Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 56 Posts

· Registered
987 Posts
There's a lot of companies offering cams for the 392 Hemi, but it's hard to know who to choose. B Mason from YouTube has a cam that's offered through Peitz Performance. David Weber from MMX makes cams. HHP offers them. Comp Cams makes a stage 2 HRT kit that's supposed to be an excellent shelf grind that offers an 80hp gain from the cam alone. Texas Speed just started doing gen 3 Hemi cams. Jannetty Racing and Jay Greene do cams.

Who the hell do I go with??

I'm not looking so much for peak numbers, but for reduced 0-60's, more torque in the mid to high RPM range, minimal loss of low end torque and throttle response, and max possible gains throughout the entire power band, while maintaining good everyday drivability and not requiring a torque converter. I'm not even looking for an insane "chop." I don't care if its an NSR cam or not, I'm planning to pull the heads to upgrade the springs and delete the MDS hardware anyway.

It seems the two biggest companies in cams for the 392 are MMX and HHP. Anyone had experience with their cams?
Comp cams has some and I think Texas speed does as well. I’m looking into them but haven’t gathered much info yet either. One thing I’ve learned about this website is that any and every mod you can do is a waste of time and money and you should just stay stock. If you want it, do the homework and get it, lots of people on the internet have done cams with plenty of success.

· Registered
987 Posts
Oh yeah it's absolutely a waste of time and money. Most people, if they want more power, should probably just upgrade to the next trim level. Which I've thought about as well. It's hard to say no to a factory package like the Hellcat. But cammed NA cars are rare, cool beasts these days. Might be fun to have one, even though it would wreck the trade-in value.
Sorry, that was meant to be more sarcastic, I should have been more clear lol. Unfortunately what you see a lot on this website is a lot of people telling you not to waste your time which I find lame. I agree with you and I’m on the same page, I’d like something to be mine. I’m not looking to do mods because I’m trying to become a Hellcat, I would just like to build up the car I love. Mines just for fun because I can and if I can get into the 12’s (N/A in Colorado at 5700’) I will be very happy. I’m looking at learning some more along the way.

· Registered
987 Posts
There’s no right or wrong way. Sure you can stay stock. Sure you can upgrade trims. Sure it’s expensive. But is it a waste of time? I don’t think there’s a right answer to that. Some people aren’t after numbers and would rather build their own car as opposed to going factory upper trim. Some have the money for a hellcat but would rather build another trim. To tell someone what they should do is completely irrelevant. What may be a waste of time for someone may not be for another. Non challenger owners may say the same about our cars; why so much power, why so much for a two door etc.... to them it may be a waste to own a challenger. The point is to each their own. You can do whatever you want with your car. Leave subjective matter out of it and help guide fellow owners objectively.
We 100% agree.

Reactions: Mopar 19 SP

· Registered
987 Posts
That is awesome man. No I get it completely, tons of people saying don’t do this because it’s a waste of time and that may be for them but not for another. What I do like is when people give objective advise such as one part over another and the whys. That’s good stuff. Good luck on your build
Objectivity is something this world sorely lacks in 2020! Thanks! Would you mind PMing me the info you brought up earlier in this thread? I’m curious about what you went through.

· Registered
987 Posts
On a purely practical level, it's sort of a waste of time and money to mod your car, unless you have the disposable income and you're just having fun with it. Although, you could argue that you're making the car even more bulletproof and long-lasting by modding it with upgraded, tougher parts 😁 at least, that's what I tell the girlfriend 🤷‍♂️
Absolutely and I’m straight up with my wife she just says, “yikes” and moves about her day. I’m at the point in my life where I understand money is something that you can’t take with you. You work hard for it so spend it on something that brings you joy in your life.

· Registered
987 Posts
I had great luck with a Jay Greene Cam. Awesome customer service and an all around great guy. Long tubes, cam+springs, phaser locker, and dyno tune my M6 Scat Pack put down a conservative 484 HP and 463 TQ on 93 pump gas. I have it set up for drivability since it is a daily driver and didn't chase numbers. I max HP at 6.25k RPMs. I do have some ignition timing pulled when the active runner engages in the intake manifold, so I am considering going E85 to neutralize this. Sunoco GT260 (100 Octane) helps significantly, but even then, I still have a tiny amount pulled. This car is an absolute monster on the freeway, especially from 3rd to 4th gear, 40-120 mph.
Fantastic, thanks for your input! Good to see there are members who have done these swaps and achieved good results.

Reactions: xxdirtyjoexx

· Registered
987 Posts
That's what it's sounding like. I've seen MMX's max effort cams make 500-520 wheel, which is pretty great, but I wonder how much if any bottom end torque is lost there, what they're doing in the tune, street manners and drivability, etc.
Im curious of the same thing. Mine is not a daily driver but I don’t drive it like I stole it when I’m in it either, at least not all the time. So I’d like comfortable drivability while having a little more get up and go for when I decide to hit the track as I’m looking to get into the 12’s N/A. I need the 0-120, I’m never going to go 150 or 180 in the thing. God knows the last thing this car needs is more low end torque, smoothing that out a bit would be ideal.

· Registered
987 Posts
Lol, the low end torque is fun but it can easily overwhelm even 275's on the back, it needs at least 305's. Especially with how aggressive the first couple gears are in the A8 trans.

Our 392's should be able to do 12's from the factory. But if you have the M6 it may be harder to do.
It’s fun but leaving a stop sign and barely tapping the gas and having your head go back is hilariously too much lol, my wife thinks I do it on purpose. I’m like, I don’t, I swear, it’s just hard to have the right feel.

I’ll never see 12’s stock man, never. Colorado is a poo hole for many reasons and altitude is one of them. 13.6 on 245’s is my best, albeit I’ve only done 3 runs in the car and in my life lol. So for me to see 12’s at 5700’ I’m going to need some damn good air and some bolt-ons and at least 275 tires. I’d prefer not to change the rims, I really like them.

· Registered
987 Posts
Gotcha. Yeah that DA is never going to be friendly to you unfortunately. Forced air might actually work better up there.

I like those rims too but you really need wider rims and tires to hook better. They make Hellcat replica rims at least
Yeah, but I don’t want that headache. Everyone I’ve ever known who has supercharged or turboed anything just has issues. If I wanted that much power I would just trade the car in for a used Hellcat and be done with it.

I’ll think about the rims, I wanted to see what 275’s did for me first. If I can get to 12’s without changing rims, that would be ideal.

· Registered
987 Posts
Lol, makes me thankful I'm not married yet, all my girlfriend can do is scold or look at me disapprovingly.
Lol the right girl will eventually accept who you are. My wife has entered that territory and I have her right where I want her. 😂 She supports what I love and that’s what it should be.

Reactions: VNT and Spartan040

· Registered
987 Posts
Just tell her something broke or you're replacing it as preventative maintenance. My girlfriend doesn't know about my supercharger yet
Hahahaha this guy hid a 8K mod, that’s insane. “Honey, is your car way faster? Also what’s that whistling/whining sound?”

“Nothing babe, it’s just the wind and I’m pressing the pedal harder.”

1 - 12 of 56 Posts