Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, it’s been some time since my last visit. I still have my 2014 shaker, but I need some assistance.

One day, the check engine light came on, so I had to do an oil change anyways, I brought it in. They found it was a misfire in cylinder 2. They ended up replacing several things. I didn’t think it was that badly off as I didn’t notice any issues at all with driving, but 2 weeks later they give me back my car.

One week goes by and the check engine light come back on but now it also has a strong smell of exaust of burning. I bring it back, they said they updated some codes and tested it and the check engine light is now off. But the burning smell continues. I could never find exactly where it was coming from, but this morning when I got to work, I just popped the hood and waited. It seems like after about 2-3
Minutes, smoke looks to be coming out of the following area in the picture below. It smokes for a little while and then stops. I guess that’s why I couldn’t find it initially as it didn’t smoke at first, and then later one it did and stopped, making a big stink in the garage, but I never caught it while it was doing it. Any idea on what this could be? The smoke is coming from what looks like where the exaust pipe is hooked up, circled in red on the picture. You can see a small whiff of smoke also, although it’s more noticeable in person.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,012 Posts
Agree with Trimec.

I had a '96 Mustang that would smoke after some engine run time. Took it in and service tech found the smoking was coming from a camshaft/valve cover leak which only leaked once the engine was hot and only for a short time after the engine was shut off.

But because the leak was right above the exhaust manifold the only signs I had of the leak was a faint cloud of oil smoke wafting out from under the hood or a strong smell of burning oil in the cabin as the burning oil fumes were being pulled in by the cabin vent fan. There was never any signs of oil on anything nor any oil on the ground.

The tech spotted a bit of a stain on the exhaust manifold the result of the oil dripping down on the hot exhaust.

A reseal of the camshaft/valve cover solved the smoking/smell problem. (Well, not exactly. It took a number of tries. In the next to last time the engine started smoking just a few minutes after I left the dealer having had this just addressed. I turned around and headed back to the Ford dealer and parked the car right in a prominent place at the service department entrance. The oil smoke was coming out from under the hood and was quite visible. I had my fingers crossed the car would catch on fire but it didn't. Darn it.)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
The image you showed looks like you have a leaky valve cover seal. When I replaced my push rods, the aftermarket seal I bought rolled slightly and when the car sat the oil would drain down the wall of the valve cover and drip onto the exhaust gasket shield and manifold. I used a bore scope to confirm. Took the cover off and it was apparent where the seal was bad. I replaced with OEM seals and all is good.

If you are getting a misfire, the seal around the spark plug could be bad and potentially fill the plug cavity with oil. To check, just pull the coil packs and inspect the boot for oil. If you don't see oil then slide a spark plug socket down the hole...don't remove the plug but instead slide the the spark plug socket out and inspect. If you see oil your seal is bad and the oil is causing the coil signal to short out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I will check on the valve cover. The work they did after I had the first check engine light may not have been properly done. As this problem didn’t exist when the first check engine light came about. It only started after the work was completed. Also, on lunch today I looked around some more and pinpointed exactly where the fluid (I’m assuming oil) is burning (see below). It’s accumulating on that part of the exaust circled in red. Not enough is leaking to puddle on the ground like was mentioned. At least I luckily had purchased the extended warranty of the last work they did was over $3K -.-

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
If the shop removed the valve covers I am pretty confident that the seal rolled (it is hard to put the cover on without sliding it). I found that spraying head surface with silicone oil greatly reduces this from happening. When I removed my covers, the residual oil spilled on the cats just like you show in the pic. Get a white rag and wipe along the edge of the valve cover (careful as there is a heat shield edge).

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/valve-cover-leak-help-154378/?154378=#post2061506

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the shop removed the valve covers I am pretty confident that the seal rolled (it is hard to put the cover on without sliding it). I found that spraying head surface with silicone oil greatly reduces this from happening. When I removed my covers, the residual oil spilled on the cats just like you show in the pic. Get a white rag and wipe along the edge of the valve cover (careful as there is a heat shield edge).

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/valve-cover-leak-help-154378/?154378=#post2061506

Here is a breakdown of what they did. The first one is the first time I brought it in, it was after this that the burning started. The second one they supposedly fixed the check engine light, but didn’t address the burning oil.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Woah, looks like the whole top end was removed. So the valve covers would have come off along with the intake and heads. Again it is highly likely the valve cover gasket seal rolled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts