Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my Challenger out of Michigan where they don't require a front license plate, and I hate to mess up the look of the front end by installing one.

Minnesota requires a front plate, but I'm going to run without it as long as I can get away with it. I had an '03 Cobra several years ago that I never installed a front plate on, and never had a problem. I'm not sure the Police bother to enforce this law and am wondering if anyone else out there is running without a front plate even though their state requires one.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
ohio requires front plates but i will never drill into the bumper of my Challenger, just pay the ticket every time ... on my Jeep i dont either but thats because there is a bull bar on there from the previous owner and that covers the stock holes. 6 years, no problem

·
Registered
474 Posts
I am in Texas where front plates are required but I do not run one on the Challenger and "knock wood" I will not get a stopped. I have heard, but do not know this for a fact, that unless the police have a reason to be suspicious of you they are not going to bother you if you do not have the front plate. If however the police stop you for some other reason they will zing you for it.

It is rare to see Corvettes, past gen Firebirds / Camaros, current gen Camaros, exotics, and even many SUVs with all composite bumpers to have front plates.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I don't run one

·
Registered
653 Posts
NJ requires one too but I'm not going to put it on. If they really want to bother me about it I'll just zip tie it on, but I will NEVER drill into the body. It just seems like a redundant thing to have since almost no one needs to identify a plate from the front.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Here in Houston I think I have only seen one Challenger with a front plate on, though I don't see many running around to begin with.

No front plate here and I have no intention of putting one on.

It does, however, give a cop a reason to pull you over if they want to hassle you so....if where you live the cops are tools then I could see it becoming an issue.

I know the day is coming when one of these stop sign humping constables gets wood over it, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

It's not a moving violation and if it costs me a few bucks here and there to leave it off I can live with that as seeing that one Challenger with it on made me cringe. It just doesn't look right imho.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Front license plates are required in Virginia and I don't have one on either of my Challengers.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Missouri requires front plates, but I haven't run one on my 2006 Charger since new, and I don't have on on my Challenger. Around here, they don't seem to bother you for no front plate unless you do something stupid that gets their attention.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I'm in VA as well, and unfortunately a high enforcement area with several localities trying to keep their heads above water on the backs of traffic offenders.

Fortunately, I don't personally think the front plate destroys the looks on the Challenger as it does on some cars. Especially if you have a cool vanity plate.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Here's my take on this, I don't like getting pulled over. I just don't. It ruins my day, my week, my month. That's just me, I know some people don't care...but I do. SO...here in NJ, I'm not gonna give them an excuse to do it. It hurt drilling the bumper, but I'm over it now. Thing is...I know one day I'm gonna be out with some buddies and have a beer or two.(I don't encourage this type of behavior nor does it happen often, but with dinner or lunch...) And that is the day Johnny law is gonna want to take a better look at my ride and guess what happens next. Is the "look" of your car gonna matter then? I think not...not for me anyway. It's a choice...and I've made mine.

·
Registered
190 Posts
California requires it (VC 5200) and I will probably mount it. Main reason it to cut down on the possiblity of getting stopped all the time. This state is in such bad shape they are looking for any reason to slap a fine you.

·
Banned
407 Posts
illinois requires one, i'll probably get one of those brackets that allow you to fold the plate under your car...and I'll keep it in the trunk with the reasoning that i just ripped it off on a curb.

i've run a few cars w/out fronts and havent had a huge problem, was issued a warning once in 9 years (at a "safety checkpoint") so i don't see it being a serious issue

·
Registered
31 Posts
Picked up my Challenger in VA and the dealer didn't even give me the mount... Only have three weeks here before I head to New Mexico, so unless something comes up I'm going to try and slide by.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
It really depends on how aggressive the local LEOs are in your area. I would never drill into the bumper as show and go plate holders make drilling unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Oregon requires it. Mine came with a front plate, which I removed and had a body shop fill in the holes.

The only time it's ever been noticed by law enforcement was after my accident. While they were hauling me off in the ambulance, another person who was involved in the accident overheard the cops joking that they should give me a ticket for not having a front plate... :indifferent:

·
Registered
812 Posts
No plate here. For those in RI only:

The law as written is pretty lenient even though two plates are required. Under 31-3-18(b), which is the law governing the use of two plates, the plate is only required to be in a horizontal securely fastened position at least 12" above the ground measured from the bottom of the plate and visible.

A very loose law as written. Use your imagination. I'm sure you can come up with something to circumvent the law and be legal without having to drill holes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
IL requires a front plate, but I'm not doing it. I didn't do it on my last car and made it 3 years with no hassles. I just picked up my Challenger last month and my plates came in on Monday. When I got them I stopped to say hello to the GM at the dealership and when he saw my plates in my hand he told me not to put the front plate on. Apparently this is up for a vote in the near future and they may no longer require a front plate.

Front plates never made sense to me. Look at all the states that don't require it. Kind of like Michigan is the only state that requires a $0.10 deposit on most beverage cans / bottles. If it was such a great idea, why wouldn't every state do that. (Yes I know a few states are $0.05 but the majority have no deposit. It's a huge win for the retailers.)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts