Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
Dodge Challenger RT Plus
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a whining noise in my 15 RT. It only happens when I accelerate.
Has anyone seen this? My warranty is almost up, less than 3k miles remaining.

Any thought would be appreciated. thank you

pete

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi all,

pete

Check the alternator yet? That's usually it, anything whining with accelerating tends to be pulley driven. I know it's a 15 but ya never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
760 Posts
The above comment^

See if you can determine the rpm it comes on at or the range that you hear it in. Unless it under acceleration throughout the rpms.

It may also be a water pump, ac condenser, idler etc. Anything on the belt drive.

It could also simply be a whistle from the air intake that sounds like a whine. Park the car and do a steady rev and see if the sound duplicates, if not, most likely something other than on the belt drive.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
The above comment^

See if you can determine the rpm it comes on at or the range that you hear it in. Unless it under acceleration throughout the rpms.

It may also be a water pump, ac condenser, idler etc. Anything on the belt drive.

It could also simply be a whistle from the air intake that sounds like a whine. Park the car and do a steady rev and see if the sound duplicates, if not, most likely something other than on the belt drive.
I was gonna say that.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,933 Posts
Are you married? Sorry :) Not coming from the audio? Changes pitch as speed increases/decreases?

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Are you married? Sorry :) Not coming from the audio? Changes pitch as speed increases/decreases?

A Guy
I wish I was gonna say that. AGUY is too clever for me.

·
Premium Member
Dodge Challenger RT Plus
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The above comment^

great feedback, thank you both. i just installed a new mopar cai. the sound didn't change from before or after the install.
i will check the rpm range the next time i am able to. didn't think of that.

·
Premium Member
Dodge Challenger RT Plus
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

A Guy
Only happens when i push the RPMs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
How many miles on the car? What RPM does it start exactly? Is this noise dependent on RPM's only(IE downshift to the suspected RPM's and hold it there WITHOUT accelerating) or does the engine have to be loaded, at WOT producing power for this noise to occur? Is the Whine like a turbine or gear teeth, (smooth) or is it more like a squeal, high pitched but not smooth? Does the noise rise and fall with the engine, changing with the gears or is it a slow rise independent of gear changes? Indicating propeller shaft, differential, half shaft or tire issues.

If you are asking a few thousand anonymous typists for on opinion that you are going to base your, and your families safety on, you need to be very descriptive and precise.

·
Premium Member
Dodge Challenger RT Plus
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
:::RESOLVED:::

After weeks and several attempts to troubleshoot, a resolution has been found!

Three different trips to the dealer. Here's what they tried:

-Removed my after market CAI and replaced with OEM.
Nope (I knew this but they were required to try it)

-Replaced water pump
Nope

-Removed belt, shutting down all accessories
Nope

Mechanic did some research on his own time. Found video of some car owners placing items in their exhaust systems to generate alternate sounds. When I told him that I heard the whine mostly from the passenger rear, he decided to:

-Replace passenger side exhaust
WHAM!

Something in the OEM exhaust must have come loose or freed and was generating the whining sound when getting on the gas.
RESOLVED!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,933 Posts
Good detective work, glad he went the extra mile, and you got it fixed. A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Oh happy day!!! Wow, that would not have come up on a screen. Good old fashioned detective work paid off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi all,

pete
Not to make light of your situation, but when that happens to me, I drop my girlfriend back home.

Edit: Now that I scroll down, I see a few guys beat me to it. :)

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Challenger SRT 392
113 Posts
front wheel bearings im going through this same problem with my 14 srt I took my car in this week its covered under the power
warranty

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts
-Replace passenger side exhaust
WHAM!

Something in the OEM exhaust must have come loose or freed and was generating the whining sound when getting on the gas.
RESOLVED!
Well the passenger side exhaust cat back exhaust is connected directly to the x-pipe. The driver side resonator is the only part of the exhaust that can be remove at the flange. Weird, not sure how the exhaust can make a whining noise? You sure someone did not drop one of these in the tailpipe? :grin2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts