Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get new wheels and the ones I chose are only available in 8.5 front 10.5 rear. I want to go as wide a tire as possible on both. I was hoping to go with the 275/40 on the front as the diameter is nearly identical to the that of the rear tire. I want to use Nitto NT05's and the site says MINIMUM wheel width is 9". I have seen a few posts on other sites of guys that have done it on Camaros and I think a few Mustangs but haven't had any input on any Challengers. They are saying it is physically possible but that it will compromise handling and tire wear. I was hoping for some pics and some real first hand input from someone that is using or has tried this set up. I know a lot of guys are saying Nittos run "small" but Nitto still sets there recommendation at 9" min. I don't race the car...I drive it spirited but not overly....I don't want it to look odd or be loose in curves but I want to fill the wheel well and have it look mean and wide. Hoping to get some first hand input and pics!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Your SRT looks great and the wheels you want should be a nice addition. However, I would never put tires on that exceed the min rating for width. Lots people on this site have done just that and I think it can look horrible if you go too extreme. I'm sure handling is compromised as well as longevity. It's your car and your choice, and I'm just throwing out something to consider. Good luck and post up some pix when you are done!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
You will need to make sure the offset on the 20x8.5 fronts is adequate enough for the wider 275s no to rub.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm running 274/40/20 on rear only.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have that set up on my car right now.
Renfrick do you have any pics you could post to show me what it looks like? What tires are you running...the NT05's? Did you notice any negligible difference from the stock size tires to the 275 on the 8.5 wheel? How is tire wear? What tires are you running on the rear?

Thanks for your input/help!

Gary

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
I wouldn't mount a 275 tire on an 8.5" wheel. You may be able to squeeze it on, but the tire will nor perform or wear properly.

Why not go "old school' and have a 245 on the front and a 275 on the rear? That would look cool, just like the old Challenger T/As.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts