Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A recent post (Shifter (6 Speed) Locks in Gear)in "Issues and Problems"details what I believe a questionable need for a clutch replacement by my dealer. I fully recognize that wear items such as clutches and brakes are not covered under warranty, especially with 30K on the car. Given that the dealer said the clutch was indeed shot (vs. Starr Case #S1021000004), I didn't have much choice but to have them replace it at significant expense. Considering how I drive the car and handle the clutch, this just isn't right.

Here's what I'd like to do:

I have the parts removed from the car. While I don't know the thickness of the material on the clutch plates when new, I strongly suspect there is hardly any wear. If I am correct, and the clutch did indeed need replacement, there's something else wrong with it not related to wear. I'd like to bring the parts to a Dodge representative to discuss this, or send them to someone at Dodge who would respond honestly.

I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know the material thickness of new clutch plates?
2. Does anyone know if Dodge has anyone, a department or a function to hear my concerns?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,675 Posts
Find a dealer who has a replacement in stock and take a micrometer and measure a new clutch disc. Take pictures of the dealers new parts and then ask the same mechanic to measure your disc and take pictures of your parts including your pressure plate. Do not give the parts to anyone, share pictures whether in a letter or email for comparison. Get an independent ASE certified mechanic to give an opinion and if it backs you up pay for a letter stating that opinion. You get the point, if you're loaded with info when you get the right ear listening to your issue you may get help, even if they split the bill with you. Call a dealer and ask for a number above entry level customer service.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I wish I had a contact for you, sadly I don't.

What I do have is advice for those reading along.

Service departments are kind of like Doctors... Sometimes it pays to get a second opinion before having any work done.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Although this is new to you, and I understand your being very upset, this problem has been discussed here many times (see archived threads on the subject). I'm not clear on your statement "I didn't have much choice but to have them replace it at significant expense". You then go on to state "here's what I'd like to do". At any rate you have the Star Case #, apparently you presented this to the rep, and got the "you need a clutch story" in response. In brief the story is; '09 thru sometime in 10 they used the wrong lube on the input shaft splines - it needs to be cleaned and the proper lube installed. If this dealership is not going to do this under the "Star Case Fix", you need to go to another dealership and present your case. If this is inconvenient for you, get on the phone to Chrysler and report your experience with the dealership (get the customer service number in advance and call them in front of the rep if possible). Had to do the Star case fix on my '09...no problem with my dealer. Referred a friend (2010 Challenger) to the same dealer...no problem. This is a WARRANTED FIX, they are going to get paid by Chrysler. This slime is trying to sell you a clutch job and will probably submit the "Star Fix" on top...ka ching $$$, dealer gets double labor on the job, AND an unnecessary clutch sale (more ka ching $$$). Just remember, you are right and the rep is wrong. He is trying to steal your money. Deal with him as if he just stole your wallet (and wants to have his way with your sister). DIG IN! Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I agree with 3 peddles it took me 5 trips to my dealer to get it fixed and they finally agreed to do the fix as per that same star case# but advised me if the plate was bad it would be on me.
Mine checked out ok and 65,000 KM's later still going strong I am willing to bet your problem is the same as everyone's and if they just did the job as per the case# it would do the trick for you.

Reactions: 3 peddles

·
Vendor
12,557 Posts
First thing first, do you have and can you post great pictures of the clutch, flywheel, disc, pressure plate??
A knowledgeable person can tell a lot by looking at good pictures, what's parts where replaced, list of parts, year and model of the Challenger, etc

Chrysler rep is not likely to go out against the word or recommendation of a dealer, they possibly will review it, however very little info, warranty on a clutch is 12/12, hence at 3ok, 18k beyond warranty

Luke

1 - 7 of 7 Posts