Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright this question really doesn't apply to the Challenger, it's Charger-only as far as i know, but the Yahoos over on the Charger forum are proving to be quite useless. So I'm hoping someone here has the requisite knowledge to help. (And i hate it when others post "emergency.." With their posts, but this really is one. I've got to go back on the road tomorrow for lots of hours of driving, and i need to resolve this asap.)

I've got the base audio 4.3 (uConnect?) h/u in my 2012, and it just crapped the bed. No display whatsoever. All HVAC control is lost now too, which really stinks because default settings appear to be max heat with blower on.

I can live without the ability to turn on the a/c for a while, despite being in the middle of a Texas summer, but to have it actively blowing the heater at me too is just unbearable.

I've sourced a replacement 4.3 h/u from another Pursuit and plan on swapping them out, but i seem to remember something about it not being that easy. Something about needing the VIN from donor car to make it work?

If that's the case, it's not a problem, ill have that, but how is it used? Does a dealership service dep't need to update the VIN for me or something?

Anyone who helps gets 2 ice cold Mich Ultra Lime and Prickly Pear beers for their troubles. Yes, i know that doesnt sound appetizing, that's why i won't drink them. But, hey, it's still free beer!

·
Registered
192 Posts
My understanding is that the original VIN is the key to getting the Unlock Code at the dealer - probably not free.
Also rumored the Unlock Code is supplied but often lost...

·
Registered
583 Posts
The charger forums have always been useless. If you want info , facts, data ,etc....the only real forum is lx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My understanding is that the original VIN is the key to getting the Unlock Code at the dealer - probably not free.
Alright, thanks for the info...although that does fill me with dread now. That means I get to spend 7 hours driving that car today with no A/C until I even have the opportunity to get some relief.

I at least figured out I could pull the relay for the blower motor to stop the heater from adding to my misery. I suppose that’s a win of some sort...

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Although....do you know what the unlock code actually gets you? Is it just the ability to operate the radio/stereo functionality?

If that’s the case, I’m golden. I can live without sound for now. What I need is the ability to control the HVAC system again. If I swap those units and the stereo is locked but I can engage the A/C and control the temperature, that’s all I need right now. :unsure:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used this site, successfully: https://www.ivgsoft.com/

Mine was $10.00 for the code. They dont need the VIN of the donor vehicle, just the serial number of the radio you are installing.

You can put the serial number in their site to make sure they can get it, then pay by PayPal. I had mine within 10 minutes of payment and it was the correct code. I did have the donor VIN, but figured 10 bux was better spent there than dealing with any dealer near me.

I recently went from RA3 to RA4 in my RAM, and once the radio powered up, all I had was the screen to input the code. Not the same as your head unit, but it wouldnt surprise me if there is no control until that code is input.

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used this site, successfully: https://www.ivgsoft.com/

Mine was $10.00 for the code. They dont need the VIN of the donor vehicle, just the serial number of the radio you are installing.

You can put the serial number in their site to make sure they can get it, then pay by PayPal. I had mine within 10 minutes of payment and it was the correct code. I did have the donor VIN, but figured 10 bux was better spent there than dealing with any dealer near me.

I recently went from RA3 to RA4 in my RAM, and once the radio powered up, all I had was the screen to input the code. Not the same as your head unit, but it wouldnt surprise me if there is no control until that code is input.
Cool, thanks for the link. I have to wait until Wednesday before I can do the swap, so I get to endure no A/C for a few more days and then I can try the h/u swap.

<just think cool thoughts>

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,552 Posts
Just imagine you are driving a Prius...and hell has frozen over :)

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,604 Posts
Why not pull the fuse for the heater blower? I know you still want and will fix it, but just as a "stop gap" until the parts come in.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,552 Posts
I at least figured out I could pull the relay for the blower motor to stop the heater from adding to my misery. I suppose that’s a win of some sort...
Why not pull the fuse for the heater blower? I know you still want and will fix it, but just as a "stop gap" until the parts come in.

A Guy

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let set the scene for you. It was last Saturday during the heat of the day, and I had just headed back to Dallas thinking,”if I drive fast enough, the heater blowing on me won’t matter.

20 miles later I screech to halt in a roadside park along I-20, all sweaty and madder than a wet hen. I pop the trunk and unload about 200 lbs worth of stuff so I can pull the spare tire well cover up and start looking for the fuse to pull that will stop the heater.

10 long minutes later I find the one, THE one, and pull it. Alright, now load all the crap back in and resume trip, right? WRONG!!

I get back in the car and go to fire it up, but nothing. Not even a chime. It was at that point that I lost it and let out a guttural “REALLY?!?! WEEELL F#$K YOU!,

It was at that point that other people in the roadside park started expediting their rest breaks, packing up their children and pets, and leaving...in droves...quickly.

I calmly (from all outward appearances) got back out, emptied the trunk yet again, replaced the fuse previously pulled, and then started studying the fuse box cover. I had about 35 seconds before I was going to murder a car, 45 tops. I finally saw a relay labeled HVAC blower or something, so I yanked that puppy and tried again...slowly.

Pushed key FOB HARD against Start button: Ding!

VAROOOOM!!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I LOVE YOU!!

At that point, the 3 people left in that roadside park quickly got into their cars and left. One of them driving a Prius @A Guy, and I swear he laid a black mark that would make a Hellcat jealous.

But not me. I sat there in the car, enjoying a post coital cigarette and grinning like a wolf sh*tting.

Then I continued on with my trip home.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Let set the scene for you. It was last Saturday during the heat of the day, and I had just headed back to Dallas thinking,”if I drive fast enough, the heater blowing on me won’t matter.

20 miles later I screech to halt in a roadside park along I-20, all sweaty and madder than a wet hen. I pop the trunk and unload about 200 lbs worth of stuff so I can pull the spare tire well cover up and start looking for the fuse to pull that will stop the heater.

10 long minutes later I find the one, THE one, and pull it. Alright, now load all the crap back in and resume trip, right? WRONG!!

I get back in the car and go to fire it up, but nothing. Not even a chime. It was at that point that I lost it and let out a guttural “REALLY?!?! WEEELL F#$K YOU!,

It was at that point that other people in the roadside park started expediting their rest breaks, packing up their children and pets, and leaving...in droves...quickly.

I calmly (from all outward appearances) got back out, emptied the trunk yet again, replaced the fuse previously pulled, and then started studying the fuse box cover. I had about 35 seconds before I was going to murder a car, 45 tops. I finally saw a relay labeled HVAC blower or something, so I yanked that puppy and tried again...slowly.

Pushed key FOB HARD against Start button: Ding!

VAROOOOM!!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I LOVE YOU!!

At that point, the 3 people left in that roadside park quickly got into their cars and left. One of them driving a Prius @A Guy, and I swear he laid a black mark that would make a Hellcat jealous.

But not me. I sat there in the car, enjoying a post coital cigarette and grinning like a wolf sh*tting.

Then I continued on with my trip home.
And this is exactly why there should be nothing "over the air" pushed to our vehicles, because once they hose the radio, they hose all sorts of other stuff, all the while not giving a poop that customers are SOL.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,948 Posts
Obsessive Compulsive GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Reactions: Nuke
1 - 13 of 13 Posts