015 rt plus with stp.

I dont want to take it to the dealership for now bc im too lazy to uninstall the hellcat intake for the stock intake (lifetime warranty concerns about non stock components on car).

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Im following this thread. I have the exact same sound during exact same scenario too. I have a 2015 rt plus with stp.

I dont want to take it to the dealership for now bc im too lazy to uninstall the hellcat intake for the stock intake (lifetime warranty concerns about non stock components on car).
I doubt they would notice.

As for the whine, does it sound like it is coming from the front (water pump, alternator, belt idler?) of the engine or back (torque converter?) of the engine, hard to tell from the audio in the vid (used headphones and still could not tell).

What I have done to diagnose a noise while driving is to place a cheap handheld camcorder or old cellphone in the engine bay where I suspect the noise is coming from.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts