Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 RT
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody change the oil in their Whipple supercharger yet ?
Trying to do that and their doesn't seem to be a way to get all of the old oil out .

·
Registered
2016 RT
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but not much help.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Maybe contact Whipple?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Has anybody change the oil in their Whipple supercharger yet ?
Trying to do that and their doesn't seem to be a way to get all of the old oil out .
It is rare -- make that impossible -- that all old oil can be drained from an engine or in this case a piece of machinery like a supercharger.

The manufacturer should take that into account via its oil change instructions by (usually) specifying the drain take place with the oil hot and the oil be allowed to drain a certain amount of time. This gets the maximum amount of oil out of the assembly.

If the manufacturer feels that even a bit of residual oil is bad it could be that some kind of siphon might be called for.

But I have to point out of leaving a few dregs of old oil in the oil sump is that bad how in God's name did the machinery survive when full of that same old oil?

If you need more detail regarding Whipple supercharger oil service you'll probably have to contact Whipple to get the most up to date and accurate info.

·
Registered
2016 RT
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of the first things that I did was contact Whipple. What they told me to do did not work.I could only remove half the oil that was put in to the blower originally. So I decided to post here and see if I could find somebody that actually did it successfully. I also joined a Facebook group called Hemi Whipple owners. It has over 2,000 members But I couldn't find anybody who had changed the oil successful either.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
One of the first things that I did was contact Whipple. What they told me to do did not work.I could only remove half the oil that was put in to the blower originally. So I decided to post here and see if I could find somebody that actually did it successfully. I also joined a Facebook group called Hemi Whipple owners. It has over 2,000 members But I couldn't find anybody who had changed the oil successful either.
Does Whipple specifically require all the old oil be removed? If the setup is such that only half the oil gets drained -- if I wanted to remove all the oil I'd look at some siphon setup -- I'm pretty sure Whipple would take that into account when specifying the frequency of the oil change.

The info at the link I provided calls for an oil change of a Whipple supercharger at 75K to 100K miles. Does your supercharger have that many miles on it?

I suspect not. Thus you are changing the oil prematurely. Nothing wrong with this.

But if Whipple doesn't supply a procedure to remove all the oil even for oil that has been in service for 75K to 100K miles then that half the oil remains would appear to be not an issue.

If it is a big issue with you, change the oil removing all the oil you can and refill with fresh oil.

Then just follow an oil change interval that is shorter than the 75K to 100K miles Whipple calls for.

The quantity of oil is small I take it and hopefully not too expensive, so if it bothers you that some "old" oil remains in the supercharger just change the oil more often. Change it every time you change the engine oil for example.

·
Registered
2016 RT
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay this is kind of a long story but here goes there's a sight glass on the side of the supercharger that's how you check your oil level. After 10,000 miles from installation the sight glass was completely black and I couldn't see any oil so I siphoned out oil from the top filler plug and less than half the amount of oil that was originally put in came out. Then I unscrewed the sight glass at the bottom and no oil came out I could see this sight glass was black and I cleaned it and I put it back in then I put the oil that I removed back in and the level was appropriate. When I contacted Whipple about it they said oh yeah if you siphon out you have to go more to the driver side of the blower with the siphon tube because the reservoir is deeper there. So I tried to do that every witch way and could only get another ounce of oil out. Needless to say the oil was very dark which after searching turns out not unusual. So if it's common for the oil to be so dark and completely black out the sight glass how am I supposed to know what the oil level is? I know I could ask Whipple that but I'm tired of dealing with them. I'm sure it's going to be fine and when the glass gets too dark to read the oil level I'll go through the same procedure again.
Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Okay this is kind of a long story but here goes there's a sight glass on the side of the supercharger that's how you check your oil level. After 10,000 miles from installation the sight glass was completely black and I couldn't see any oil so I siphoned out oil from the top filler plug and less than half the amount of oil that was originally put in came out. Then I unscrewed the sight glass at the bottom and no oil came out I could see this sight glass was black and I cleaned it and I put it back in then I put the oil that I removed back in and the level was appropriate. When I contacted Whipple about it they said oh yeah if you siphon out you have to go more to the driver side of the blower with the siphon tube because the reservoir is deeper there. So I tried to do that every witch way and could only get another ounce of oil out. Needless to say the oil was very dark which after searching turns out not unusual. So if it's common for the oil to be so dark and completely black out the sight glass how am I supposed to know what the oil level is? I know I could ask Whipple that but I'm tired of dealing with them. I'm sure it's going to be fine and when the glass gets too dark to read the oil level I'll go through the same procedure again.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Reads like a subpar design that relies upon a sight glass for oil level checking but in normal operation the sight glass gets so discolored as to render it useless for its purpose.

Probably won't make you feel any better but the odds of the supercharger losing oil is slim. And there would almost certainly be some sign of this if it were to happen. So when you check the engine oil level even if you can no longer rely upon the sight glass to confirm the oil level in the supercharger is good you can check for sign of an oil leak.

If you spot this then you can change the oil, siphon it out, and clean the glass and refill and then monitor the sight glass for any sign the supercharger is in fact losing oil.

Or just resign yourself to whenever the sight glass gets too dark to serve its purpose change the supercharger oil. Which is apparently the decision you have made.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts