Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'13 Dodge Challenger SXT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all! For the past couple of weeks, I've had a whistling noise (almost sounds like crickets chirping) form the engine area. It doesn't always happen, it seems like when the cooling fan kicks on and when the vehicle is idle. As soon as I give it any kind of gas, the noise subsides and then returns. Sometimes the sound isn't there.

I honestly can't pinpoint it to an exact location. I do have a CAI, which I made sure was tightened. I have a ported throttle body which is tightened down. I had my catback exhaust professionally installed. I also recently tuned my car, which is around the time I noticed the whistling. Maybe a coincidence?

I had my vehicle inspected completely about a month ago, and nothing was reported. I just had it inspected last week for vacuum leaks and any cracked hoses, which turned up nothing. I did just have an oil change last week, too. I'm truly flabbergasted.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,866 Posts
Had a car produce an intermittent chirping sound turned out to be a bad accessory drive idler roller bearing.

Just had an oil change? All I can add is be sure the oil cap is on properly. With another car I had an oil filler tube cap develop a leak -- due to age -- and while I heard no noise inside the cabin and the engine ran ok once in a while it would trigger a CEL.

With the engine compartment lid open and checking things was able to move the cap around and then was able to hear it leaking due to low pressure -- this at engine idle -- in the crankcase.

·
Registered
2018 R/T 6M
162 Posts
@Phobos - ever get this resolved? I have the opposite... kinda a cricket sound in 1st and 2nd gear when lightly accelerating... goes away at higher rpms or when foot taken off the gas.I don’t here it in third. I have an 2018 R/T.

·
Registered
'13 Dodge Challenger SXT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Phobos - ever get this resolved? I have the opposite... kinda a cricket sound in 1st and 2nd gear when lightly accelerating... goes away at higher rpms or when foot taken off the gas.I don’t here it in third. I have an 2018 R/T.
Hey there! I did not unfortunately. It still comes and goes, only when the cooling fan is on I believe. It's the weirdest thing. I was thinking maybe a loose pulley somewhere?

·
Registered
2018 R/T 6M
162 Posts
I’ve been leaning towards that as well... possibly tensioner or idler arm pulley.

·
Registered
'13 Dodge Challenger SXT
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve been leaning towards that as well... possibly tensioner or idler arm pulley.
I've seen a few similar posts about others thinking it was an idler arm pulley, the serpentine belt, or alternator pulley.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,941 Posts
Could it be coming from the air intake?

A Guy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts