Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Who make the best 180• thermostat for the 6.1 Hemi?

I have heard that some don't fit right.

Thanks
Jack

·
Registered
35 Posts
Most people have gone for the "JET" brand, but I was told Thursday that the one from Razors Edge Motorsports is exactly the same thermostat but 10-12 dollars cheaper. The gent I was talking to said they could have been manufactured in the same plant with different branding.

Maybe some of the old timer forum guys can comment better on this.

·
Registered
978 Posts
...and did YOU know that by holding "ALT" and typing "167" you can make the little "degrees" sign?

As in "Jet 180º thermostat"

:browsmiley: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I used a JET from summit

·
Registered
389 Posts
I installed a Jet 180 today. Easy do - 20 minutes. Perfect fit, "weep hole" at 12 o'clock position, good seal with the gasket. Reset the fans with my Predator - went for a good drive in/out traffic, highway, etc. Ran significantly cooler - no issues, no codes, worked exactly as advertised. Pay a few bucks (its less than $40) and get a quality T-stat.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Yep, running a Jet 180º here too!

·
Registered
145 Posts
...and did YOU know that by holding "ALT" and typing "167" you can make the little "degrees" sign?

As in "Jet 180º thermostat"

:browsmiley: :thumbsup:
Great tip! Ive always used alt 248 so my 180° t stat is on order as we speak! Im not sure if it comes with a small hole in it, but ive always just drilled a 1/8th hole in the t stat outer rim to get rid of air pockets.
Just fill and go.
Take it easy

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I installed a Jet 180 today. Easy do - 20 minutes. Perfect fit, "weep hole" at 12 o'clock position, good seal with the gasket. Reset the fans with my Predator - went for a good drive in/out traffic, highway, etc. Ran significantly cooler - no issues, no codes, worked exactly as advertised. Pay a few bucks (its less than $40) and get a quality T-stat.

Looks like the jet 180 is the way to go.

Thanks For the info

Jack

·
Registered
139 Posts
I believe the JET is the same as the Motorad. I ordered mine from JET but it says Motorad on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
i have the autozone one and one from napa. the autozone 4128 ran a little cold and threw codes. the napa one ran about 183 to 185 degrees and doesnt throw codes in my car. I wouldnt be concerned with the weep hole. Ive never had a problem with non weep hole tstats before

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I think jet turns them down a little to get them the right diameter. The motored is about 1 to 2 mm too large. I just took a file to mine and shave the edge ever so slightly.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My jet failed after 1 year so I just replaced it with 4128 from AZ. Both the jet and 4128 throw the coolant codes for me, but I just clear them with my predator.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
The $7 one from Napa isn't going to have a bypass on it. That's why the Jet costs a bit more. Not all thermostats are the same.
Yeah, what he said..

You also want to make sure you bleed the system correctly if you're a DIY'er. You leave air in the system you'll be asking for trouble. The bleeder is by the TStat housing facing the front of the car with a hex wrench fitting.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts