Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so not wanting to derail the 14 Shaker thread, which is doing an excellent job of keeping track of where these things are going, I will ask this question here.

Has anybody that has driven a Shaker, compared it to the R/T? Maybe somebody traded a recent model R/T for a new Shaker has this perspective and can relate any differences?

Is there a performance gain? How is the intake sound? Or maybe it's all just ascetics? (If so, that's cool too )

Just curious. Should I lust after one? But then again, there are some Core's lurking out there. :browsmiley:

·
Registered
4,434 Posts

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
It has a notable intake sound, matched with the 6-speed exhaust theres a nice balance. Looking at the factory shaker setup, looks like they added a resonator chamber to the intake tube?

Over the weekend driving with the windows down, while accelerating your in the middle of this lovely sound.

I seriously doubt I will want to make my exhaust any louder. I prefer not to advertise where I am and what I'm doing to the people that write tickets.

:guiness::guiness::guiness:

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
It has a notable intake sound, matched with the 6-speed exhaust theres a nice balance. Looking at the factory shaker setup, looks like they added a resonator chamber to the intake tube?
Yeah I can't believe that put the silencer back on there, let the motor talk like it should!!!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I'm guessing the intake sound is from the Mopar CAI they have on the shakers. I didn't know they ever took the airtube silencer out...but agree it shouldn't be there on the shaker models.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Over the weekend driving with the windows down, while accelerating your in the middle of this lovely sound.

I seriously doubt I will want to make my exhaust any louder. I prefer not to advertise where I am and what I'm doing to the people that write tickets.

How about a quick video clip???

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Save $$$$

Get an "after market hole" for far cheaper. But, if you can afford a "Shaker," you can probably afford a Core or slightly used SRT. Why not get an additional 100 HP and 60 foot pounds of torque? I'd take "brembos" over a "hole" any day. You can look cool, while losing to an SS or 5.0 in your "shaker," or you can beat them in your Core. You can add a Cervini Shaker and Katskin seat covers later.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
It's a bulge that shakes, that's about it! No special horsepower tricks here. People buy it for the nostaglia or simply the look. I thought it looks good but it's not worth the money. I've come to love and accept my stock R/T hood with the functional hood scoops.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
But everyone who cares about power ...tunes

I believe the car was retuned for the shaker.. this clip does not show you a shaker but it tells you with the cold air intake they have been retuned so my impression the shake would be retuned also..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJDeJSlZYJ8
Tuners and aftermarket shakers beat a SCAT are far cheaper. Get a Core.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
The shape of the "Shaker" hood looks....

...remarkably like the "Bridge" of the USS Enterprise (Starship).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Let me try again...

hopefully I get it right....

Yep. Same general shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Get an "after market hole" for far cheaper. But, if you can afford a "Shaker," you can probably afford a Core or slightly used SRT. Why not get an additional 100 HP and 60 foot pounds of torque? I'd take "brembos" over a "hole" any day. You can look cool, while losing to an SS or 5.0 in your "shaker," or you can beat them in your Core. You can add a Cervini Shaker and Katskin seat covers later.
I bought one. I could have purchased the 392, but loved the look of the Shaker right away and to be honest, I don't really race. I drive for me and the Shaker is plenty enough power for me. If I wanted to race and win, I'd probably get another car. This to me is more of a fun driving experience. I'm older now and no longer feel that competitive fire to race and win. I just want to enjoy a nice cruise with a boost here and there while listening to Bach and Slayer.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I bought one. I could have purchased the 392, but loved the look of the Shaker right away and to be honest, I don't really race. I drive for me and the Shaker is plenty enough power for me. If I wanted to race and win, I'd probably get another car. This to me is more of a fun driving experience. I'm older now and no longer feel that competitive fire to race and win. I just want to enjoy a nice cruise with a boost here and there while listening to Bach and Slayer.
Damm, I couldn't have said that better myself.

I was on the fence for 3 years, nothing got me too jump until this shaker. I was not interested in a SRT or the core, do not need the extra HP let alone pay $1,000 gas guzzler fee to boot. Money was not the issue. Just wanted a nice road trip car. And like you said, if you wanted to race then I would have looked at something 500 lbs lighter than a Challenger. 500 lbs of pork sucks up a lot of HP.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Damm, I couldn't have said that better myself.

I was on the fence for 3 years, nothing got me too jump until this shaker. I was not interested in a SRT or the core, do not need the extra HP let alone pay $1,000 gas guzzler fee to boot. Money was not the issue. Just wanted a nice road trip car. And like you said, if you wanted to race then I would have looked at something 500 lbs lighter than a Challenger. 500 lbs of pork sucks up a lot of HP.

And that was 3 years of your life, that you could have had a shaker and enjoyed an RT or any other model with it, and paid less to boot; but, I digress. And, yes, I know.......you wanted a factory one. :sleep: Drive an aftermarket shaker car and a factory one and you can't tell the difference. They all operate the same. :browsmiley:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts