Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Vendor
12,072 Posts
Dang, thats impressive!

I realize our cars will probably never be on the level of a 1LE Camaro or a Shelby GT350 (I've driven one, it's sweet) when it comes to cornering, they're just too large and heavy for that. But that's fine, they can get more than close enough for what I need my car for, and I think they're the best looking of the bunch.
the Camaro is not much lighter then we are
last year before I went on a major diet, Bigred weighted 3980, full fuel

WEIGHTS & CAPACITIES

Curb Weight
(lb. / kg):
3883 / 1761 (coupe w/manual)
3944 / 1789 (coupe w/automatic)
4113 / 1866 (conv. w/manual)
4148 / 1882 (conv. w/automatic)
3820 / 1732 (ZL1 1LE – est.)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Nittos are not very good for autox, for the best autox tires Potenzas, Rival s 1.5, however the issue is sizing, very few sizes available, most autox sanctioning body will require 200 threadwear tires, and very good 200 tw tires are not good daily driving tires, wear very quickly

best to be square, ie all 4 corners same size and same tire or at least same brand and model

Luke

Gotchya. Ill mostly be running this time as a baseline for myself since i dont want to swap all of my tires (front are still good). Next time around i have something special in store, i found a pretty sweet deal on some hankook f2000 slicks that ill have an a new set of wheels. Currently also trying to run 10’s in the front to square my setup but doing that on an R/T is seemingly difficult. Thanks for the tips

·
Vendor
12,072 Posts
Gotchya. Ill mostly be running this time as a baseline for myself since i dont want to swap all of my tires (front are still good). Next time around i have something special in store, i found a pretty sweet deal on some hankook f2000 slicks that ill have an a new set of wheels. Currently also trying to run 10’s in the front to square my setup but doing that on an R/T is seemingly difficult. Thanks for the tips
you better have conversion with who ever you will be competing with, nearly all sanctioning body require a 200 threadwear tire, a slick will most likely get you dq

Luke:wink3:

·
Vendor
12,072 Posts
If your with SCCA you can run slicks, it will just bump you up to E Street Prepared class. But most other sanctioning bodies don't allow them.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
I'm a member of SCCA, however I find their rule book, cumbersome, complicated and extreme.....prefer to compete under NASA and of course USCA, big fan of HPDE and AI with NASA

Luke

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
ps thats road racing stuff....

I kind if figured, but I thought it might give me a leg up in autoX, but i dont want to be dq’ed before i start

I do want to do road racing as well, but im thinking autoX is s good way just to get my bearings. I’ve had many people tell me it’s a way different experience though....much more expensive to run a day on a road course, high mph turn in , and of course you’re not just hitting cones

·
Vendor
12,072 Posts
I kind if figured, but I thought it might give me a leg up in autoX, but i dont want to be dq’ed before i start

I do want to do road racing as well, but im thinking autoX is s good way just to get my bearings. I’ve had many people tell me it’s a way different experience though....much more expensive to run a day on a road course, high mph turn in , and of course you’re not just hitting cones
we all start somewhere, and in a Challenger is probably not the place to start......:grin2:

too big, too heavy, cumbersome, lack of parts, name it......but I would rather finish second in one then win in a Musrat......>:)

·
Vendor
12,072 Posts
on and off been playing with an old Dart I plan on racing in NASA American Iron
Luke

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
we all start somewhere, and in a Challenger is probably not the place to start......:grin2:

too big, too heavy, cumbersome, lack of parts, name it......but I would rather finish second in one then win in a Musrat......>:)

Yeah absolutely , not the best platform lol. I don’t think that’ll stop me from raising some eyebrows though

Thanks Luke!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I'm a member of SCCA, however I find their rule book, cumbersome, complicated and extreme.....prefer to compete under NASA and of course USCA, big fan of HPDE and AI with NASA

Luke
Speaking of SCCA...any chance you'll be at the Time Trial Nationals at NCM in September?

·
Vendor
12,072 Posts
Speaking of SCCA...any chance you'll be at the Time Trial Nationals at NCM in September?

not likely, trying to get ready for RA and NOLA later in the year, will probably spend time at VIR and Dominion

most people do not know, but I shelved Bigred for a while.....my spouse of 35 years has been struggling with health issues for the past year and priorities in my life changed drastically.......now that she is recovering and doing really well getting ready to finish putting Bigred back together

new 426 is here

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Luke,
You know we're all interested in your progress with Big Red, but it's much more important to hear that your wife is doing well. I'm sure I speak for everyone on this forum when I ask that you give her our best wishes for a complete recovery.

Paul

·
Registered
44 Posts
Anyone here autocross their Challenger, or take it to a curvy track or mountain roads instead of the drag strip every now and then? I'm curious to hear what the experience has been like with different trim levels, from the SXT to the R/T, Scat Pack, and SRT models. For those of you who've owned one of the other main competitors (Mustang or Camaro), how does it compare?
Last weekend I took my 2015 R/T Plus (5.7, 6 speed manual) to Sonoma for the performance driving stage 1 school. It was freaking awesome! The car performed much better than I'd anticipated, particularly with the tires I'd installed, factory size OHTSU tires. I think I'm hooked!

·
Premium Member
2,409 Posts
Best time i ever experienced was with a group of us Challenger owners her in Texas back in 2013. Winding (with much speed) around twisty turning roads. I had never had that much fun before or after... :D

·
Vendor
12,072 Posts
and we are on the dyno, doing run ups, and working fuel trims, as soon as we know where we are, replacement pulleys will be ordered and over nighted

61 - 78 of 78 Posts