Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to hear from guys (and gals) all around the US about who typically "tries them" on the road in their town/region etc.

You know the situation: You're just cruising (or even flying) around town minding your own business, and you notice someone in your rear view at high speed, or notice a car makes an aggressive move to catch up to or pass you in manner that you know is intentional. You know it's on now.

Background

So the only other muscle car I've owned was a 99' GT while stationed in Texas, 2002. No mods, but it was fast enough for me at the time, sounded good, and I couldn't afford a whole lot more as a broke Airman.

Fast forward to today, move to Maryland just outside the DC area. Up until I got the 6 Speed 2010 RT earlier this year, I'd been driving compact, pedestrian vehicles all around the beltway and into DC. Long, boring, traffic laden drives. Well, I got a job 30 minutes from home AWAY from the beltway a couple years ago, which prompted me to start looking for speed again.

Enter the R/T earlier this year. She's bone stock, but like most here I've got some decisions to make about how to upgrade. The point is though, the people I thought would be, uh, "challenging" me are not who I expected.

I thought the minute I got on the road I was going to have GT and SS's mixing in all the time, but surprisingly, not one has tried to go, and I've had the car since March. Not gonna say I'm looking to call em out, lord knows I love my car but its no secret the Coyote and the LS3 make more power in lighter setups (hence the need for upgrades or SRT trade up, discussed in another thread). The second group I thought would be popular opponents are of course, tuners, the natural enemy to American muscle (or so I thought). Thought I'd see a lot of Evo's and 350/370's trying me, but not so.

In the area I cruise between DC and Baltimore, my typical opponent so far have been Bimmers, Infiniti G35/37's and strangely, a smattering of Acura vehicles from the early 00's that, so far, have had no chance. The only other American car I had try me was the damn Charger, and there's only been two of those! I even had one AMG coupe offer to go" in Arlington VA, but it was a C63 so....yeah I'm good lol.

I think the thing that surprises me the most are all the one off challenges from folks who I would not expect: a Jetta, Lexus RX350, a Ford Focus come to mind. Their desire to jump outside their weight class makes me say, "What the hell?" And boy do I get pissed when I have to engage them, but I always will. I can't let it go...I don't run around trying to jump out on Z06's, GT500's or even SRT's--Charger or Challenger.

BACK TO THE POINT

I'd like to know what everyone's "rules" are here for when someone jumps out on you on the street. For instance, I WILL NOT surrender a defeat to anything I dub a "mom vehicle". That baby blue Lexus RX350 comes to mind. I don't give a damn if Jimmy Johnson himself is driving it. So specifically:

1.What conditions warrant engaging an opponent? e.g. a specific brand (All Fords), specific car subculture (all euro cars), anyone you think you should beat, etc.

2. When don't you engage? (opponent will almost certainly drag your a$$, or opponent has zero chance)

DISCLAIMER: I like speed and cool cars (458 Italia? :blockhead:) I love my Dodge, but I'm not a hardliner for any particular brand. Don't take any of this personally if you own a Bimmer (like all the men in my family) tuner car or anything else. If it's fast and cool, I'd probably drive it. I'm just curious how other Challenger owners react when tested on the road.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and uh, hopefully I don't piss anyone off for posting this here...I considered "off topic", but I wanted as wide an audience as possible. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
968 Posts
What I call a street opponent is a little bit different than what you described. I'd consider it someone who lines up with you at a stop light and revvs. In that case my opponents are almost exclusively ricers, and often non 5.0 mustangs.

In the case of people trying to pass me violently in traffic (a huge pet peeve btw), for some ridiculous reason it is almost always chrysler 300's, predominantly v6's. I can't stand people who speed and weave in traffic, so on the rare occasion someone really gets crazy I will take road rage way too far and literally force them to stay behind me while i drive slow. If they catch a break in traffic I am far faster anyway so they have no chance if I don't let them have one.

People here drive like savages sometimes.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I've had a few imports try to start something. I don't really respect those cars or the "men" that drive them so I typically don't respond unless they piss me off. The majority is Mustangs and Camaros. Had a few Vettes too.

Of course, by respond, I mean we take it to the local track where it's legal...yadda, yadda, yadda.
Turbo Supras...

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I call a street opponent is a little bit different than what you described. I'd consider it someone who lines up with you at a stop light and revvs.
Totally agree with that definition. Just, nobody I've come across has done the classic rev and/or look. Of the two ways for me to travel to/from work, one of them is a highway and the other is a "freeway" with 55Mph speeds, some long straights and lights. Usually, the encounters at these lights simply involve me moving off the light "at pace" like I normally do, then someone a couple lanes over or a few cars back decides I shouldn't be in front, makes a few moves to catch up, and away we go.

I've only had one classic light meeting, one of the two Charger encounters, and that guy didn't rev his engine, creep up, or even look my way. I glanced over and saw he was messing about with his radio or something, then the light goes green and floors his auto. I'm like "Oh so we are doing this then?" I was able to catch up to him because he pulled up a little early, but I didn't like the attempt at surprise.

State your intentions, or don't go at all.

Funny thing though, all my encounters thus far have been respectful, usually with a thumbs up, a nod, or some other friendly acknowledgement from the other drivers, EXCEPT for the Bimmer guys. Certainly doesn't say anything about everyone in the country who owns em', but damn.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Like I posted in your other thread, put a blower on that thing and call it a day - you'll be an 11 second car that can tear up just about anything you want...just watch for the GT500s, ZL1s and anything domestic with a pillar pod LOL....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks Beas! Who are you dealing with most in your area? Does anyone try you that probably shouldn't?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Heh, all of 'em!!! Heh, all joking aside, 'round here the popular choice among the younger crowd (on the street) is the 90s foxbody! It's the lightest weight cheapest to mod car...but they're all 13 and 14 second cars at best. Other than that, it's boosted imports, Subi' WRXs, 240z s with swaps...with the occasional 70s muscle...but unless its an LS swap, they're lucky to be making a HP per cube....so yea.....all of 'em. LOL, don't get me wrong, there's a few Mustangs and 'Maros on the bottle out here too! So its all fun - but I keep it respectful, I'll accept a challenge, but generally, wont provoke one.

..but then again, I'm super chill, and don't take any of this personally, they're just kids tryna' have fun.

Now if you want to see some of the bigger boys out here in my area - look up TheBayAreaRacing on YouTube! Matter of fact, the OKL boys from the Street Outlaws came to LA last week, and some Bay Area folks met up with them! Stay Tuned next season ;)

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
For me the most common .. its mustangs no doubt .... 2nd ricers 3rd corvettes but in the almost 4 years iv had my car only 2 new camaros and 2 older ones ... and id hate to say but only lost to 1 mustang but he had a SC beat all the camaros smoked all the vettes they could drive but lost atleast half of the races to the fkn ricers but all the ones i lost to had turbos

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Funny when I had the first car, a BB SE/G, everyone wanted to race but there were only a couple of us back in Sept. 08. Took on all with the little SE, which would catch and pass them especially if there was any CURVING in the roads! Then I got the PC R/T and guess its the color cause they seem to stay away, wha? Then put on SX hood NOW LEOs U-turn to follow me and make sure none want to race, LOL! But still the majority of street racing is Foxbody Rustangs, a few Macaros, but the traffic in DFW cuts a lot of the old fun out, get out of town much more fun!!;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Really..what I typically see is cars that have no business even thinkin about engaging me....most of the time its some beat up old maxima or a hetta or sometin..like u said..the focus is the funniest to me. I usually wont give anyone the buisness if im drivin 45 mph and the come flyin up past me haulin ass and then act like theyve done something. But....but...but...if a ss or a gt or anyone near my level wanna line up from a stop!!! They get the buisness end of it....lmao. yes they got a little more power and they lighter...but that doesnt always matter...ima make sure they know how to drive thier f#*n car. If they slip up any....ima eat em up!!! Not always about whats in front of the wheel...its about whos behind it! The only way I will let someone have it out there is if I think that there is a possibility that they could win.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Like Fame, I don't go out looking for a race but when someone provokes me I'm usually in if it's safe. My biggest peeve is when someone goes out of their way to get into a lane that has to merge into a single lane to get ahead of everyone. That's when I put them down. Even in my minivan I have beat cars much faster because the driver didn't expect it or screwed up. Challengers around here are mostly V6s and ricers know they can win so I will see them speeding up to me and meet at a light and then they figured out I'm an RT and mostly give up. I never had any Domestic vehicle challenge me yet, but I don't go looking for them either.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't street race as I did in my youth, but usually the ones that challenge me at a stop light are the piece of crap cars that don't have a chance. Probably junior driving mom's car or a piece of crap ricer with a weed whacker muffler. I just laugh at them. I bought my R/T and did a few minor mods just cause I enjoy the looks, acceleration and sound.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Smoked 2 SS's, SCORCHED a Eclipse. Diesel 2500, m3, X5 BMW truck, 07ish gt, couple others dnt remember only lost to a modded charger rt on DR while I spun.

Eyes on a vette and 5.0

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I have had exactly ZERO individuals try and engage me at a light.
If they had, well, I'm not a dumb a$$ 16 year old anymore and I don't act like one when I'm driving...

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have had exactly ZERO individuals try and engage me at a light.
If they had, well, I'm not a dumb a$$ 16 year old anymore and I don't act like one when I'm driving...
IDMT I appreciate your response and respect your stoicism behind the wheel...but I'm not an immature teenager either. :cool:

I mentioned in an earlier post that I haven't been "light challenged" either, save for a Charger jumping out on me without stating his intentions. I do not provoke anyone either, never have, never will. But yeah, it's fun for some of us to drag someone's a$$ (WHO HAD IT COMING!) sometimes.

Some do it at the track, some street and track, some not at all. I can't speak for everyone, but what I do is not a threat to public safety as I don't bob and weave in and out of traffic at high speed. It's always open highway or open freeway, and it's usually over quickly.

·
Registered
968 Posts
IDMT I appreciate your response and respect your stoicism behind the wheel...but I'm not an immature teenager either. :cool:
Don't mind him ^, he lets his immaturity out on the forums... en masse.

He knows damn well that 90% of the people here who would stoplight race do it safely and sanely. I don't even need to exceed the speed limit to win stoplight races in this town.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Plenty of v6 mustangs try to race me. There is an overpopulation of them around here. Most I don't bother with but occasionally I'll just get that feeling and go for it. Depends where I'm at and if the other driver is being respectful about it. I've put in too much work on this car to lose my license over a little drag in the middle of town.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
216 Posts
I only had one person want to race me off the light and he wanted to fight me when I wouldn't engage in a Cadillac CTS-V. A guy in a Mustang Boss revved his engine when I was at a light going the opposite way but I took it as a respect thing for having a muscle car. I don't pay attention to the idiot ricers that want to race me when they tailgate, when I'm in traffic and they want to weave in and out thinking they are in a real race.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts