·
Registered
664 Posts
The car is raw power its instant torque here it is running against a challenger

here John talks about it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
You can't beat a massive battery and motor bolted onto the lightest frame you can find, simple power-to-weight dominance. No complex cooling, oil, transmission...

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
Cool; but, how about when it runs out of power?

Time to recharge the electric car: 5 to 15 hours

Time to recharge (with gas) a Challenger: 5 minutes

Now who is the winner? :D

·
Registered
664 Posts
Cool; but, how about when it runs out of power?

Time to recharge the electric car: 5 to 15 hours

Time to recharge (with gas) a Challenger: 5 minutes

Now who is the winner? :D
15 - 20 min charge time between 1/4 mile runs and how long do you have to wait for your next pass.. Still impressive regardless.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Well, if you think about it, at some point there will be an electric racing league, like NASCAR or Indy, it may take a while, 10 years? Advanced cooling systems and perhaps alternating parallel batteries will have to be developed to cope with longer ranges of heavy current draw.

At pit stops, tires are changed as usual, and a standardized battery module ejected and replaced with a "fresh" one, probably in around the same time current internal combustion cars do.

I fly electric model airplanes (used to fly methanol), keep a couple spare packs around, and charge the used ones.

·
Registered
352 Posts
sure, sure, but can it drive TO THE TRACK. Or better yet, the closest track to me is 6 hours away, can it drive from my house in Little Rock to the closest track in Dallas?

A lot of us just don't care too much for track-only vehicles. I just don't see the point and don't find it impressive in the least.
In order to make an electric practical in any way whatsoever, you have to add a gas generator to charge it on long runs. Which don't get me wrong, I would love. I'm totally aware of the torque of an electric, but gas savings is really completely unimportant to me, I just want the power aspect. Give me a Challenger with two or four electric motors and a gas generator, and I'll line up at the dealership. (I'll still keep my V8 for the weekend though. It's all about the sound. Electric whine will never get my testosterone pumping like two pipes full of V8 exhaust)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Probably off-topic a bit, but everyone sees the point of the segment, right? I would ask the following questions:

1. Is loading a car up with 192 Li-Ion polymer batteries "environmentally friendly"? What does it take to manufacture these batteries? How much energy/carbon does it take to make one? Do you burn one ounce of oil doing so? Which country(s) do we have to exploit for the raw materials to manufacture them? We're sure as heck not going to mine them here (NIMBY)......
2. What is the lifetime of the batteries/battery pack? What happens to them after they're all used up and have to be replaced? Are they even recyclable?
3. That car still uses/used lots of petroleum, even if not directly (i.e. our entire economy is based on using or burning petroleum/hydrocarbons - how did all of the parts that make up that car get to him? How did supplies to make them get to the manufacturers?). How many rear tires does that guy go through? What are those made of? How many other parts in the car are made up of petroleum-based products?
4. If we all drove electric cars, where's the electricity to charge them all going to come from?

And the list could go on.......don't get me wrong, the car is cool, and I'm sure it's fun as hell to drive, but the slant of the segment just rubs me the wrong way. The (distant) future is probably not the gasoline engine, but the electric car ain't the miracle cure either.

Okay, rant over.......I think that I need some Hemi therapy........ :guiness:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Probably off-topic a bit, but everyone sees the point of the segment, right? I would ask the following questions:

1. Is loading a car up with 192 Li-Ion polymer batteries "environmentally friendly"? What does it take to manufacture these batteries? How much energy/carbon does it take to make one? Do you burn one ounce of oil doing so? Which country(s) do we have to exploit for the raw materials to manufacture them? We're sure as heck not going to mine them here (NIMBY)......
2. What is the lifetime of the batteries/battery pack? What happens to them after they're all used up and have to be replaced? Are they even recyclable?
3. That car still uses/used lots of petroleum, even if not directly (i.e. our entire economy is based on using or burning petroleum/hydrocarbons - how did all of the parts that make up that car get to him? How did supplies to make them get to the manufacturers?). How many rear tires does that guy go through? What are those made of? How many other parts in the car are made up of petroleum-based products?
4. If we all drove electric cars, where's the electricity to charge them all going to come from?

And the list could go on.......don't get me wrong, the car is cool, and I'm sure it's fun as hell to drive, but the slant of the segment just rubs me the wrong way. The (distant) future is probably not the gasoline engine, but the electric car ain't the miracle cure either.

Okay, rant over.......I think that I need some Hemi therapy........ :guiness:
This is why the Prius makes absolutely no sense. Hybrids do not free us of hydrocarbon energy. The Volt is a step closer but still not the answer. The only near-term solution is the hydrogen fuel cell and nuclear reactor produced electricity. Then, we can concentrate our know-how on R & D for fusion power.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I completely agree.

So many people get stuck looking with tunnel vision at the fact that you don't pour gas into a tank and think it's immediately "clean". There are so many energy and materials used end-to-end (manufacturing through usage life through disposal) that still have to be accounted for.

As for clean energy, I vote for
1) focus fusion
2) wind + solar
3) nuclear

Focus fusion is *really* cool. It uses Boron for fuel which is extremely abundant, it is compact (think washing machine sized), and it is completely safe.
google tech talk: Focus Fusion: The Fastest Route to Cheap, Clean Energy

Nuclear energy can be made completely safe with the pebble bed reactors (which can survive a complete coolant failure w/o suffering meltdown). The main problem with current nuclear energy is that it still produces waste.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
INCREDIBLY COOL!!!!

Think about it, perhaps at some point, the only legal form of drag racing might only be, electric.

For me, the practicality issue with electric is only recharge time and some range problems. Fix those, and gasoline is dead.

I still think fuel cell is better.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Problem with fuel cells, at least hydrogen-based, is getting H2, that's a pricey gas to produce, not to mention the expense of rare-metal catalysts. For now, a gas generator is the best option, like they have on the Chevy Volt.

You have to pay the piper somewhere along the energy chain. Low cost options like solar cells yield low amounts of electricity; to up the yield you have to buy more panels with higher cost materials...

Having said that, electric motors, under ideal conditions (read not the White Zombie) exceed 80% efficiency vs. 20% for internal combustion. As has be noted before, it's those damn batteries that are the lynch-pin, Lithium-ion are heavy, pricey, and don't respond well to heat from high current draw (they tend to blow up).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah the problem is that car looks about as fun to drive as a big wheel. That and just the battery costs about 100K

·
Registered
82 Posts
Someday we will run out of oil, and gasoline & diesel powered cars/trucks will become a thing of the past (sadly). We can only hope that whatever replaces them will give owners just as much a sense of pride of ownership and enjoyment as our Challengers do now. What sucks about right now is the mild-to-moderate hysteria surrounding alternative energy and the panic that seems to be driving oil/gas prices. Somehow I get the strong feeling that there's the B.S. that the media. enviros, & speculators are feeding us about the oil situation, and then there's the truth. What's even more maddening is that there's pretty much nothing we can do about it, and they know it. I wonder sometimes about how all of this mess is going to end up........

·
Registered
616 Posts
Why is this topic in the General Challenger Discussion sub-forum?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts