Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've seen this posted here a while back but never saw a definite resolution.

Basically, when the car is running there is maybe a very slight noise that is not the usual repetitive hemi tick. When the A/C is on it sounds like a couple rocks rolling around in a can. It is definitely the whipple as the installer checked without the belt and the noise stopped.

Whipple was contacted, and they said it was normal. Something to do with harmonics. Most google results show whipple telling everyone this. i guess if it's normal, then why isn't it on every install?

I'm just curious if anyone has found for sure what is causing it, if there is a fix, and if there is any potential future/long term damage?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts
You sure it's not the water pump? There was a recent thread where someone complained about a rattle/bearing noise and it turned out to be the water pump. Very common problem with the 5.7.

When I installed my maggie, I had to replace the snout. When I started it up it sounded like stones tumbling in the snout. I thought it was slop in the rotor gearing causing them to hit but I think it was the coupler reseating as I don't hear that noise any more and boost levels are the same (i.e. rotors are not worn). Not sure how the whipple is set-up? Maybe API, MM or SW vendors can comment.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You sure it's not the water pump? There was a recent thread where someone complained about a rattle/bearing noise and it turned out to be the water pump. Very common problem with the 5.7.

When I installed my maggie, I had to replace the snout. When I started it up it sounded like stones tumbling in the snout. I thought it was slop in the rotor gearing causing them to hit but I think it was the coupler reseating as I don't hear that noise any more and boost levels are the same (i.e. rotors are not worn). Not sure how the whipple is set-up? Maybe API, MM or SW vendors can comment.
I don't think that's the case. The installer bypassed the s/c and there was no sound with or without the a/c. with everything running it's loud as hell with the a/c on, not so much with the a/c off. ac runs fine and i don't have any over heating problems.

if it had something to do with the water pump, would these tests catch it? how long would it last afterward? it has been running strong for three summer months with no problems, no cabin noise, just loud under the hood with a/c on.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts
I don't think that's the case. The installer bypassed the s/c and there was no sound with or without the a/c. with everything running it's loud as hell with the a/c on, not so much with the a/c off. ac runs fine and i don't have any over heating problems.

if it had something to do with the water pump, would these tests catch it? how long would it last afterward? it has been running strong for three summer months with no problems, no cabin noise, just loud under the hood with a/c on.
Again not too familiar with the whipple set-up, but if the installer bypassed the SC by using a shorter belt that ran all accessories but the SC then I would say you might have a bad bearing on the SC. Reason being is that when you hear the sound increase from the SC when the AC compressor is on (puts stress on the SC bearing). Does it sound louder in the front of the SC?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I went through the same thing almost a year ago. After initial startup, it sounds like rocks inside the supercharger with the A/C on. I also immediately sent a video to Dustin Whipple. I got the same response that it is normal on a Hemi.

Per Whipple: “Sounds like the normal Hemi sound. The Hemi’s have a distinct sound over the Mustangs and Camaros that also run the 2.9L Front Feed unit. This is due to the AC compressor being in the same belt line as the other accessories where the Ford and GM belt systems have the AC on a separate belt. If you turn the AC compressor on and listen as the AC clutch engages and disengages, the noise will get louder with it engaged and get quieter when it disengages.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts
I went through the same thing almost a year ago. After initial startup, it sounds like rocks inside the supercharger with the A/C on. I also immediately sent a video to Dustin Whipple. I got the same response that it is normal on a Hemi.

Per Whipple: “Sounds like the normal Hemi sound. The Hemi’s have a distinct sound over the Mustangs and Camaros that also run the 2.9L Front Feed unit. This is due to the AC compressor being in the same belt line as the other accessories where the Ford and GM belt systems have the AC on a separate belt. If you turn the AC compressor on and listen as the AC clutch engages and disengages, the noise will get louder with it engaged and get quieter when it disengages.”

Really? I got to record my maggie with AC on and off to compare.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well from what I understand it is only a Whipple thing. There have been various levels of it recorded and posted on here. Mine was loud enough that I thought I immediately sent the video to Whipple as I was concerned there was an issue with the supercharger. That is when I got the response. Mine is on a 6.1L and supposedly it is worse on them than a 6.4L.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well from what I understand it is only a Whipple thing. There have been various levels of it recorded and posted on here. Mine was loud enough that I thought I immediately sent the video to Whipple as I was concerned there was an issue with the supercharger. That is when I got the response. Mine is on a 6.1L and supposedly it is worse on them than a 6.4L.
Yeah, mine is pretty bad. Not so bad that you hear it from the cabin, unless i'm really lisening for it with music off and a/c on the lowest setting. you can 100% hear the noise change when the A/C clicks on and off. My installers first thought was a bad bearing and we got the response mentioned above from whipple. I think i can hear a slight bit of rattling with the a/c off but not bad.

I guess i was just hoping there was some little thing that could be done to get that to stop. if these challengers are all set up basically the same, wouldn't all 5.7s sound the same, all 6.4s etc?

Also, to put my mind at ease, if it were a bad bearing, it would have already crapped out by now right? noise has been there for at least 1000 miles, with many many pulls to red line.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you get a chance search my threads. I posted a video of mine. I feel mine is loud as well but have put approx. 1000 miles and on dyno with no issue.

·
Registered
2016 RT
112 Posts
Just installed the 2.9 on my 5.7 2016 Challenger. I hate that noise sounds like crap had I known before I purchased I would not have bought this unit. Got the same response from Whipple saying it should dissipate in a hundred miles.
I really don't understand how this could be acceptable if the sound is caused by metal hitting metal.
Did yours get any quieter?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I only have maybe 700 miles on mine but no it has not changed. It still sounds like it has gravel in it at idle with the AC on. It runs good though.

·
Vendor
12,266 Posts
we have only done a few 5.7L Whipples and every one of them has a strange harmonic at idle with ac on, sounds like a bunch of rocks in a tin can, very annoying, as per Whipple we were told normal......:frown:
Luke

·
Registered
2016 RT
112 Posts
calibration files

For those of you with Whipple superchargers may I ask how many calibration files it took before they thought the car was tuned properly?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I used the canned tune to drive the car to a professional tuner to tune in on a dyno.

·
Registered
2016 RT
112 Posts
I only have maybe 700 miles on mine but no it has not changed. It still sounds like it has gravel in it at idle with the AC on. It runs good though.
Do you still hear the gravel with ac off? Mine has the rattle without ac.

·
Registered
2016 RT
112 Posts
Mine is still audible with the AC off but tolerable. I have found that the best way to drowned it out is apply boost. lol
Haha ya thats good. Waiting for my 4th calibration file to be sent. Things are not right. Guess I'll have to look for a tuner and dyno. Do you mind telling me what you paid for that service?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts
Haha ya thats good. Waiting for my 4th calibration file to be sent. Things are not right. Guess I'll have to look for a tuner and dyno. Do you mind telling me what you paid for that service?
I see your car is still hard to start when warm. Did they bump up your start up airflow? Also you might want to bump up the elevated idle table in the higher ETCs. My canned magnuson tune had the idle set low (600) at warm to operating temp and there were times the car would barely start warm/hot.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts