Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, when I bought my 2015 SRT, I only got one key fob from the dealer that I bought it from, 2000 miles away. I bought a "slightly used" fob on eBay, and had it programmed by the local dealer. Now, it remote starts the car, locks/unlocks the doors and trunk, and when I walk up to the car, the doors and trunk will open with the sensors detecting my presence.

The only part that doesn't work is the start button on the dash once I get in. It says that the fob is not detected. The dealer says that means the fob is bad, but that seems weird to me. Are the proximity sensors that detect the fob in the car different, or communicate differently than the ones that can tell I have the fob on my when I walk up to the car and use the door handles? They have no problem detecting the fob. This seems weird. My original fob has no issues, just the "new" one.

I can use the fob, if I push the button with the tip of the fob itself, like the emergency start procedure states. I don't want to have to do that. I can send the fob back for an exchange, but I don't want to pay another $65 for the dealership to program it, especially if they aren't really trying to make it work. They haven't been very helpful with any of the issues I've had with the car, and would rather just get the $225 they charge for a new fob. They didn't even test the fob after they programmed it. They just applied the program, and that should be good enough, right? They acted like I was wasting their time when I brought it back, but I told them I wouldn't have had to if they had actually tested it when they charged me for the programming.

Anyone with experience or knowledge on how these work have any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
That's strange since it recognizes the FOB when you touch it to the start button. My R/Ts would occasionally have the same FOB not detected but I would just push in the clutch harder and it would work. So I figured it was a switch not activated problem.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, it's pretty strange. When it first happened, I didn't know the trick to push the button with the fob, and I ended up pulling a couple fuses under the hood for a minute or so, and got back in the car, and it fired right up. Once.

Does sensor that recognizes that the fob is inside the car use a different identifier than the sensors that unlock the doors when you insert your hand under the exterior door handle? Both door handles and the trunk button activate correctly every single time.

It's almost as if there is some additional security that is needed for the start button to function correctly, and that didn't get programmed by the dealer, or the sensors on the inside of the car require a MUCH stronger signal to recognize the fob.

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty strange. When it first happened, I didn't know the trick to push the button with the fob, and I ended up pulling a couple fuses under the hood for a minute or so, and got back in the car, and it fired right up. Once.

Does sensor that recognizes that the fob is inside the car use a different identifier than the sensors that unlock the doors when you insert your hand under the exterior door handle? Both door handles and the trunk button activate correctly every single time.

It's almost as if there is some additional security that is needed for the start button to function correctly, and that didn't get programmed by the dealer, or the sensors on the inside of the car require a MUCH stronger signal to recognize the fob.
I really can't help you other than to tell my nerve racking experience with my 2013...There are definitely different sensors in the car.

On a cold 5* morning, I remotely started my car to warm it up. Come out and the door button pops up to let me in. After stepping on the brake pedal several times and pressing the start button, the button wasn't recognizing the FOB. I go back inside and get my other FOB. I try again, and now the car thinks I'm trying to steal it. Burglar alarms goes off. Now what?? So I'm pressing buttons on the FOB..Locks go up and down, the trunk opens. I then press the panic button, and now the burglar alarm is beeping twice as fast. If I had a gun at that moment, I would have shot that car. Finally, I pressed the start button on the FOB, and everything shut off. I got in, it started as normal, and never gave me any problems after that. Weird.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds like fun. I haven't set off an alarm yet, but it is definitely frustrating.

I'm sure there are different sensors, in order to tell where the fob is, so it allows the right action to take place, but does the interior sensor require a different frequency from the fob than the exterior sensors, or a stronger signal? Those two things are really the only things that could explain what I'm experiencing, sensor-wise.

Other than that, it could possibly also be a specific security setting in the car itself, that isn't allowing the start function with the signal it is receiving from the fob.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I played with the "new" fob today, and discovered that if I put the fob inside the drink holders, the start button works. It must have a really weak antenna.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts