Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found the stripes I want but installers are quoting $800+ for just the install, yikes.

anyone installed 3M 7125, Avery SC950 or 3M 1080? All 3 are an option, I’m looking at a full length bumper to bumper stripe. $1200 for them is a bit steep so I’m wondering if I can just do it or if I’m risking throwing away almost $500 in vinyl. Help!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Ive done smaller applications up to rear spoiler size, including some clear bra myself. Most of it applies the same, but there are subtle differences from one manf to another, and preferences, such as what type of float you want use, etc. I'd suggest you watch as many youtube vids as you can find, often a whole 20 min vid will yield just 1 good tip, but a valuable one and it lets you see how the pros do it. then practice with some with similar materials. You can normally find small sections of automotive grade stuff on amazon for a few $$. I get my float supplies from dollar tree and youll want an extra set of hands or two for doing large pieces such as stripes. Its not terribly hard to do, but as in many things in life, practice is in order, there is certainly a learning curve ( dont be surprised if your 1st few attemps come out all jacked up) and of course prep is everything. Good luck.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I tried on my SRT8 a few years ago. Never again. I ruined one of the hood stripes. I paid my window tint guy to do them. I think he charged me $250? And I left the car with him all week. $800. Labor seems a bit much.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive done smaller applications up to rear spoiler size, including some clear bra myself. Most of it applies the same, but there are subtle differences from one manf to another, and preferences, such as what type of float you want use, etc. I'd suggest you watch as many youtube vids as you can find, often a whole 20 min vid will yield just 1 good tip, but a valuable one and it lets you see how the pros do it. then practice with some with similar materials. You can normally find small sections of automotive grade stuff on amazon for a few $$. I get my float supplies from dollar tree and youll want an extra set of hands or two for doing large pieces such as stripes. Its not terribly hard to do, but as in many things in life, practice is in order, there is certainly a learning curve ( dont be surprised if your 1st few attemps come out all jacked up) and of course prep is everything. Good luck.
thanks! I was watching a bunch last night and they make it look so damn easy.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried on my SRT8 a few years ago. Never again. I ruined one of the hood stripes. I paid my window tint guy to do them. I think he charged me $250? And I left the car with him all week. $800. Labor seems a bit much.
$250? I’ll have to keep calling around. I had a detail shop do my Camaro a few years ago and they did such a bad job they had to buy me new ones and do them again. It ended up free but I think they wanted $100 just to do some hash marks.

·
Vendor
11,829 Posts
Found the stripes I want but installers are quoting $800+ for just the install, yikes.

anyone installed 3M 7125, Avery SC950 or 3M 1080? All 3 are an option, I’m looking at a full length bumper to bumper stripe. $1200 for them is a bit steep so I’m wondering if I can just do it or if I’m risking throwing away almost $500 in vinyl. Help!
1080 is high quality, but can be difficult to install, not for beginners

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1080 is high quality, but can be difficult to install, not for beginners
what about the others with a wet install? It’s one large stripe and an additional side stripe that’s attached to the same backing and pre-spaced.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I did my hood stripes and spoiler blackout but they weren't anything too big so definitely a DIY. Bigger stuff I would probably be hesitant to do myself, mess it up and be out the cost of the vinyl.

But just for my hood stripes a local guy said 3 hours for about $400. Felt that was ridiculous as I did it in an hour and that was probably with 40 minutes of lining things up over and over again. Looks fine to me. No bubbles either as they all dissipated on their own.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did my hood stripes and spoiler blackout but they weren't anything too big so definitely a DIY. Bigger stuff I would probably be hesitant to do myself, mess it up and be out the cost of the vinyl.

But just for my hood stripes a local guy said 3 hours for about $400. Felt that was ridiculous as I did it in an hour and that was probably with 40 minutes of lining things up over and over again. Looks fine to me. No bubbles either as they all dissipated on their own.
Yeah, that’s how I feel, full stripes is very scary. Kinda sucks, I’d rather not pay someone $1,200 for something stupid. It adds zero value outside of my small amount of enjoyment but I really want them at the same time. Lame.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Oh I know. I had to have them. Adds some uniqueness IMO. There are so many cool stripe kits out there. I watched a whole bunch of videos and also bought some cheap stripe kits off ebay and just used to those to practice on my hood. I would do it and then peel them off right away. I used the wet hinge method.

Don't know if I'd try entire full body stripes but if you think about it's one section at a time. Hard part I think will be making sure everything lines up from front to back.

Just keep checking around for other shops. $1200 is overpriced IMO.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh I know. I had to have them. Adds some uniqueness IMO. There are so many cool stripe kits out there. I watched a whole bunch of videos and also bought some cheap stripe kits off ebay and just used to those to practice on my hood. I would do it and then peel them off right away. I used the wet hinge method.

Don't know if I'd try entire full body stripes but if you think about it's one section at a time. Hard part I think will be making sure everything lines up from front to back.

Just keep checking around for other shops. $1200 is overpriced IMO.
yeah, I mean the center of the car is the same if you measure off the lines on the roof, hood and trunk. But one small screw up makes the whole car look stupid lol.

It was $1200 for them to cut the stripes and use their own material with the install and $700 for only the install if I buy my own. I can buy the stripes for $350-450 online depending on the material I choose.

·
Registered
160 Posts
yeah, I mean the center of the car is the same if you measure off the lines on the roof, hood and trunk. But one small screw up makes the whole car look stupid lol.

It was $1200 for them to cut the stripes and use their own material with the install and $700 for only the install if I buy my own. I can buy the stripes for $350-450 online depending on the material I choose.
Ah I see. Misread, thought it was 1200 just for install. Well, considering local guy for me wanted 400 for what I felt were "easy" hood stripes, thinking 700 for front to back may not be too bad. Can think of it this way, if you try it yourself and mess it up then you'll end up paying more than 1200 total.

But I would still shop around some. Most body shops if they don't do it themselves have someone they contract out to.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah I see. Misread, thought it was 1200 just for install. Well, considering local guy for me wanted 400 for what I felt were "easy" hood stripes, thinking 700 for front to back may not be too bad. Can think of it this way, if you try it yourself and mess it up then you'll end up paying more than 1200 total.

But I would still shop around some. Most body shops if they don't do it themselves have someone they contract out to.
Yeah I’m doing that now. 3 shops today told me absolutely not they won’t install 3rd party stripes. The first 2 quoted me $1200+ and then one randomly said they could do it for $375 installed (with their vinyl) which made me nervous as hell. I’ll just keep calling around!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,364 Posts
Are you talking to vinyl sign type installers? Like ads for business type? It may just be a vinyl install to them, not body shop work

A Guy

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you talking to vinyl sign type installers? Like ads for business type? It may just be a vinyl install to them, not body shop work

A Guy
Ive called a lot of different types and a lot say we don’t do 3rd party installs.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Buy the vinyl you want. Get some knifeless tape. Get an idea of what you want by using some painters blue tape. Put the knifeless tape down and start laying your vinyl. It just takes a little patience. I did the stripes on my Camaro and my Scat Pack.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
that looks fantastic! Mine would be a kit, it looks like you did full sheets? I’m just worried about all the lines on the hood being hard to work the bubbles out.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts