Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Challenger S/P , runs the 1/4 in the very high 11's with mids deleted, hellcat CAI ,and 305/45/r18 M/T ET street R radials on the rear ,Well, i finally dropped $1200 on the Diablosport Trinity 2 EX Platinum tuner and a jailbroke PCM. The Kit arrived Friday 7/24/2020. I spent the next 6 hours trying to update that thing. First i downloaded the installer from Diablo but it never recognized the tuner. Second method was to update via WiFi, after scanning for my routers signal, a good 3 feet away, no less than 20 times, it found it, i entered the password, it took it, i am 1 happy guy, click the update icon, got a dang error message saying that there are is no WiFi signal, everything else found it. did this till 2 or three a.m. making connections 7 or 8 times.Nobody in that company works after 5 or on weekends. next morning ,follow instructions step by step over and over. Then it happened, my laptop connected with it and it updated. followed instructions by downloading stock PCM data then swapped PCM and i was ready to give that 93 octane tune they advertise so heavily. but wait, there is a " diablo tune" the " Diablo 91 octane tune" the " custom tune". absolutely nothing on any instructions or in any manual or video or on there site anywhere will you find any instructions about the 93 octane tune. my son found a youtube videoby R/T LIFE a year or two old and during the video he went to the diablo shop and asked about it, they said, "the diablo tune is the 93 octane tune". so i get back in the car and install it, all seemed great, it said we are done. started it up and started driving and i noticed i no longer have satallite radio, or navigation, or drive modes , or srt pages. went back home , plugged it back in , and it said that i needed to update it before i could continue,,,,your kidding me, i tried to update it for a couple hours and decided to plug it back in to make sure. now it says, this is the wrong car, i can only use it on a car with some crazy ass vin number, tried several time and it said to remove it because i am using it on the wrong car....i will be calling at 6 this morning and i will let ya know what happens..

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,433 Posts
Part of that sounds like some bugs in their software that they didn’t fully flesh out before releasing to the market, and the other part sounds like the vagaries of having to use a jail-broke PCM.

The former part is absolutely within DS’s control and should not be “a thing” customers have to deal with. The latter part is precisely how Dodge wants it - the more trouble it is, the less likely people are to try it - and not wholly within DS’s control.

Now, that’s not to say DS couldn’t have produced a more useful manual or set of instructions for the PCM stuff, but if I was them, I would take customer experiences like yours and use it to help improve the product I’m selling. Make the instructions more clear, provide some example YouTube videos, etc. The list of possible improvements is long.

Whether or not they’ll take advantage of your input remains to be seen, but we can hope, right...

Reactions: texman1970

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,781 Posts
Honestly if you plan on tuning yourself, HP tuners is a way better option. They recently were running a promotion where the unlock service ($250 value) was free with purchase of the MPVI2 or 6 credits (2 for PCM and 4 for TCM).

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Honestly, and not to be stepping on anyone's toes, but if following relatively simple instructions on how to backup and install a canned tune lead to this much confusion, I don't think it would be a good plan to attempt self-tuning.

In your original post you made reference to "followed instructions by downloading stock PCM data then swapped PCM." I don't know if it's even possible on a newer car to backup the stock tune from the locked PCM, but that's what it sounds like you did. Then you installed the unlocked PCM and put the canned tune on it. If this is possibly what happened, it explains the reason that the tuner thinks your attempting to install on a different vehicle since the backup tune doesn't match the current PCM. I'm just speculating here because my 2012 doesn't require an unlocked PCM in order to tune it. I've had a Diablosport tune on it for 3yrs now and have installed and removed it several times as I remove it prior to taking it in for service and I have never had a problem. I also have a Hemifever pro tune as I know my limitations and would never attempt to tune the car myself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, i got hold of the folks at diablosport and here is what happen. They told me to access the tuner via file viewer because there is obviously something wrong with the updater download online. The tuner itself has the older version of the updater download.and when i accessed it that way, it updated fine. the reason it would not work on WiFi and said it was installed on the wrong car is because it was married with the imaginary car vin they use in the demo mode. So when i watched the Demo to make sure i did things correctly, the tuner thought it was really hooked up to a car. The guy at Diablo listen to my problems without interruption and he said it sounded like i did things correctly, he had me access a key code on the tuner and that is when he told me the tuner tried tuning itself. he gave me a code to enter in the tuner and i went and did the exact same thing i did originally and all went well. i have my satellite radio, SRT pages and it sure feels like more HP. i will take it to the track this weekend and post slips. i also had it on the Dyno 2 weeks ago and i will take it back to the same place this week and post them too so everyone can see the numbers instead of my opinion. It sucked i had problems with the tuner, but Diablo did seem to care and corrected it, nobodies perfect i guess.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Great!! Glad you got that worked out.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Honestly if you plan on tuning yourself, HP tuners is a way better option. They recently were running a promotion where the unlock service ($250 value) was free with purchase of the MPVI2 or 6 credits (2 for PCM and 4 for TCM).

You have the actual link for this? I looked at the sticky post and it only shows a screenshot of the info. Looked at hp tuners site and see nothing either.
Text Font Technology Screenshot

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,781 Posts
Check their PCM modification link.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Check their PCM modification link.

View attachment 1000982

Thanks. Now this brings up another question. How do they expect a copy of the current stock tune if the ecu isnt cracked or having the software to read it out?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,781 Posts
You buy the MPVI2 and when you receive it you read the tune. PCM does not have to be cracked to read a tune...only write.

·
Registered
745 Posts
This is from the link you sent.
"Each MPVI2, RTD or 6 Universal Credits purchase earns ONE free Dodge PCM Modification Service. To qualify, add both products to your shopping cart and your total will automatically update. Please carefully follow the correct steps to send in your PCM for Modification to prevent any delays. "
so if i buy the mpvi2 they send me it, then i copy the stock tune and send the pcm back with it. Correct? Just trying to figure it out before pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,781 Posts
When you get the MPVI2, you read your current PCM stock tune and then "upload" the read to HP tuners when you send out your PCM for unlock.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Thanks. Any recommendations on a laptop? I want to get a dedicated one just for the car.
I would recommend something small and powefull

My buddy got a small tubing laptop for his Evo IX and you just gotta make sure it's got a good amount of ram and a half decent processor, I would focused on something that has good battery life too and is a small screen

Man, unfortunately these Diablo bugs is what drive me away too. I have a t1000 that , although worked as intended, was just buggy. I don't think Diablo has re-worked any of their interfaces since windows vista. The damn USB driver was so slow to recognize, I had her plugged in for about 3 hours before the computer recognized it

Went with a Dyno shop that uses HP, I let them do all the fiddling and I couldn't be happier

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,781 Posts
I have been using an old, heavy HP elite book (i7-2620M cpu and 16gb ram) along with a fusion 5 win 10 notepad (use it mostly for logging as the HP is bulky and a battery hog). I use the HP more to analyze and tweak the tunes because of the keyboard and bigger display.

·
Registered
18' SRT392 A8 F8 w/sepia
46 Posts
I really want a tuner and tune, but I am seriously low tech. Stories like this sound frustrating. Makes me hesitant to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,781 Posts
I really want a tuner and tune, but I am seriously low tech. Stories like this sound frustrating. Makes me hesitant to pull the trigger.
This is not the frustrating part...frustration comes from DIY tuning. If you have a pro tune it, all you do is log and flash files. If you have a pre-2014 no need to send out the PCM for unlock. However if you have a +2015 you need to send out the PCM for modification. If you have a +2018 you also need to install a bypass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts