Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

My 2017 SP is an awesome car but lately I have notice a white powder on parts of my dash and door panels. It is not dry skin or dust, I am thinking it is coming from my AC but not sure. My brother has a 2016 and has the exact same residue on the dash and doors as well.

Any ideas?

Is the normal, is it harmful, will it do anything to the materials and better yet, is it harmful to me or my passenger?

Thanks

·
Registered
282 Posts
Clean it real good with warm water and a little bit of a mild soap. Then treat it with a dressing. I saw this in both of my challengers for a bit until I did this. I prefer the satin finish on the dash and doors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BigW,

I figured it has to be common but could not find anything remotely close to it posted in the forum.

Cheers

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm in a rental charger ATM that is doing the same thing. I considered fixing it, but already spent like five hours detailing the outside. Maybe I will do it tomorrow.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I believe it is referred to as "vinyl outgassing" it is probably leaving a film on you windows to.

·
Super Moderator
13,850 Posts
I believe it is referred to as "vinyl outgassing" it is probably leaving a film on you windows to. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This has been a common problem for some Challenger owners going back to the 2008 model. Nothing harmful, just an annoyance. I, however, have not experienced it.

It occurs when you use a chemical protectant and then then allow your car to sit unheated in a dark space (e.g., a cool garage). It's just the protectant leeching out of the pours of the vinyl and then drying in the air. You can remove it with soapy water.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This happens on just about every new car with a vinyl dash. Outgassing is common. Go to a dealer lot where they have had a new car just sitting in the sun for weeks on end. The windshield will sometimes have an off-white-yellow film on it. Thats the offgassing happening.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts