Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
I went with Expel. That's what my shop uses. Very happy with it.

Reactions: STINGRAY

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Shaker • F8 Green • 5.7 Liter Hemi • 6 Speed Manual
125 Posts
FWIW I have made arrangements to have mine done with Opticoat pro plus. Paint, wheels and windshield. This decision was mostly about price and good reviews on the product. I want to protect the glass and finish but I'm not prepared to go insane over it. If my Challenger still looks good when I drive it to my cemetery plot in a few years I'll be happy.

My regular detailer wanted $2k to do my new Challenger. I've used him for decades and there is no question in my mind that he'd do a great job. He's all about using the best products and doing very high quality work. Found a "gypsy" guy who's certified to install Opti and will do it for half the price. Had him do my Corvette mostly to check him out and the Vette looks totally amazing.

The fellow on here from Alabama went (IMHO) way over the top having his done and to be honest, I just don't need that kind of drama. He got amazing results and his blue SPWB looks insanely gorgeous but..... for me it's sort of like having furniture that is too nice to actually sit on. I want my shaker to always look good...or at least look clean. But if it keeps me from going out in the rain or taking it on gravel roads that sort of defeats the whole purpose of getting a car like this. At least to me. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went with Expel. That's what my shop uses. Very happy with it.
I have never heard of this other one. That's why I thought Expel was the best one. I heard the other brand protects better and doesn't show.

FWIW I have made arrangements to have mine done with Opticoat pro plus. Paint, wheels and windshield. This decision was mostly about price and good reviews on the product. I want to protect the glass and finish but I'm not prepared to go insane over it. If my Challenger still looks good when I drive it to my cemetery plot in a few years I'll be happy.

My regular detailer wanted $2k to do my new Challenger. I've used him for decades and there is no question in my mind that he'd do a great job. He's all about using the best products and doing very high quality work. Found a "gypsy" guy who's certified to install Opti and will do it for half the price. Had him do my Corvette mostly to check him out and the Vette looks totally amazing.

The fellow on here from Alabama went (IMHO) way over the top having his done and to be honest, I just don't need that kind of drama. He got amazing results and his blue SPWB looks insanely gorgeous but..... for me it's sort of like having furniture that is too nice to actually sit on. I want my shaker to always look good...or at least look clean. But if it keeps me from going out in the rain or taking it on gravel roads that sort of defeats the whole purpose of getting a car like this. At least to me. YMMV.
You can use PPF on the windshield and wheels too?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Same company. Different product/coating obviously.

I have nothing to base the results I should expect on. I rented a Challenger recently and put 7,300 miles on it. The windshield got peppered with gravel and rocks, especially around Louisiana. Put one crack in the windshield that I had to have Safelite come out to fix. So any coating not insanely priced that will help prevent a busted windshield is worth the cost to me.

Rented an R/T hemi Challenger last fall and the front end is an absolute bug magnet. My main interest in coating the paint is to make it easier to wash off the dead bug guts. It's a matter of time before a few self-absorbed narcissists ding the doors and getting upset or stressed about it will accomplish nothing. People on the roads drive as though their grossly incompetent abilities are not going to end their lives at any second yet also go around in deadly fear of this frigging virus. Was I really that stupid when I was in my 20's?

Since I seem to find myself surrounded by brain dead zombies I just can't bring myself to stress over the inevitable dings and chips that my poor little Challenger is going to endure. So... just taking reasonable albeit economical steps to at least mitigate the inevitable.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
I have never heard of this other one. That's why I thought Expel was the best one. I heard the other brand protects better and doesn't show.

I carry 0% deductible on comprehensive on my vehicle insurance. Rock damage to my windshield just means I get a new one free. If I catch a rock from another vehicle, I pray it does hit the windshield instead of the paint!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I carry 0% deductible on comprehensive on my vehicle insurance. Rock damage to my windshield just means I get a new one free. If I catch a rock from another vehicle, I pray it does hit the windshield instead of the paint!
The problem with that plan is that a replacement windshield is rarely as good as original equipment. Better to avoid having to replace it if at all possible.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
The problem with that plan is that a replacement windshield is rarely as good as original equipment. Better to avoid having to replace it if at all possible.
I've never been able to tell the difference looking out if you use a reputable replacement company. And if it breaks, another new one.
All windshield become "sand blasted" with time. This manifest into "starburst glare" of oncoming lights at night. I look forward to periodic replacements. From 2+ million miles of experience as a sales rep.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Preventable measures are best to avoid problem for as long as possible. Medical field prevention measures best methods is avoidance. Otherwise you are at the mercy of the skills of installer and quality of parts.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts
I don't follow that market, but I've not heard of any newcomers, and frankly, I'd prefer a company with a track record anyhow ;)

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts
All those listed frankly. 3M longest, self healing, XPEL longest. Longest isn't always a measure of best. You'll either settle on a film and find a detailer that installs it, or settle on a detailer, and use the film they like best

A Guy

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All those listed frankly. 3M longest, self healing, XPEL longest. Longest isn't always a measure of best. You'll either settle on a film and find a detailer that installs it, or settle on a detailer, and use the film they like best

A Guy
Right now for those who use Ceramic coating is it better to apply Ceramic coat first then top it off with PPF or better to apply PPF first then Ceramic coat on top of PPF?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts
PPF first, then coating 100%

A Guy

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
PPF first, then coating 100%

A Guy
Then bubble wrap entire car, put in garage, place car cover and never look at or touch again. Problem solved! ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I investigated doing PPF last spring when I first picked up my 2014 (with 1500 miles) and of the three I could see in-person installed -- Suntek, 3M, and Xpel -- Xpel looked the 'best'. At this point I've decided not to go that route because even 'best' did not look nearly as good as paint without, especially with a Shaker hood. PPF does what it's supposed to but it's not invisible. YMMV

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
I've never been able to tell the difference looking out if you use a reputable replacement company. And if it breaks, another new one.
All windshield become "sand blasted" with time. This manifest into "starburst glare" of oncoming lights at night. I look forward to periodic replacements. From 2+ million miles of experience as a sales rep.
This is how you know you got the right windshield.
Mine

Demon

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man
1 - 20 of 21 Posts